Toast North Melbourne Debt free

Remove this Banner Ad

What a fantastic day for us supporters, finally debt free, we showed a wonderful example of our inclusive club and a real long term commitment to the North Melbourne community.

Personally, I was proud to have my name on the list of people who have made a contribution to the club's survival and reducing our debt.

Onwards and upwards/

DANIELLE BACK WITH HER ROOS
‘Proud’ Laidley returns to Arden St for Kangas’ day of celebration
GLENN McFARLANE
DANIELLE Laidley’s return to North Melbourne was intentionally low-key, but the love for the premiership player and 149-game coach was clear and touching.

It was a day of celebration for the club as it announced it was debt-free and brought back former coaches and playing legends to mark the occasion.

Accompanied by her partner Donna, Laidley returned on Friday to the Arden St base she used to call home and was warmly embraced by a club that has played such a profound part in her life journey.

Laidley met lifelong friend Donna in grade 1 at primary school in Perth and they reconnected in 2017.

Laidley expressed gratitude for what the Kangaroos had given her over the years as well as her admiration for the way in which this special football club has always treated its people.

“I am just so proud,” Laidley said. “(This) is the first time I have represented my old tribe (North Melbourne) and my new tribe. It is such a significant week for us.”

Laidley looked right back at home from the moment she arrived. She joked and shared stories with AFL games record-holder Brent Harvey, current North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell, AFLW star Emma Kearney, former teammate and now assistant coach John Blakey and a host of other club greats, benefactors and dignitaries.

Laidley, 54, said she was delighted to be invited back to the club that remains so dear to her heart after playing 99 games for the Kangaroos across five seasons as well as coaching the club on 149 occasions in seven seasons.

“The club impacted my life in more ways than one,”

Laidley said. “Every Shinboner supporter should be proud today. It’s great being back at the North Melbourne Football Club for this important announcement of being debt free, also on the back of transgender awareness week, as I am proud of both of my tribes.

“(I’m) very happy to be here, very proud of the efforts and what has been achieved by everyone to look back now and say the right decision was made (to stay in Melbourne).”

She had been the club’s coach when it steadfastly refused the AFL’s bid to relocate it to the Gold Coast in late 2007, former president James Brayshaw saying Laidley played a crucial role in keeping the club competitive against enormous odds in those years.

North Melbourne president Ben Buckley, who was Laidley’s former teammate for a season, said the club was proud to welcome her back, given the contribution she had made.

“Football clubs are very embracing of their people and we are here for Dani,” Buckley said.

“She has played an important part in North Melbourne’s history. She played in a premiership and coached the club and played 100 games here.

“She has a lot of friends and past teammates here.

“We reached out to Dani and embraced her and embraced the new chapter in her life.

“It is just fantastic to see her and to hear her speak about her memories of the footy club.”

Laidley was Ziebell’s first coach and the Kangaroos skipper couldn’t have been more pleased to see her reconnect with the club after a period of absence.

“She played a huge role throughout the mid 2000s and through the period when we were meant to be shipped off to Gold Coast,” Ziebell said.

“She was my first coach and set the scene for a lot of stuff going forward for me and for the football club.

“We owe a lot of thanks to her and it is awesome to see her back and to see her as happy as she is.”

On the day when North Melbourne formally announced it had eradicated its once-crippling debt for the first time in more than a generation, Laidley sat on a panel at the media conference alongside current coach David Noble and former coach Brad Scott, who both recognised the significance of her return to the fold.

Noble said: “I am not sure Dani quite realised how important the club has been to her and how significant it has been in her life.

“I was stoked that she was able to come here today and feel comfortable in being here.”

Laidley said she felt pride and a sense of belonging every time she drove past the redeveloped Arden St base.

“Whenever I drive past, I’m personally over the moon at where our football club is today and the very bright long term future ahead,” she said.

“I’m exceptionally proud as Shinboner #826.”

Laidley marvelled at the club’s new facilities that came after she left and listened intently to plans for further upgrades.

But she stressed that the one thing that had never changed – and she hoped never would – was the warmth of the North Melbourne community.

“What I learnt very quickly was that North’s greatest resource was its people,” she said.

Her reconnection with the footy club and its people has been almost as special, with the beaming smile on her face an indication of what this moment meant to her and what the future might yet hold for them both. glenn.mcfarlane @news.com.au

Transphobia isn't always harassment, it is however often intolerant, or ignorant or disregarding common decency. Even making the statement "Dani who was known as Dean" is imo intolerant. Why would you make that comment? We all know the past, but she has changed and moved on. Even if you think transgenderism is batshit cooky stuff, if it is important to them then why be intolerant of that, why make comments that put them down.

I think we as a society should be more supportive of everyone in the community and it wouldn't kill anyone to just be nice.
Didn't Dani herself say she's cool with people referring to her as Dean if they are talking about the past? IE It was Dean who played those games and it was Dani who was there yesterday. Even tho they are the same person. People grow, change and come into their own thru their lives. Nobody is the same person they were 25 years ago, people grow or devolve but they don't stay the same. If she is cool with that maybe it means something to her to acknowledge her past as Dean.

This sort of thing is hard for some people to understand. Provided they make the effort to try and expand their worldview and get their head around this sort of change with respect then its the best any of us can expect. Its great that she was there and great that we as a club are so supportive of her giving how much she gave us (when the world knew her as Dean.) People who can't get onboard with that probably deserve pity more than hate.

