Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

HS article
Top name pulls out of Kangaroos coach race
A high-profile name has pulled out of the race for the Kangaroos head coach job, as a committee that includes Paul Roos and Glenn Archer is put together to find Rhyce Shaw’s replacement.

Jon Ralph, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
Subscriber only
|
October 29, 2020 1:29pm
Hogan linked with GWS move
AFL: There are still plenty of trade whispers fluttering around with…
Ross Lyon has told North Melbourne he is not a contender for their vacant coaching role as club great David King warned applicants worried about future job security they shouldn’t even bother applying.

The Roos on Thursday formed a coaching selection panel that includes premiership coach Paul Roos, who was to be Rhyce Shaw’s part-time mentor but will likely take up another role at Arden St next year.

Also on a panel that will not be dictated to by next week’s trade period kick-off are CEO Ben Amarfio, football boss Brady Rawlings, club powerbroker Glenn Archer, board member Sonja Hood and Center for Leadership Advantage co-founder Terry Coyne.

The club has whittled down a long list of up to 30 candidates to about 10, with former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Lyon making clear he did not want to be interviewed.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

Ross Lyon will not be going for the North Melbourne job. Picture: AAP Image/Richard Wainwright
Ross Lyon will not be going for the North Melbourne job. Picture: AAP Image/Richard Wainwright
It is understood some contenders for the role are hesitant given the length of the rebuild and new AFL rules that encourage small payouts to sacked coaches.

The club’s full list rebuild will likely take up to five seasons, with Lions legend Jon Brown suggesting contenders including Michael Voss might be scared off by a lack of job security.

But King said it was “laughable” to suggest the Roos had to offer a long-term guaranteed deal because of the size of the challenge.

The Herald Sun reported this week the Roos’ status as a “non-assisted” AFL club meant they could offer longer than six months as a payout if they sacked the coach mid-rebuild.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

But King said yesterday he was affronted by the suggestion some coaches might be scared off by the scope of the rebuild or their inability to get a fat payout if they were sacked.

Rhyce Shaw has stepped aside as Kangaroos coach. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
Rhyce Shaw has stepped aside as Kangaroos coach. Picture: Michael Willson/AFL Photos
His comments seem pointed in the direction of coaches like Brown’s premiership teammate Voss who might be waiting for the perfect opening to return to senior coaching.

“If you have concerns about a six-month payout or are demanding a four or five-year deal, then don’t bother applying,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I just don’t understand why the Kangaroos have to give guarantees no one else does. There are 18 jobs like this in the country. If you sit back and wait for the perfect one, you might be left holding the can.

“Not one Kangaroos supporter will be judging the next 24 months on wins and losses.

“We want to come along the ride. We understand this is a big task with half a dozen good kids who are there and with the young players to build around yet to be drafted.

MORE AFL NEWS

“I find the whole notion that a coach needs a guarantee to come and coach North Melbourne laughable. The Kangaroos didn’t walk Rhyce Shaw out the door, Brad Scott moved on after nine years as a coach after a whole difference of opinion and a whole range of other reasons that never became public. It would be a dangerous thing to be the man who said, ‘I don’t want that job’.

“For people to say you need a four or five-year guarantee before you take the job, if that person isn’t prepared to back themselves, maybe it’s not the job for them.

“There is no real pressure on wins and losses for two and a half years. We want a coach who will thrive, not count his cash or look at his bank balance.”

He said Chris Fagan’s first two seasons at Brisbane clearing out the list cloggers then drafting elite talent showed the way forward for the Roos.

Fagan won five games in each of his first two seasons at Brisbane before 16 and 15-win seasons.

Discover our Daily Sports Newsletter
Get the latest sports news delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Sign me up

North 2020 manufactured news story No. 1,726

“If you have concerns about a six-month payout or are demanding a four or five-year deal, then don’t bother applying,” he told the Herald Sun.

“I just don’t understand why the Kangaroos have to give guarantees no one else does. There are 18 jobs like this in the country. If you sit back and wait for the perfect one, you might be left holding the can.

“Not one Kangaroos supporter will be judging the next 24 months on wins and losses.

“We want to come along the ride. We understand this is a big task with half a dozen good kids who are there and with the young players to build around yet to be drafted.

