Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

He said he'd definitely talk to us, and provided some compelling reasons why it should happen.
My preferences for 2021 Coach:
1. Rhyce
2. Choco
3. Whoever

If Shawry can’t go on, Choco is seeming more and more like a really good option.

I’d happily back in Blakey. Why isn’t he being discussed as a potential candidate?

If not him then I’d go all in on Mark Williams. He is quirky, but a fantastic leader. Have mates that played under him at Werribee and they can’t believe he isn’t in the AFL system.

Ive been big on Peter Sumich as a development type coach for a long time. His track record of developing players out of the WAFL system is seriously impressive.

Are there collective thoughts whi think Shaw required more senior experience/ guidance last year? Was it mainly Rawlings and Crocker? Was crocker even there?

I've been a Choco fan since forever, and he would be great for multiple reasons. But the one thing that makes him even more appealing at the moment is that chip he proudly carries on his shoulder. Suits us perfectly I reckon.
Dunno, maybe,,,,, have you met the guy?

If the Tigers win the flag this Saturday, why don't we see if we can prise Balmey out of Richmond and come over as the Director of Coaching and then either hope Shawry, or one of the better Assistant Coaches, can do the job, supported by Blakey?

If the Tigers win the flag this Saturday, why don't we see if we can prise Balmey out of Richmond and come over as the Director of Coaching and then either hope Shawry, or one of the better Assistant Coaches, can do the job, supported by Blakey?
Well no one sitting in the stalls expected Ron Barassi to come to NMFC.

That must have pissed off many at the time :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My strong preference is Mark Williams. I enjoyed the way his Port Adelaide teams played, and Port Adelaide seems a lot like North Melbourne in terms of culture.

If we go with someone with as not as much experience, I would try to bring in Denis Pagan as the Director of Football (to play a role similar to what Neil Balme does).

We should also have a serious go at hiring Lisa Alexander as an assistant coach. Hiring her as the senior coach will be too hard for us to do given where we are at, but we should try to convince her to come on board as an assistant: think https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09...to-throw-hat-in-for-next-afl-senior-coaching/.

Last edited:
He would have been a long shot, but scratch Marty Mattner from that list. He has rejoined the Double Blues, replacing Nathan Grima as Sturt Coach.

Chocco for me, clearly can coach, but is a terrific mentor and teacher. He would burn for another opportunity and would embrace our club.

Last edited:
Have a feeling Voss will be in the box seat to be head coach, would love to poach someone like Mitchell to be an assistant, especially for our midfield but that won't happen as he's looking to be Clarko's replacement I'm sure.

However one that is gettable is Balmey, North should absolutely be asking the question of him to acquire his services in any capacity.

If Voss isn't ready, get him anyway and we can have someone like Choco being the head coach.

All in all though, I don't like speculating in this way, I was quite happy with Rhyce as our guy.

My strong preference is Mark Williams. I enjoyed the way his Port Adelaide teams played, and Port Adelaide seems a lot like North Melbourne in terms of culture.

If we go with someone with as not as much experience, I would try to bring in Denis Pagan as the Director of Football (to play a role similar to what Neil Balme does).

We should also have a serious go at hiring Lisa Alexander as an assistant coach. Hiring her as the senior coach will be too hard for us to do given where we are at, but we should try to convince her to come on board as an assistant: think https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/09...to-throw-hat-in-for-next-afl-senior-coaching/.

The way the game is going Lisa would make a great head coach

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mitchell has to be in there somewhere. 4 flags under Clarko, then another with Simmo. That's top shelf pedigree, knows what it takes to win and coach flags in the modern era. Has the Brady connection. Bit of mongrel about him too, won't take s**t from anyone, will put nuffies in their place who want to take swipes at us.

Voss and Sando..... do. not want.

When I hear Choco talk, he strikes me as someone always frustrated and wanting to pick a fight, a constant chip on his shoulder. Not sure about him

Denis has been out of the game for too long for a hands on football role. Plus he's too old school, I'm not sure his approach and thinking would be relevant or resonate with modern day football.

I think Mark Choco Williams is the man. He can handle any pressure that the media may throw at him will be water off a ducks back. Also he has always been great with young playing groups hence why he was at GWS under Sheedy when they started with such a young group.
Yet they chose not to go with him as Sheedy's successor.

Plus, let's not forget that his final years at Port weren't great, left the list in pretty bad shape, the s**t show that Primus took over.

Great’s second chance, Ross back as the boss? If North needs a coach, here are the contenders

If North Melbourne needs to find a new senior coach for 2021, who could they opt for?

The AFL community has rallied around Rhyce Shaw after North Melbourne confirmed the coach would be taking a period of leave.

The Kangaroos won’t rush Shaw to resume his duties with the club, and they’re likely to head into trade and draft period without a senior leader.
While there’s nothing confirmed, there’s a very real but unfortunate possibility the club will need to find a new coach for 2021.

There are multiple options around the AFL landscape, but an experienced head is sure to be looked at favourably.

Paul Roos appears certain to join in a mentor style role, while John Blakey returns to Arden Street as a senior assistant.

Michael Voss could have a second crack at a senior coaching role, with Nick Riewoldt and Jason Dunstall believing the current Port Adelaide assistant deserved another chance.

“No doubt if you do everything you’ve ever done before a second time around, you’re going to have a better frame of mind to attack it,” Riewoldt said on Fox Footy.

“You’re not going to make the same mistakes again. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t someone like that that ends up securing the job, if indeed it becomes available.”

Dunstall added: “It’s going to be a very testing environment for any coach that does come in to the mix.

“I’d be very surprised if Michael Voss doesn’t get a look at it, particularly after we’ve seen the way that Brett Ratten has adapted in his second time around at the Saints.

“You’ve got to be a much better coach second time around because you’ve learnt so many things – what you did wrong, the little things you did right – you’ve gathered more experience. He might be the man in my eyes, but it’s going to be a very interesting search.”

Voss coached 109 games at the Lions between 2009 and 2013, before being sacked before the end of the home and away season.

He has since worked hard at the Power under Ken Hinkley as midfield coach.

Former St Kilda and Fremantle coach Ross Lyon’s name has been mooted by a number of former AFL players, but a complete rebuild like North is likely to required appears unlikely to take his fancy according to Riewoldt.

“I don’t think so. I think the one thing that would drive Ross Lyon in terms of a coaching opportunity would be the opportunity to do the one thing he hasn’t done, which is coaching a premiership,’ he said.

“Without speaking on Rossy’s behalf …. I don’t think a five to 10-year rebuild is part of his plans.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back