Shout out to Tef for referring to Dani as "it" too. Don't be such a coward, open your heart for once.

EDIT: Someone pointed out I may have misinterpreted him. I don't think i did but I'm leaving this here to acknowledge it may be a possibility.

Last edited:
NORTH’S $10M SAVIOUR
White knight Peter Scanlon knew relocating to Gold Coast would kill Roos
GLENN McFARLANE
NORTH Melbourne had no choice but to fight an AFL-led push to relocate it to the Gold Coast in late 2007 because it would have represented “the end of the Shinboners”, according to one of the men who helped save the club.

On the day that the Kangaroos announced they were debt-free for the first time since 1987, leading benefactor Peter Scanlon said key powerbrokers realised a move north would signify the end of their club.

The businessman and philanthropist, who has contributed at least $10m to the club over the years, said on Friday the club had been prepared to go down swinging to stay alive.

“It was clear to James (Brayshaw), Ron Joseph, myself and others that although it was financially attractive, moving to the Gold Coast was the end of the Shinboners,” he said.

“The decision the guys made was, ‘We would rather try and fail (to keep it alive) than give up’.”

The Kangaroos rejected the AFL’s godfather offer to move to the Gold Coast 14 years ago and although the club’s debt bloated out to as much as $9m a few years later, it now has no debt and money in the bank.

Scanlon couldn’t be more proud of those who fought the battle.

“I think if I was to be so bold as to speak on behalf of the members, I want to thank the people who did all the work (to get the club out of debt) – James (Brayshaw), Ben (Buckley), Eugene (Arocca), Carl (Dilena) and now Ben (Amarfio), and so many others who helped,” Scanlon said.

“This club was not only under financial duress, it had no facilities, it had lost contact with the community because it didn’t have the resources … and look at us now. We have no debt, a wonderful board and management and in my view the best community in the AFL.”

Ex-president Brayshaw said North Melbourne Football Club would almost certainly not have survived without the generosity of Scanlon and other club benefactors, while one of the club’s former CEOs Arocca said Scanlon deserved his own statue.

The man himself typically played down his role, saying he was simply one of thousands of members who loved their footy club.

Buckley said the club’s debt-free status represented a landmark day in the club’s 152-year history.

“It basically takes an anchor out of the boat,” he said.

“We don’t have to be burdened by the annual cost of debt repayments. It allows us to start the season next year on a level playing field. It also gives our members confidence, our supporters confidence and our players and staff confidence.”

Buckley said the club was keen to keep playing four home games a season in Tasmania, but would also support that state’s quest for a new stand-alone AFL team.

“We have always said that Arden St is our home and will always be our home,” he said. “We will be here for the next 150 years. We support Tasmania’s aspirations to have a team of its own and if we can play a role to make that happen in the next five or 10 years, we would love to.”

Chief executive Amarfio said the club’s 2021 profit of $453,189 allowed the Roos to finally tick off their debt, which had reached its peak of $9m in 2012.

“I want to acknowledge that more than a decade of hard work and careful management has contributed to this significant result,” Amarfio said.

“We want to thank our fiercely supportive members, match committee and Shinboner coterie members, patrons, benefactors and our loyal sponsors ... who have all made significant contributions in supporting our club for several years.” m e

🤣Brayshaw even managed to cover the “white knight” base…

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a fantastic day for us supporters, finally debt free, we showed a wonderful example of our inclusive club and a real long term commitment to the North Melbourne community.

Personally, I was proud to have my name on the list of people who have made a contribution to the club's survival and reducing our debt.

Onwards and upwards/
As was I. Thank you fellow shinboner

That's one of of best interviews I've seen with Jack, and I reckon I've seen most of them! Spoke from the heart, genuinely was upbeat, excited and just spoke well. He looks excited to be there.

Can't ever recall being this excited myself about the clubs future in terms of off and on field at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's one of of best interviews I've seen with Jack, and I reckon I've seen most of them! Spoke from the heart, genuinely was upbeat, excited and just spoke well. He looks excited to be there.

Can't ever recall being this excited myself about the clubs future in terms of off and on field at the same time.
Makes a good case for being our captain another year in my very humble opinion.

How come he looks five years younger too? Is it the haircut or the polo top or both? He comes across as very comfortable within himself. I suspect he’s very proud to be associated with the club right now - like a lot of us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I will never not love Eugene Arocca.

Just all class, salt-of-the-earth type of leader. He was brilliant for our club and he's forever a North Melbourne man.

Euge
I was absolutely thrilled to see him included yesterday. A true Nth man who was a big part of why yesterday happened.

We have given it to Brad Scott (me included) but gee he is not a bad bloke and definitely a north man. I would sure as hell buy him a beer if I saw him in the pub.
Same. He'd have so many stories to tell.

He shouldn't be a neutral bland suit at City Hall. Or at least I think it's too early for that. A bloke with that amount of passion should be in clubland somewhere.

Brilliant.

When I see that I spare a thought for Rhys though. It went pear shaped in the end, but nobody can deny that he suffered for the club. I hope he got an invite. He is part of the story.
I thought the same that he "should" have been there as a recent coach who toiled for the club. But it's probably too soon. I expect he was probably invited out of respect, but that he probably declined. Not sure his opinion of the club is all that high these days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back