Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
I cant see why we cannot go for a left field option and give B Scott another go. We are paying him anyway and he did have quite a bit of succsess He knows the game plan seems to know the players Whats every ones thoughts. Plus i do have a alternative motive in this that i am fishing for more likes surley.
The only B Scott I would be giving a go at NM going forward is Bailey Scott..

Apr 29, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
A couple of weeks ago, on Foxfooty after game show, Johnno Brown was asked whether his mate Vossy would be a good candidate for the North coaching job, his reply, "i would advise him to go nowhere near it", appears he is taking that advice.

What a load of rubbish from Brown. Coming from someone who has no ambitions to be a senior coach.

Makes me laugh when these so called experts come out with these statements. Opportunities to coach an AFL team don’t grow on trees Browny!

If any of these coaches in waiting don’t have the confidence in themselves to coach a young team like North we don’t want them!!

What a load of rubbish from Brown. Coming from someone who has no ambitions to be a senior coach.

Makes me laugh when these so called experts come out with these statements. Opportunities to coach an AFL team don’t grow on trees Browny!

If any of these coaches in waiting don’t have the confidence in themselves to coach a young team like North we don’t want them!!

Brown was saying even if Voss signed a five year deal , the contracts are worded that the payout if he was sacked are only for 6 months . He was looking after his mate saying he would want a 5 year contract with no 6 month payout clause

deano28

Club Legend
May 21, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
melbourne victory , aussie cricket
I saw someone say Mitchell seems smug. I always thought this while he was playing, until late in his career, Carey made some negative comments about him on Triple M.

Carey said during a game that he thought Sam had quite a few weaknesses, that were being covered up by having high quality team mates. Words to that effect anyway.

Of course duck got ridiculed by everyone around him, but they told Mitchell about it after the game. I was waiting for a snide comeback but he actually acknowledged Carey's expertise
and said he was surprised to hear it but maybe there is some stuff to still work on.
Just one little anecdote, but I was impressed with his humility in dealing with it.
Carey said that Mitchell wouldnt get a game at a lot of sides , many people scoffed/laughed at him but Carey was right . Mitchell was very good at clearances , distribution & organising his team mates in setting up structures on field . On the flip side he was slower than Cunnington on the spread , refused to run defensively & wandered around between the arcs with no opponent . All of these flaws were covered up by his hard running teammates , Smith & Hill In particular ran themselves into the ground covering the spread of the player that Mitchell Was responsible for .
That sort of thing wouldn’t fly in a bottom 8 team .
Richmond does the same thing with Dusty , he has the luxury of being allowed to basically go to where he thinks the ball will be because players like Macintosh , Lambert and co cover for him defensively.

I cant see why we cannot go for a left field option and give B Scott another go. We are paying him anyway and he did have quite a bit of succsess He knows the game plan seems to know the players Whats every ones thoughts. Plus i do have a alternative motive in this that i am fishing for more likes surley.

Lol. This is brilliant.

Carey said during a game that he thought Sam had quite a few weaknesses, that were being covered up by having high quality team mates. Words to that effect anyway.

That's footy in a nutshell yeah? Unless you are Carey - it's a game of putting players with certain skills into a framework that puts the most emphasis on those skills and team mates around them that cover the weaknesses.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
That's footy in a nutshell yeah? Unless you are Carey - it's a game of putting players with certain skills into a framework that puts the most emphasis on those skills and team mates around them that cover the weaknesses.

Yeah he's kind of just describing a good side. The idea that Mitchell wouldn't get a game in every team is pretty funny.

Yeah he's kind of just describing a good side. The idea that Mitchell wouldn't get a game in every team is pretty funny.

Cunnington exactly the same for us. Has some weaknesses and some massive strengths - you don't not play him because of those weaknesses. You put lesser players around him with the right strengths.

Apr 26, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Many times since his sacking I've found myself wondering if we actually had a great coach without realising it.

hilly

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 27, 2000
Frank Grey Smith Bar
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Triple M commentary team
With Clarko we'd need to be careful that what has made him such a great coach will continue going forward (one of those is having a strategy and being ahead of the curve, and the other is his age and whether we've seen the best of him).

^^^also the day after Carey criticised Mitchell, was the following exchange on Triple M.

Damian: "Wayne you've made some pretty ridiculous comments about Sam Mitchell last night, I'd be quite embarrassed if I was you"

Duck: "That's why you sit down to wee, Damo"

Even if this is not true. It's true. :)

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
The person that I have seen listed that I would like to at least be one interviewed would be Sam Mitchell. Not for any reason other than I think he might make a good coach as he has been at a successful club and knows that to do well you need to work hard , as he did. No one else really stands out . My only issue is it would be another untried coach, but most of the ex coaches have either had their go or are not what I think we require .
Agree but that’s why we have to ask the question and put the ball in hawthorns court similar to with Longmire/Roos. Imagine the change in spin from the media if hawthorn installed Mitchell and Clarkson came to us. I’m not saying Clarko is the right man and very slim chance but it would completely change Present perceptions of the club.

I'm not.

Obviously we can't get him back and he did have his deficiencies as everybody does, but we may look back on it as a mistake in the coming years.

Nah.

He'd run his race, any holes in our list lie and his and Joyce's feet.

I appreciate the prelims and the competitiveness in finals from low positions.

Ten years and zero top 4 finishes (after home and away, not entering that debate) is not good enough.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
They don't necessarily need to be rookies, examples of blokes like Bevo (St Bedes/Mentone) and Hinkley (bell park) both were successful and experienced at lower levels, Schofield would fit this definition.
would rather someone who has displayed that they can create success rather than just be seated beside someone that did (Bolton for example) .

agree, unless there’s a ready made afl coach like clarko or simmo. I’d prefer a successful coach from sanfl or wafl, and/or u18 who’s been around a while (40s?) Perhaps Vfl too. Recall Brady having a good relationship with sumich. Strong enough and with enough self belief to see off the media circus, stay the course, build the list and have faith in developing the kids.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Yeah same doesn’t seem to apply for BBB though ,,,,wasn’t it said he doesn’t fit into the new game plan (which I’m not entirely Sure what that was this year and even less so in 2021 and beyond) For a second round pick surely we are better off giving him a 1 year deal, back him in to kick 50+ and see what free compo pick we get. Ffs if #2 for a loose cannon like crouch has been bandied about them surely the situation isn’t too far gone to keep Ben at the club

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Yeah same doesn’t seem to apply for BBB though ,,,,wasn’t it said he doesn’t fit into the new game plan (which I’m not entirely Sure what that was this year and even less so in 2021 and beyond) For a second round pick surely we are better off giving him a 1 year deal, back him in to kick 50+ and see what free compo pick we get. Ffs if #2 for a loose cannon like crouch has been bandied about them surely the situation isn’t too far gone to keep Ben at the club

There's no way Brown would sign for one year.

If we've got worries on his form and knee issues then so does he.

Bobby B

Team Captain
Jan 31, 2003
Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
This might have been said here before so apologies if I am repeating what has been said by others. Why don't we go really hard to get Clarkson. He has 1 year to run at Hawthorn if I'm not mistaken. We appear to be in more trouble than Hawthorn from a playing personnel point of view, but both clubs have to go through a rebuild and surely the job with us will be a far greater challenee for him to accept. But imagine the accolade he would get if he rebuilt us and got us to the ultimate success.
Yes - Totally agree with this.

Back