MORE AFL NEWS

“I find the whole notion that a coach needs a guarantee to come and coach North Melbourne laughable. The Kangaroos didn’t walk Rhyce Shaw out the door, Brad Scott moved on after nine years as a coach after a whole difference of opinion and a whole range of other reasons that never became public. It would be a dangerous thing to be the man who said, ‘I don’t want that job’.

And just like that, I love Kingy again

Michael Voss name keeps popping up in the media and even Scooby has mentioned we are hot on him

Wtf has he done? He did nothing at Brisbane (was it 4 years?) I honestly don’t know how or why he fits North?

I hope we take our due diligence with this. Extremely important we get this right
Anybody who was at Brisbane Bears for any reason whatsoever can bugger off.

I’ve known Bruno Conti for years. He’s not just a head hunter in a suit. He has a long distinguished footy career both on field and off at VAFA level (where my old man played).

Not that i give a toss about PC snowflakes, but i know this board is super lefty so you probably should be aware of your racism (if you buy into this sort of thing)

White People Using GIFs of Black People Are Now Guilty of ‘Digital Blackface’

Its also guilty to assume BF posters showing black people gif's are white people.

Please whats the world coming to.

I’ve known Bruno Conti for years. He’s not just a head hunter in a suit. He has a long distinguished footy career both on field and off at VAFA level (where my old man played).

Chadstone Grammar?

Can you please deliver him this cryptic message?

XDXOXNXOXTXHXIXRXEXMXIXCXHXAXEXLXVXOXSXSX

Thanks.

Of course you have, Toes.

Any relation to Monique, who goes alright at the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Herald Sun reporting that Ross Lyon has told us he's not going to apply for the coaching role.

Best news of the week.
source.gif

HS article
Top name pulls out of Kangaroos coach race
A high-profile name has pulled out of the race for the Kangaroos head coach job, as a committee that includes Paul Roos and Glenn Archer is put together to find Rhyce Shaw’s replacement.

Jon Ralph, News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
Subscriber only
|
October 29, 2020 1:29pm
Hogan linked with GWS move
AFL: There are still plenty of trade whispers fluttering around with…
Ross Lyon has told North Melbourne he is not a contender for their vacant coaching role as club great David King warned applicants worried about future job security they shouldn’t even bother applying.

The Roos on Thursday formed a coaching selection panel that includes premiership coach Paul Roos, who was to be Rhyce Shaw’s part-time mentor but will likely take up another role at Arden St next year.

Also on a panel that will not be dictated to by next week’s trade period kick-off are CEO Ben Amarfio, football boss Brady Rawlings, club powerbroker Glenn Archer, board member Sonja Hood and Center for Leadership Advantage co-founder Terry Coyne.

The club has whittled down a long list of up to 30 candidates to about 10, with former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Lyon making clear he did not want to be interviewed.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

It is understood some contenders for the role are hesitant given the length of the rebuild and new AFL rules that encourage small payouts to sacked coaches.

The club’s full list rebuild will likely take up to five seasons, with Lions legend Jon Brown suggesting contenders including Michael Voss might be scared off by a lack of job security.

But King said it was “laughable” to suggest the Roos had to offer a long-term guaranteed deal because of the size of the challenge.

The Herald Sun reported this week the Roos’ status as a “non-assisted” AFL club meant they could offer longer than six months as a payout if they sacked the coach mid-rebuild.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Basketball is back on Foxtel with the NBA and NBL Foxtel Now 10 day free trial*

But King said yesterday he was affronted by the suggestion some coaches might be scared off by the scope of the rebuild or their inability to get a fat payout if they were sacked.

His comments seem pointed in the direction of coaches like Brown’s premiership teammate Voss who might be waiting for the perfect opening to return to senior coaching.

MORE AFL NEWS

“For people to say you need a four or five-year guarantee before you take the job, if that person isn’t prepared to back themselves, maybe it’s not the job for them.

“There is no real pressure on wins and losses for two and a half years. We want a coach who will thrive, not count his cash or look at his bank balance.”

He said Chris Fagan’s first two seasons at Brisbane clearing out the list cloggers then drafting elite talent showed the way forward for the Roos.

Fagan won five games in each of his first two seasons at Brisbane before 16 and 15-win seasons.

Discover our Daily Sports Newsletter
Get the latest sports news delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Sign me up
Well done Kingy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back