Remove this Banner Ad

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Windy Hill Safe Injecting Room
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Take out his coaching experience at an already successful Richmond and I'm not sure where the high rating is coming from.

A stint at St Kilda where they won finals on either side of his tenure.

A stint at Port that admittedly produced one grand final appearance but nothing else.

Hard to make head or tail of his coaching cv.

Yoko and me

All Australian
Oct 6, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Take out his coaching experience at an already successful Richmond and I'm not sure where the high rating is coming from.

A stint at St Kilda where they won finals on either side of his tenure.

A stint at Port that admittedly produced one grand final appearance but nothing else.

Hard to make head or tail of his coaching cv.
Schofield's CV is much more impressive

remfan101

Club Legend
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’d rather much Schofield over Kingsley is we are going the assistant coach route.
Kingsley seems to have lucked out at Richmond in 2019 and seen the last two flags. If he had arrived in 2016 it would have been more impressive.
Is 2 years at Richmond enough to wash off the stink of 8 years at 2010s St Kilda? Debatable imo.

Thewlis Dish

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2003
Five Star Laundry
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
So the biggest knock on Kingsley is he was at St Kilda as they rebuilt after Lyon's tenure?

I would hope we'd go a little deeper than just looking at win/loss records. I'd be more interested in what specific roles an assistant had at each club he's been at and how that translated to player development and effectiveness in those areas - for example he was the stoppage coach at Richmond this year, what were their clearance numbers this year? etc.

tazaa

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool
So the biggest knock on Kingsley is he was at St Kilda as they rebuilt after Lyon's tenure?

I would hope we'd go a little deeper than just looking at win/loss records. I'd be more interested in what specific roles an assistant had at each club he's been at and how that translated to player development and effectiveness in those areas - for example he was the stoppage coach at Richmond this year, what were their clearance numbers this year? etc.
I reckon hes lucked out by landing at Punt Road when he did.

FWIW Richmond finished 17th in the league for clearances in 2020. Power, Cats and Lions finished 1, 2 and 3. They are the exception not the norm.
The other teams landing in 15th 16th and 18th for clearances were Melbourne, Adelaide and Hawthorn.

Thewlis Dish

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2003
Five Star Laundry
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
I reckon hes lucked out by landing at Punt Road when he did.

FWIW Richmond finished 17th in the league for clearances in 2020. Power, Cats and Lions finished 1, 2 and 3. They are the exception not the norm.
The other teams landing in 15th 16th and 18th for clearances were Melbourne, Adelaide and Hawthorn.
I'm neither for or against Kingsley, would just hope we go a little deeper than how a club did in the time candidates were there.

Sep 29, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Warming more to Schofield every hour. Coached teams in his own right - including 3 flags in 5 years at Subiaco, and is credited with development of youth. Rozee, Butters and Duursma give him a great rap.

But then again, he needs to be interested in us first. Selling the opportunity will be hard work.

Hearts to hearts

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
Warming more to Schofield every hour. Coached teams in his own right - including 3 flags in 5 years at Subiaco, and is credited with development of youth. Rozee, Butters and Duursma give him a great rap.

But then again, he needs to be interested in us first. Selling the opportunity will be hard work.
Anyone’s who looks and can’t be excited by the opportunity doesn’t have the confidence and imagination we want.

King Corey

Jun 9, 2001
Windy Hill Safe Injecting Room
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Saying this unemotionally - if being the senior coach of a traditional club with a long history, prudently managed off-field with usually long coaching tenures and a list with a core of promising kids doesn't get him eager for the opportunity then any mutual interest should stop there.

We shouldn't be selling ourselves to anyone. All viable candidates should know exactly who we are and what the opportunity is. They either then want it or don't.

If any prospective senior coach would rather sit back and cherry-pick their club then that's their prerogative but they're not for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kool kangas

Premiership Player
Sep 2, 2007
Burnside
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne Vfl
Saying this unemotionally - if being the senior coach of a traditional club with a long history, prudently managed off-field with usually long coaching tenures and a list with a core of promising kids doesn't get him eager for the opportunity then any mutual interest should stop there.

We shouldn't be selling ourselves to anyone. All viable candidates should know exactly who we are and what the opportunity is. They either then want it or don't.

If any prospective senior coach would rather sit back and cherry-pick their club then that's their prerogative but they're not for us.
Sounds like something Brady Rawlings would say....

Ashley B

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2003
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
AFL coaching jobs are hard to get .Don’t let anyone fool u , we maybe struggling on field at the minute ,but we are a GREAT Club. Anyone wanting to coach at the highest level would be crazy not to want it. They will be able to build from the bottom up and be able to put their own stamp on things. Go The Mighty Roos

Tas

Premium Gold
Dec 23, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
There can be only one...
I just want a coach that isn't going to play this down the line bullshit and headless chicken rebound 50 game plan.

Marstermind

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I’d rather much Schofield over Kingsley is we are going the assistant coach route.
Kingsley seems to have lucked out at Richmond in 2019 and seen the last two flags. If he had arrived in 2016 it would have been more impressive.
Schofield has coached his own team before, Kingsley hasn't. That rules Kingsley out for me. Whilst it's not an exact science, we can't go for a guy who has only ever been an assistant and doesn't know what having your own team is like.

the Ziebull

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2010
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Yeah Schofield or Sam Mitchell if we want untried coach

Remove this Banner Ad