Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

And if I’m reading it correctly, Roos is just joining the panel and not the club in any coaching capacity?
Althopugh the wording "Roos joins North..." is odd if it's just to sit on a panel. The organisational psychologist isn't said to be "joining" the club, just doing a task.

Ben B
Ben A
Roos
Arch
Brady
Kangalicious
Terry Coyne (executive recruiter)
Bigfooty regular gets a hand in picking new coach! (Yes I know, not these days, but still.)

Althopugh the wording "Roos joins North..." is odd if it's just to sit on a panel. The organisational psychologist isn't said to be "joining" the club, just doing a task.

It may be a case that his role isn't defined until they choose the successful candidate. Ie - if it was someone like Lyon or Choco, then you probably wouldn't be appointing Roos as a director of coaching.

Hawks have appointed Mitchell as their head of player development and VFL coach.
I'm sure if he was interested and the best candidate for North the Hawks would let him go.

2019-current Port Adelaide Football Club midfield coach
2013-2018 Subiaco senior coach (WAFL)
2012-2013 Claremont assistant coach (WAFL)

WAFL

Subiaco premiership coach (2014, 2015, 2018)
Schofield's record at Subiaco needs context.

They've been consistently excellent for two decades, Schofield is one of four premiership coaches in that time. They have had certain, ahem, "advantages" in recruiting and are well-known as the richest club in a comp that has lots of struggling teams. So he's walked into a system that is well set-up, plenty of premiership players still running around (even played in a GF under a terrible coach like Chris Waterman) and just had to recover a bit of ground. Not saying he can't coach, it's more that if he were to coach us, the experience of coaching premiership sides will be vastly different to what is required with us right now.

2019: Premiers (Coach: Beau Wardman)
2018: Premiers (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2017: Runner-Up (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2016: Runner-Up (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2015: Premiers (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2014: Premiers (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2013: Eighth (Coach: Jarrad Schofield)
2012: Seventh (Coach: Chris Waterman)
2011: Runner-Up (Coach: Chris Waterman)
2010: Sixth (Coach: Chris Waterman)
2009: Runner-Up (Coach: Scott Watters)
2008: Premiers (Coach: Scott Watters)
2007: Premiers (Coach: Scott Watters)
2006: Premiers (Coach: Peter German)
2005: Third (Minor premiers but lost prelim) (Coach: Peter German)
2004: Premiers (Coach: Peter German)
2003: Runner-Up (Coach: Peter German)
2002: Third (Second on ladder but lost prelim) (Coach: Kevan Sparkes)
2001: Fourth (Coach: Kevan Sparkes)
2000: Third (Second on ladder but lost prelim) (Coach: Kevan Sparkes)
1999: Third (Coach: Kevan Sparkes)

The organisational psychologist isn't said to be "joining" the club, just doing a task.

I have heard that both a psychologist and doctor will be running for the board at the next election.

We seem to be very health and welfare focused compared to a Richmond who are stacked with sports administrators (Gale, Speed, Dunne, O'Rourke).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have heard that both a psychologist and doctor will be running for the board at the next election.

We seem to be very health and welfare focused compared to a Richmond who are stacked with sports administrators (Gale, Speed, Dunne, O'Rourke).

A huge key to Richmond's success was psychological. Look up Brené Brown.

A huge key to Richmond's success was psychological. Look up Brené Brown.

No doubt. When you read what Grimes and Hardwick have said about Brene Brown, her works have had a big impact on their club. Looking at Richmond's board of directors though, it is exclusively business leaders and hard edge sports administrators.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back