Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's put our coaching selection hats on and make a list. Select your five best candidates for the senior coaching role:

Coaches

Andy Collins, Adrian Fletcher, Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss*, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Gary Ayres*, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Matthew Knights*, Brenton Sanderson*, Mark Williams*, Craig Jennings, Paul Roos*, John Worsfold*, Don Pyke*, Peter German, Anthony Rock, Leigh Adams, John Barker, Ross Lyon*.

* Denotes senior coaching experience

How AFL clubs pick coaches: The hidden process

Last edited:
Agree, it’s great that JB had a crack back at her, better then Carey on the weekend he could have said the Club is doing it tuff at the moment and I wouldn't mind hearing more from the club, but no he had to say we have cancer running through us, and give more bullets to Wilson and the rest of the sheep.
This has been pointed out and you should listen to the entire audio.

From listening I reckon Wayne was saying all you have to go on is the stories that are saying there’s a cancer going through the club and without a counter that’s what everyone takes as truth. I think the media took parts of his comments and ran with it. He could have taken a leaf out of JB’s book and emphasised some of the positives but the storm off the back of what he said is ridiculous.

Let's put our coaching selection hats on and make a list. Select your five best candidates for the senior coaching role:

Coaches

Andy Collins, Adrian Fletcher, Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss*, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Gary Ayres*, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Matthew Knights*, Brenton Sanderson*, Mark Williams*, Craig Jennings, Paul Roos*, John Worsfold*.

* Denotes senior coach experience

Allow me to take a shot........

1) Mark Williams
2) Adam Kingsley
3) Brenton Sanderson
4) Dean Solomon
5) Jarrad Schofield.

Not listed but worth a phone call: Al Clarkson, Don Pyke, Peter German.

I am growing fond of the idea of Roos/Williams with Leigh Adams as understudy and eventual handover.

Andy Collins, Adrian Fletcher, Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss*, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Gary Ayres*, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Matthew Knights*, Brenton Sanderson*, Mark Williams*, Craig Jennings, Paul Roos*, John Worsfold*, Don Pyke*, Peter German, Anthony Rock, Leigh Adams, John Barker.
1. Adam Simpson
2. Choco Williams
3. Blake Caracella
4. Scott Burns
5. Jarrad Schofield

Allow me to take a shot........

1) Mark Williams
2) Adam Kingsley
3) Brenton Sanderson
4) Dean Solomon
5) Jarrad Schofield.

Not listed but worth a phone call: Al Clarkson, Don Pyke, Peter German.

I am growing fond of the idea of Roos/Williams with Leigh Adams as understudy and eventual handover.

What has Leigh Adams demonstrated to have anyone hankering for him as an understudy?

He played for us, I get it. And..?

What has Leigh Adams demonstrated to have anyone hankering for him as an understudy?

He played for us, I get it. And..?

Flag at Blackburn and then a VFL gig at Coburg.

I liked Rhyce's approach getting those who'd had their own teams around him as assistants.

And then we dished up 2020.

Shows what I know.

I’d like to see Williams’ reaction when he’s told he has a mentor.
In that situation Roos would probably be more of a mentor to our younger coaching staff. Means we could take on some really talented people with potentially less 'senior AFL' experience more viable to bring on and way cheaper than trying to poach from other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide assistant coach Michael Voss admits he remains keen to become a senior coach again, but has played down links between he and North Melbourne, who could be on the lookout for a new senior coach.

From my perspective I’ve been working with Chris and Ken about what next year looks like for me and we’re working through the details of what that looks like. From my point of view it’s Port Adelaide,” he said.

“I love what I do here, I love the role that I’ve played this year and I’ve really enjoyed working with the players and all the work I do in that space so we’ll continue to do that.”

1. Mark Williams
2. Adam Kingsley (Roos as Mentor) for the first year
3. Jarrad Scholfield (Roos as Mentor) for the first year
4. Gary Ayres
5. Michael Voss (only filling up the 5th spot)

Coaches

Andy Collins, Adrian Fletcher, Peter Sumich, Dean Solomon, Michael Voss*, Scott Burns, Nathan Bassett, Michael Prior, Robert Harvey, Gary Ayres*, Adam Kingsley, Blake Caracella, Marc Webb, Jarrad Schofield, Sam Mitchell, Ben Hart, Marty Mattner, David Noble, Darren Glass, Matthew Knights*, Brenton Sanderson*, Mark Williams*, Craig Jennings, Paul Roos*, John Worsfold*, Don Pyke*, Peter German, Anthony Rock, Leigh Adams, John Barker, Ross Lyon*.

* Denotes senior coaching experience

Andy Collins would be worth a look.

Port Adelaide assistant coach Michael Voss admits he remains keen to become a senior coach again, but has played down links between he and North Melbourne, who could be on the lookout for a new senior coach.

From my perspective I’ve been working with Chris and Ken about what next year looks like for me and we’re working through the details of what that looks like. From my point of view it’s Port Adelaide,” he said.

“I love what I do here, I love the role that I’ve played this year and I’ve really enjoyed working with the players and all the work I do in that space so we’ll continue to do that.”

Good, stay at Port. Next.

I do think North should look at experience as a top priority so we don't run into a situation where the coach gets the axe within the year or couple years, we need someone to steady the ship, be a wiser head of the group and guide what is going to be a predominantly young group of guys going forward to get the club to the top again.

As Gaz pointed out On The Couch, we do have a lot of parallels with the Lions in recent years, and I think the Chris Fagan model of appointment was a very big part of that.

I do think North should look at experience as a top priority so we don't run into a situation where the coach gets the axe within the year or couple years, we need someone to steady the ship, be a wiser head of the group and guide what is going to be a predominantly young group of guys going forward to get the club to the top again.

As Gaz pointed out On The Couch, we do have a lot of parallels with the Lions in recent years, and I think the Chris Fagan model of appointment was a very big part of that.
How much did Hodge have to do with Fagan's success do you reckon?

Looking at that list makes it tough.
Sam Mitchell
Matthew Knights
Michael Voss
Dean Solomon
Luke Hodge as a out of the box selection

How much did Hodge have to do with Fagan's success do you reckon?

Has to be some credit there I think, even if it was just pure backline general type stuff but clearly he was directing the field, would've allowed Brisbane to get orders out faster than using a runner and set up for plays in moments where the coach can't really do much.

An experienced older player like him is something pretty much any young team should have, but its different when its like Ablett at GC for instance who was there for just star attraction and to be a good player.

Hodge, while limited, was sent there to be an on-field coach of sorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back