Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Would James Hird be too far out of the stretch especially with how it ended with Rhyce?
EC17B68D-77E0-4729-940F-2486D97FC495.jpeg

North Melbourne chairman Ben Buckley says there is “no one we won’t talk to” about the club’s vacant coaching role, confident the Roos’ comprehensive rebuild will not scare away any prospective candidates.
Rhyce Shaw has moved on from North Melbourne by mutual agreement after accepting a payout as he deals with personal issues.

Buckley told the Herald Sun the Roos would draw up an exhaustive short list, with Ross Lyon and Michael Voss expected to be in that group of candidates.

He said the Roos were in no hurry to appoint a replacement before the trade period as the club assembles a selection panel expected to include premiership coach Paul Roos.

Buckley, CEO Ben Armarfio and head of football Brady Rawligs will be joined by outside consultants.

Buckley again declared the Roos would never move full-time to Tasmania and said reports Rawlings had been overruled by the club’s board on coaching roles were “complete nonsense”.

He paid tribute to Shaw’s integrity, but said the club would move quickly to secure the best possible coach.

“We want to get moving quickly but we will take the appropriate amount of time to get it right. If it extends beyond the obvious draft or trade period then so be it,” he said.

“The challenge is there and coaches by their nature are the sort of people who want challenges so I don’t think anyone would be deterred by any of that.

“There is no one we won’t talk to. Everyone who is available will be in the frame.

“I think it’s an exciting opportunity given we had the highest number of Rising Stars in the competition over the past few years and then we have really exciting proven performers. Then you have a strong hand at the draft and you put it together and it’s an exciting combination.”

Asked about the club’s interest in Michael Voss, he replied: “I just won’t speculate on anyone.

There are a lot of talented individuals out there. Some with experience and some will less experience and we will assess all of them.”

About reports head of football Rawlings was overruled by the board, he said: “I have seen those reports and it’s a total misrepresentation.”

“He has had a challenging first year as have all the staff and he’s doing an outstanding job,” he said.

“The work he has done around list management has been clear and concise and well-articulated.

“It’s a necessary decision we need to make and he and Scott Clayton and Glenn Luff are the group of guys to execute it well.”

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

North Melbourne chairman Ben Buckley says there is “no one we won’t talk to” about the club’s vacant coaching role, confident the Roos’ comprehensive rebuild will not scare away any prospective candidates.
Rhyce Shaw has moved on from North Melbourne by mutual agreement after accepting a payout as he deals with personal issues.

Buckley told the Herald Sun the Roos would draw up an exhaustive short list, with Ross Lyon and Michael Voss expected to be in that group of candidates.

He said the Roos were in no hurry to appoint a replacement before the trade period as the club assembles a selection panel expected to include premiership coach Paul Roos.

Buckley, CEO Ben Armarfio and head of football Brady Rawligs will be joined by outside consultants.

Buckley again declared the Roos would never move full-time to Tasmania and said reports Rawlings had been overruled by the club’s board on coaching roles were “complete nonsense”.

He paid tribute to Shaw’s integrity, but said the club would move quickly to secure the best possible coach.

“We want to get moving quickly but we will take the appropriate amount of time to get it right. If it extends beyond the obvious draft or trade period then so be it,” he said.

“The challenge is there and coaches by their nature are the sort of people who want challenges so I don’t think anyone would be deterred by any of that.

“There is no one we won’t talk to. Everyone who is available will be in the frame.

“I think it’s an exciting opportunity given we had the highest number of Rising Stars in the competition over the past few years and then we have really exciting proven performers. Then you have a strong hand at the draft and you put it together and it’s an exciting combination.”

Asked about the club’s interest in Michael Voss, he replied: “I just won’t speculate on anyone.

There are a lot of talented individuals out there. Some with experience and some will less experience and we will assess all of them.”

About reports head of football Rawlings was overruled by the board, he said: “I have seen those reports and it’s a total misrepresentation.”

“He has had a challenging first year as have all the staff and he’s doing an outstanding job,” he said.

“The work he has done around list management has been clear and concise and well-articulated.

“It’s a necessary decision we need to make and he and Scott Clayton and Glenn Luff are the group of guys to execute it well.”

Expect a stream of tabloid media bullshit related to who doesn't want to coach North.

Put your house on it.

adas

All Australian
Mar 22, 2010
Port Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My mail is that Adam Kingsley is chip leader as it stands.

Still plenty of water to go under the bridge though

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
Having this discussion is not disrespectful to anyone.

Not a fan of Voss.

I think Lyon could be good in a Woosh type situation to steady the ship for a year or two. List managers manage the list and Ross coaches.

Choko is another that has been mentioned that could be good.

End of the day whoever we get has to be surrounded by good people.

Given that we just sacked all our assistant coaches I don't think we did that with Shaw.

