Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
he might do for 1 yr at 750, back himself in.....if his knee was bad, he'd have been in for substantial surgery,,,he had an arthroscope did he not? Have several of them myself, walk out of hospital, back playing sport in a few weeks.

It's a significant risk for a bloke with a young family.

AND THEN THEIR COACH

As a result of this sustained period of triumph, Damien Hardwick deserves to be spoken of in the same sentence as Alastair Clarkson.

Consider Hardwick’s last 20 years in football for a moment.

In 2000 he played in Essendon’s all-conquering premiership team that went through the season losing just one match.

From 2001-2004 he was part of Port Adelaide sides that won three of a possible four minor premierships and one big premiership.

Then in 2008, he was Clarkson’s right-hand man at Hawthorn as the club shocked Geelong on the biggest stage.

His 2010-2016 period at Richmond saw him produce no finals victories. Not one. He almost lost his job.

But since then, he’s overseen three more premierships in four seasons. So as a coach, senior assistant or player, he’s been involved in six flags in 20 years. He’s been around the mark in several others.
Thank * his PowerPoint skills meant he missed out at *

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
he might do for 1 yr at 750, back himself in.....if his knee was bad, he'd have been in for substantial surgery,,,he had an arthroscope did he not? Have several of them myself, walk out of hospital, back playing sport in a few weeks.

I'm sure even we would do that but for him to bank his career on one year would be pretty nuts. We're here because he wants more guaranteed time and we clearly don't like the risk. I'm on the side of parting ways but I'd feel sick if we committed him for a year and he doubled down on 2020, not fair on him and his family.

I like that Mitchell had to work his way up from a rookie list to earn his stripes rather than relying on his God given talents. Then he went over to the West to learn the craft of coaching in a different environment.

All this.

Video of him with James Worpel earlier this year was fascinating.

the most obvious person who hasn't been mentioned - Time for "the King' to come home and carry the club on his shoulders like the old days. :rolleyes:
Except he's not ever shown an interest in coaching and very little interest in helping North

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick will step away from football until Feburary following a “tough” 2020 campaign.

His assistants will take the reins in his absence.

“I’m going to take a bit of a longer break this year over summer,” Hardwick said.

“It’s been a pretty full on 3-4 years and we’ve done a hell of a lot of work and had a lot of success along the way but sometimes you need to step back.

“I’m very lucky that I’ve got some terrific assistants, and a couple of those guys will move on, but the coaching group and the people I have around me do a large amount of work and the reality is I sit at the top and manage those guys.

“But I’m very confident those guys can step up and fill those roles because it’s been a tough year – professionally and personally – so I’ll step back for a little while and won’t come back until maybe February … just to give myself a little bit of a break and a bit of breathing room, because I need it at the moment.”

- 3AW

Possibly referring to Leppa and Mcrae.

agree, unless there’s a ready made afl coach like clarko or simmo. I’d prefer a successful coach from sanfl or wafl, and/or u18 who’s been around a while (40s?) Perhaps Vfl too. Recall Brady having a good relationship with sumich. Strong enough and with enough self belief to see off the media circus, stay the course, build the list and have faith in developing the kids.

gary Ayres?

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick will step away from football until Feburary following a “tough” 2020 campaign.

“I’m going to take a bit of a longer break this year over summer,” Hardwick said.

“It’s been a pretty full on 3-4 years and we’ve done a hell of a lot of work and had a lot of success along the way but sometimes you need to step back.

“I’m very lucky that I’ve got some terrific assistants, and a couple of those guys will move on, but the coaching group and the people I have around me do a large amount of work and the reality is I sit at the top and manage those guys.

“But I’m very confident those guys can step up and fill those roles because it’s been a tough year – professionally and personally – so I’ll step back for a little while and won’t come back until maybe February … just to give myself a little bit of a break and a bit of breathing room, because I need it at the moment.”

- 3AW

Needs a break from all that winning

So You Think

Miracle on Arden St
Feb 28, 2011
Hotel Kensington
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
As long as it’s not the blend with the horrible * label. I’ll take your post as serious, had it been black label Johnnie on the other hand,,,,probably not

No, it wasn't the $10 blend with the red sash on the black label. If I happen to have a scotch, it's normally a single malt. ;)

Last edited:
Needs a break from all that winning

When you struggle, it doesn't matter if you are winning or losing. The hub has been a disaster for the AFL, a lot of clubs have told the AFL they are almost at breaking point.

Dec 18, 2014
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Pierce & Pierce, Stratton Oakmont

- 3AW

Make it happen Euge!

barnrokn

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2017
Straightouttanthmelb
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Think Vossy might fit the Schimmelbusch / Bartlett mould.
Champion players. sh*te coaches.
Ah Schimma 💕
9446AB15-4E43-4EB9-9DE8-226378925F65.gif

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I guess we have to settle with Adem Yze then.
gone to melbourne

Joycey

Debutant
Oct 20, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thinking back to the inspiring story of Billy Heywood and the Minnesota Twins I can't help but think we should follow the same path. This was a time they had nothing left to lose and had nowhere to go but up (like us). They end up winning it all and changing baseball forever.

For that reason I think we should appoint Lisa Alexander. She had a winning record of 81% and has won multiple gold medals. She also coached the Australian Under 21s so knows how to get the best out of younger players (a bit of Dennis Pagan about her history). Football has stolen a lot of tactics from Netball and with Roos and Blakey I think it could work. The positive press would off the charts. If anyone criticises her we can just say "you ******* sexist pig!"

Make it happen Buckleys.

Back