Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Bloke to bring a bunch of kids together and through to premiership ... hard to go past.

With Blakey in the box and Roos as a key influence.

His work at West Coast and Hawthorn highly rated.

You might be right mate and I'd rather him than Voss.

My 2 concerns are that he hasn't had that much experience yet and only 1 year coaching in a successful season.

The other is a feel thing, there's something not quite there in his personality re accustoming to our club for mine.

I think he'd be like a Buckley, maybe serviceable in his home environment but not the guy to come in, wrap his arms around the club and really make it his mission to take it somewhere.

Could be wrong.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Next coach needs to be a psychopath (possibly Tef?? ;) ). Shawrys greatest strength was also his achilies heel, his investment in the players and unconditional backing was what set him up for the downfall late in the season when they didn't deliver. I admire the way he went about it but you could see in the pressers when he broke. I dont think we are in a position where we need a father figure leader. For this reason I think the appointment of Brady could be the most important appointment we have made since 2000. Actions to date certainly look like he wont accept mediocrity.

Make no mistake , we are at the crossroads now and i don't want to be feeling like adding this classic to the playlist for the next 20 years on account of our list.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Damian Barrett already has 5 variations of this ready to go to cover the next few columns:

IF
North Melbourne ever thought they were a chance to convince [Coach name] to sign

THEN
They were absolutely kidding themselves. The place is a shambles putting it nicely, they just knifed 2 capable senior coaches in succession and a psycho dictator is calling all the shots. What a mess.
keep doubling down buddy,
tenor.gif

heres a tip, the house always wins.....

It'd have to be for money as well. That means forgoing a couple of assistants?
I don't reckon it would be with Clarko. He strikes me as someone who's more driven by ego and, potentially, the opportunity to stick it up Kennett.

When he joined Hawthorn, he actually took a substantial pay cut so he could employ David Rath as an assistant.

This is a very interesting what the outcome will be, do they throw a rookie coach in and hope he turns out or trust the tried and tested or go with a left field selection.
there is basically no right or wrong but unfortunately scrutiny will put the heat on

Sep 1, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Sam Mitchell would be good but is this a similar situation to when we went after Buckley. Clarkson is probably coming to the end of his time with Hawthorn and they would have a plan in place for Mitchell to takeover.
Not sure on Voss's comments. Sounded as though he was happier to stay at Port. People compare him to Ratten but there is a big difference. Ratten was unlucky to lose his role Voss was not.
We will find the right person that will just click during the interview process.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is a very interesting what the outcome will be, do they throw a rookie coach in and hope he turns out or trust the tried and tested or go with a left field selection.
there is basically no right or wrong but unfortunately scrutiny will put the heat on
They don't necessarily need to be rookies, examples of blokes like Bevo (St Bedes/Mentone) and Hinkley (bell park) both were successful and experienced at lower levels, Schofield would fit this definition.
would rather someone who has displayed that they can create success rather than just be seated beside someone that did (Bolton for example) .

Dirty_11

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 28, 2014
Beneath the Blue & White
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Shinboners
They don't necessarily need to be rookies, examples of blokes like Bevo (St Bedes/Mentone) and Hinkley (bell park) both were successful and experienced at lower levels. would rather someone who has displayed that thy can create success rather than just be seated beside someone that did (Bolton for example) .
I think it is an advantage if they have coached their own side to success, even if at a lower level. We need winners at the club, people who demand success.

Fish Sticks

All Australian
Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Sam Mitchell would be good but is this a similar situation to when we went after Buckley. Clarkson is probably coming to the end of his time with Hawthorn and they would have a plan in place for Mitchell to takeover.
Not sure on Voss's comments. Sounded as though he was happier to stay at Port. People compare him to Ratten but there is a big difference. Ratten was unlucky to lose his role Voss was not.
We will find the right person that will just click during the interview process.
If Clarkson is coming to the end of his time @ Hawthorn, we should be after him.
I don’t think Clarko is keen to hang up the boots for a while yet...

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You might be right mate and I'd rather him than Voss.

My 2 concerns are that he hasn't had that much experience yet and only 1 year coaching in a successful season.

The other is a feel thing, there's something not quite there in his personality re accustoming to our club for mine.

I think he'd be like a Buckley, maybe serviceable in his home environment but not the guy to come in, wrap his arms around the club and really make it his mission to take it somewhere.

Could be wrong.
I cant see why we cannot go for a left field option and give B Scott another go. We are paying him anyway and he did have quite a bit of succsess He knows the game plan seems to know the players Whats every ones thoughts. Plus i do have a alternative motive in this that i am fishing for more likes surley.

I cant see why we cannot go for a left field option and give B Scott another go. We are paying him anyway and he did have quite a bit of succsess He knows the game plan seems to know the players Whats every ones thoughts. Plus i do have a alternative motive in this that i am fishing for more likes surley.

I have negative thoughts about this

They don't necessarily need to be rookies, examples of blokes like Bevo (St Bedes/Mentone) and Hinkley (bell park) both were successful and experienced at lower levels, Schofield would fit this definition.
would rather someone who has displayed that they can create success rather than just be seated beside someone that did (Bolton for example) .

Yes, seating in the main seat and been the decision maker is completely different to seat number 2

Going back to B Scott would guarantee we’re the laughing stock of the AFL for many years.

And apart from that he is a key reason for the mess we find ourselves in today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Arrr a man after my own heart, are you drinking Wynns BL Cab or Shiraz? I suspect Cab?

I had a 2008 Cab last weekend and its was drinking magnificently.
As long as it’s not the blend with the horrible * label. I’ll take your post as serious, had it been black label Johnnie on the other hand,,,,probably not

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I saw someone say Mitchell seems smug. I always thought this while he was playing, until late in his career, Carey made some negative comments about him on Triple M.

Carey said during a game that he thought Sam had quite a few weaknesses, that were being covered up by having high quality team mates. Words to that effect anyway.

Of course duck got ridiculed by everyone around him, but they told Mitchell about it after the game. I was waiting for a snide comeback but he actually acknowledged Carey's expertise
and said he was surprised to hear it but maybe there is some stuff to still work on.
Just one little anecdote, but I was impressed with his humility in dealing with it.

I really rate Bailey, but let him get a few more games under his belt before we put him in the hot seat. 👍

Back