Another massive decision to be made and we can't afford to * it up

Interesting.

Coaching Experience
Port Adelaide Assistant Coach – 2006-2010
St Kilda Assistant Coach – 2011-2018
Richmond Assistant Coach - 2019 - Current

After retiring at the end of 2006, he became an assistant coach at Port Adelaide for four years. A Port Adelaide premiership player in 2004, Kingsley joined St Kilda as offensive coach ahead of the 2011 season. In 2012 he moved into a midfield role with the Saints to work on the on ball unit.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said: "We're really impressed with Adam and feel that he'll be a great addition to Richmond's coaching department.

"With 12 years' coaching experience, Adam sees the game really well, is a strong communicator, and we feel that he'll connect really well with our coaches and players, and complement our coaching program."

A highly credentialed coach, Kingsley is a graduate of the inaugural Level Four Coaches Program, was named the AFL Coaches Association’s Assistant Coach of the Year in 2015, and is very highly regarded by his peers.

Resurrected Ellis's career at the Tigers

Jarrad Schofield

He started as an assistant coach at Claremont in the WAFL in 2012 for just one year after being offered the senior coaching role at Subiaco.

Schofield won three flags in six years as head coach of the Lions, as well as, playing in another two grand finals, to go down as the most successful coach in their history.

At the end of the 2018 season, Schofield was offered his first coaching role in the AFL, seeing him return to Alberton as the midfield coach.

Coaching career

2019-current Port Adelaide Football Club midfield coach
2013-2018
Subiaco senior coach (WAFL)
2012-2013 Claremont assistant coach (WAFL)

Achievements
3x WAFL premiership coach (2014, 2015, 2018)

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/teams/coaches/jarrad-schofield

Schofield would become the 11th of the 22 players in Mark Williams’ 2004 premiership team to advance from playing to an AFL senior or assistant coaching role or take up a significant role in an AFL football department. The most successful in coaching is Damien Hardwick as the Richmond premiership coach. The most promising in football administration is Josh Mahoney as the rebuild at Melbourne creates great expectation.

WAFL mastermind Jarrad Schofield accepts coaching job with Port Adelaide

WAFL triple-premiership coach Jarrad Schofield will leave Subiaco and join Port Adelaide’s coaching ranks ahead of next year’s AFL campaign.

Schofield has long been viewed as a promising candidate for higher honours and turned down a plum assistant coaching role with Adelaide at the end of 2016 to fine-tune his craft at a lower level.

He garnered more attention at the end of 2017 but vowed to atone for consecutive grand final losses to a Dockers-laden Peel Thunder outfit .

Schofield did so in emphatic fashion, with Sunday’s 81-point drubbing of West Perth making his team the first WAFL side to go through a whole season undefeated in 72 years.

The 43-year-old’s recruitment is a coup for Port Adelaide, which reportedly beat cross-town rivals Adelaide - among other clubs - to his signature.

A member of Port Adelaide’s 2004 premiership side, Schofield guided Subiaco to three flags and five grand finals in six years at the helm.

He becomes the 11th player from that 22 to secure a job as an AFL senior or assistant coach, or take up an important role in an AFL club’s football department.

It is understood the Lions have been resigned to losing him for the best part of this season.

In a statement on the club’s website, Subiaco thanked Schofield for his efforts.

‘The Subiaco Football club wishes to congratulate league coach Jarrad Schofield, who has accepted a coaching role with Port Adelaide next season,’ it read.

‘This is a wonderful achievement for Jarrad and the club is delighted that it has been able to assist an aspiring young coach to achieve success in the WAFL and be rewarded with an opportunity at AFL level.

‘Jarrad has had strong involvement with both the Subiaco and Port Adelaide football clubs and the club wishes to pass on its best wishes to Jarrad for the next step in his coaching journey.’

Last edited:

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
We need to see the list of candidates. Surely not everyone spoken about as a potential coach will be putting themselves forward.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
Jarrad Schofield number 1 choice
Sam Mitchell number 2 choice
I'd love Luke Beveridge but won't happen.

Robert Harvey

Coaching Experience

Carlton Assistant Coach 2008 - 2010
St Kilda Assistant Coach 2011
St Kilda Interim Senior Coach 2011
Collingwood Senior Assistant Coach 2012 – current

One of the most decorated players of all-time,Harvey’s playing career with St Kilda came to an end in 2008 after 21 seasons and 383 games. A winner of consecutive Brownlow medals in 1997 and 1998, eight All Australian berths and four Best and Fairest wins,Harvey returned to the Saints as assistant coach in 2011 after two years as development coach at Carlton. Following the shock move of Ross Lyon to St Kilda,Harvey made the tough decision to once again leave his beloved Saints to experience another environment and further hone his coaching skills. As a result season 2012 saw him as Nathan Buckley’s right hand man at Collingwood. Harvey will play a significant role for the Magpies and Buckley in their quest for Premiership glory.

