Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarko or Simmo? Who will budge first?

If Clarko read the tea leaves knowing how far back Hawthorn truly are he'd seek opportunity elsewhere, I think he could secure another flag in less time at North with where the list stands than where Hawthorn currently stand.

However, both coaches reside at big clubs who will move heaven and earth to give them what they need, it'll be harder for them to really budge at all.

fu** I just wanna know what my club looks like next year and who's coaching.

Alot of uncertainty now, not a great position in the midst of a rebuild.

I’d argue that if this was to happen, it’s the perfect time.

Start of a rebuild. New coach comes in and gets to help shape what we are putting together. No immediate expectations. The coach can take their time and get this right.

Dean Solomon

Coaching record

Fremantle Assistant Coach 2010
Gold Coast Senior Assistant 2011-2020

I’d argue that if this was to happen, it’s the perfect time.

Start of a rebuild. New coach comes in and gets to help shape what we are putting together. No immediate expectations. The coach can take their time and get this right.

I sorta agree as I believe we started our rebuild before Rhyce came on board but not a lot of big decisions got made, now that they are and we're not too deep into it, it is a good time to have a new coach come straight in.

But it does put more emphasis on getting it right, in addition to the draft. This is a good window of opportunity but a very important juncture once the decisions are made.

I sorta agree as I believe we started our rebuild before Rhyce came on board but not a lot of big decisions got made, now that they are and we're not too deep into it, it is a good time to have a new coach come straight in.

But it does put more emphasis on getting it right, in addition to the draft. This is a good window of opportunity but a very important juncture once the decisions are made.

Yeah, I only think the actual rebuild decision was made this year. We’ve been one foot in one foot out for a couple years, with Rhyce even talking finals last year. That needs to be swiped clean.

We are fortunate in that we missed out on some of the “big fish” that would have compromised our drafting over the last couple years. So I agree whoever comes in doesn’t have to start from scratch.

This new coach comes in with a solid group of kids, a pile of picks this year, and likely another pile of picks next year. The actual rebuild is now in full flight, and thank f*** for that.

Clarko or Simmo? Who will budge first?
C'mon mate, your forgetting the art if third man up!!

When people speak of Adam they talk of his footy smarts. I reckon he has the brain to be a top coach one day. Say what you want about his skill set but you have to agree that he was a very smart player. Always in the right spot at the right time.

Nothing.
It's about the way he played the games. He has a really good footy mind and I thought he was a good leader of men. It's when I've herd him speak in interviews, always gets his point across very easily, very easy to follow. When he was playing I lost count of how many times I heard his team mates say that he would make a good coach one day. They don't just go around saying that about everyone.

This semi illiterate fella could see it 😬. Toots horn

Would James Hird be too far out of the stretch especially with how it ended with Rhyce?
41722440-EB85-4037-87FD-948E8D8966F3.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I only think the actual rebuild decision was made this year. We’ve been one foot in one foot out for a couple years, with Rhyce even talking finals last year. That needs to be swiped clean.

We are fortunate in that we missed out on some of the “big fish” that would have compromised our drafting over the last couple years. So I agree whoever comes in doesn’t have to start from scratch.

This new coach comes in with a solid group of kids, a pile of picks this year, and likely another pile of picks next year. The actual rebuild is now in full flight, and thank f*** for that.

So on paper, if you're a coach this actually isn't a bad sell, if anything its quite enticing, very young list, lot of picks, good players retained and a club that's financially stable with good foundation of senior coaches, getting Blakey is obviously a big deal in the club's eyes much like getting Rawlings was (Them being NMFC boys aside.)

You'd have to think even someone like Clarko would be rubbing his chin at the thought of such an opportunity, a skilled coach normally doesn't get such a base to work on like this, typically they're fed chickenshit expected to turn it into chicken salad.

So on paper, if you're a coach this actually isn't a bad sell, if anything its quite enticing, very young list, lot of picks, good players retained and a club that's financially stable with good foundation of senior coaches, getting Blakey is obviously a big deal in the club's eyes much like getting Rawlings was (Them being NMFC boys aside.)

You'd have to think even someone like Clarko would be rubbing his chin at the thought of such an opportunity, a skilled coach normally doesn't get such a base to work on like this, typically they're fed chickenshit expected to turn it into chicken salad.

The new coach should be selling himself to us.

Dean Solomon

Coaching record

Fremantle Assistant Coach 2010
Gold Coast Senior Assistant 2011-2020

Wouldn’t mind Solomon from what I’ve read in the past is highly rated by players

Having this discussion is not disrespectful to anyone.

Not a fan of Voss.

I think Lyon could be good in a Woosh type situation to steady the ship for a year or two. List managers manage the list and Ross coaches.

Choko is another that has been mentioned that could be good.

End of the day whoever we get has to be surrounded by good people.

Given that we just sacked all our assistant coaches I don't think we did that with Shaw.

Another massive decision to be made and we can't afford to fu** it up
Voss has already said no. As has Lyon

In terms of lowest risk, highest potential.

Sam Mitchell
Choco Williams
Jarrad Schofield.

I've always had a soft spot for Ross Lyon as well, but he won't be interested in a rebuild.

I’ve got a soft spot for Lyon too - it’s called diarrhoea

The new coach should be selling himself to us.

I'll rest a bit easier now that North has already got a shortlist of coaches from beforehand as a good base, already done interviews recently before Shaw came on so there's a bit of knowing the score type stuff going on. Also meaning the club now knows exactly what it wants, and the best snake oil salesman isn't gonna bend them over at this point.

We're not on the precipice anymore of unknowns, we're more on the starting line with a clearer path forward with a solid foundation ready to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back