Scott Burns

Coaching Experience

West Coast Eagles Assistant Coach 2009 – 2013
Collingwood Football Club Midfield Coach 2014 – 2017
Hawthorn Football Club Assistant Coach – 2018 - 2020
Adelaide Assistant Coach - 2020 - current

After 264 games for Collingwood, including the captaincy for the 2008 season, Burns retired from playing AFL and joined the West Coast coaching panel in season 2009. Scott played a key role in West Coast’s climb back up the ladder to play finals football again. 2014 then saw Scott return home to Collingwood where he undertook an assistant coaching role within the midfield. Scott moved to the Hawthorn Football Club ahead of the 2018 season where he is now an assistant coach under Alistair Clarkson.

Highly rated assistant to become Nicks' right-hand man

He has been in AFL coaching ranks for over a decade, with successful stints at West Coast and Collingwood, and will now mentor Adelaide's defenders.

Originally from Norwood, he also enjoyed a decorated on-field career, playing 264 AFL games with Collingwood and captaining the club.

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly described Burns as a quality person whose skills and experience are well suited to the current profile of the playing list.

“Scott is highly regarded by everyone he has worked with across the industry,” Kelly said.

“We are excited by what he will bring to our coaching group, having gleaned knowledge and experience from some of the best coaches of the modern era.

“He knows what it takes to be part of a successful football program and we can’t wait for him to start.”

Burns is excited at the prospect of working with Adelaide’s emerging players.

“When I reflect on my coaching career so far, the most enjoyable and rewarding times have been working with a developing playing list, with young players supported by strong on-field leaders,” Burns said.

“The Crows have talked about transitioning their list and we saw positive signs in the last few weeks of the season.

“I feel as though my skills and experience can help Nicksy and the other coaches, as well as the playing group, going forward.”

Scott Burns

Coaching Experience

West Coast Eagles Assistant Coach 2009 – 2013
Collingwood Football Club Midfield Coach 2014 – 2017
Hawthorn Football Club Assistant Coach – 2018 - 2020
Adelaide Assistant Coach - 2020 - current

After 264 games for Collingwood, including the captaincy for the 2008 season, Burns retired from playing AFL and joined the West Coast coaching panel in season 2009. Scott played a key role in West Coast’s climb back up the ladder to play finals football again. 2014 then saw Scott return home to Collingwood where he undertook an assistant coaching role within the midfield. Scott moved to the Hawthorn Football Club ahead of the 2018 season where he is now an assistant coach under Alistair Clarkson.

Highly rated assistant to become Nicks' right-hand man

He has been in AFL coaching ranks for over a decade, with successful stints at West Coast and Collingwood, and will now mentor Adelaide's defenders.

Originally from Norwood, he also enjoyed a decorated on-field career, playing 264 AFL games with Collingwood and captaining the club.

Crows Head of Football Adam Kelly described Burns as a quality person whose skills and experience are well suited to the current profile of the playing list.

“Scott is highly regarded by everyone he has worked with across the industry,” Kelly said.

“We are excited by what he will bring to our coaching group, having gleaned knowledge and experience from some of the best coaches of the modern era.

“He knows what it takes to be part of a successful football program and we can’t wait for him to start.”

Burns is excited at the prospect of working with Adelaide’s emerging players.

“When I reflect on my coaching career so far, the most enjoyable and rewarding times have been working with a developing playing list, with young players supported by strong on-field leaders,” Burns said.

“The Crows have talked about transitioning their list and we saw positive signs in the last few weeks of the season.

“I feel as though my skills and experience can help Nicksy and the other coaches, as well as the playing group, going forward.”
Overrated. Was keen but reassessing his resume its not as good as it looks.

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So I know this is an incredibly superficial way to pick a candidate, however,

Wasn’t Adam Kingsley in charge of richmonds stoppages this year and they finished 18th in clearances for?

In saying that they outclassed port (no1 stoppage team) by 12 clearances in the last quarter of that prelim

🤷‍♂️

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In terms of lowest risk, highest potential.

Sam Mitchell
Choco Williams
Jarrad Schofield.

I've always had a soft spot for Ross Lyon as well, but he won't be interested in a rebuild.

Jul 27, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ahh when the journalists cross the line of reporting the news to thinking their opinion matters on what should be done. Gets me every time

He legitimately inserted himself in a Dunkley to Essendon trade tweet today as if he had some form of involvement in it going ahead.

Knob of the highest order

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Would prefer someone mature who's done the senior job before. Can't afford to have someone in the top job who hasn't done it before given our current situation.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne

As it stands? How many interviews could they possibly have done?

Back