Toast North Melbourne Debt free

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally got around to watching the presser videos on youtube.

Everyone involved spoke really well.

I don't approve all the methods used to get to where we are but for the most part the effort to be back in the black is incredible.

Well done to the club.

Yeah, he was part of one of the panels.

GR posted videos of the interviews earlier in the thread. They might be on the North website.
The videos are also on the Nth You Tube channel.

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Darren Crocker. Acting coach for Laidley and Scott. Current AFLW coach. A true North person.
This is not to be patronising towards Dani, but clearly she can coach and loves the club. Could there be a coaching role for her with our AFLW team?

Pretty sombre week with Cunners, but been really impressed with the club, both with the balance sheet and it's efforts in being inclusive, not just walking the walk but by actions. Great to see Dani back at the club and even Brad as well, who's coaching careers ended abruptly.

Very proud.

Shout out to Tef for referring to Dani as "it" too. Don't be such a coward, open your heart for once.

EDIT: Someone pointed out I may have misinterpreted him. I don't think i did but I'm leaving this here to acknowledge it may be a possibility.

I don't think you did.

This isn't a shot at Snake at all, and I think despite his abrasive nature he means well (most of the time) I just don't get a guy who strongly advocates personal freedom felt the need to make some certain comments. Hope in time he becomes a little more accepting to views he doesn't agree with.

The Anvil

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2004
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Pretty sombre week with Cunners, but been really impressed with the club, both with the balance sheet and it's efforts in being inclusive, not just walking the walk but by actions. Great to see Dani back at the club and even Brad as well, who's coaching careers ended abruptly.

We often get caught up in what Brad didn’t do, yet this was a good reminder of what both him and Laidley were up against.

Neither had a level playing field to get us premierships.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Very proud.

Same.

Its on a par with any flag (even tho its not a flag and nothing will ever really be on par with one.)

I don't think you did.

This isn't a shot at Snake at all, and I think despite his abrasive nature he means well (most of the time) I just don't get a guy who strongly advocates personal freedom felt the need to make some certain comments. Hope in time he becomes a little more accepting to views he doesn't agree with.

I've seen him do it before when referring to trans people. But he has also acknowledged other trans people who few if any people on this site would ever have heard of, with no judgement whatsoever other than respect for their accomplishments. I suspect part of it is a reaction to making the use of trans pronouns so mainstream. Its a pity things worked out the way they did but some people are their own worst enemy. I do hope he can get some happiness out of our off field success and what looks like the beginning of a period of onfield success as well tho. (LOL We're wooden spooners, how's that for self delusion :D .)

Contra Mundum

To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
I am just so grateful and amazed that we're actually debt free. I remember how sad I felt in 2007 when I thought our footy club was gone.

I remember when the adrenaline wore off after the Keep North South gig and the Dallas Brookes Hall meeting and thinking HTF are we going to survive.? It all worked - our members are the best

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
This is not to be patronising towards Dani, but clearly she can coach and loves the club. Could there be a coaching role for her with our AFLW team?
That is not a stupid suggestion.

I love Laids as much as anyone here, but if you put aside the shitty treatment at the hands of VicPol as well as the tremendously challenging life changes that she has gone through recently, and just consider the facts - it is not appropriate to consider anyone in a leadership role at the club so soon after they have allegedly struggled with an illicit substances problem, not to mention the stalking and harassment allegations. Perhaps a development role but coaching would be problematic at this time.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I love Laids as much as anyone here, but if you put aside the shitty treatment at the hands of VicPol as well as the tremendously challenging life changes that she has gone through recently, and just consider the facts - it is not appropriate to consider anyone in a leadership role at the club so soon after they have allegedly struggled with an illicit substances problem, not to mention the stalking and harassment allegations. Perhaps a development role but coaching would be problematic at this time.
So in your learned opinion, how long before public redemption in such a role (if it was even wanted) would you consider appropriate?

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Has anyone thought that maybe she doesn’t want to coach again?
Has anyone thought that maybe she does? Perhaps she hasn't been asked?
She'd have the support of the club, the AFL, the broader footy community, she has a lifelong bond with Crocks, clearly has a tonne of coaching experience at several clubs. Such a role, with the structure of a footy club, training program, the routine, etc, might be what she needs to help either get her or keep her on the right path again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Very proud.

I don't think you did.

Yeah was good to see Brad there obviously did not leave on bad terms or do the wrong thing by the club like some have said other wise may not have turned up or been welcomed as he was. Well done to everyone involved great effort and better result.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Has anyone thought that maybe she doesn’t want to coach again?

Who knows, and I know everyone is different, but I doubt after everything she’s been through recently her mental health would heal so quickly. I’m assuming it would’ve been a huge step for her to come out so publicly at the press conference.

I’d be surprised if she was even thinking about coaching at the moment. Just putting myself in her (no doubt fabulous) shoes, I’d be just taking some time to enjoy myself and finally being free.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So in your learned opinion, how long before public redemption in such a role (if it was even wanted) would you consider appropriate?

Okay let's consider this from another perspective. Let's say we time travel back a year. We are looking for a new head coach. An excellent candidate interviews well and has terrific references and credentials. But then it comes to light that this candidate recently pled guilty to a charge of stalking and was placed on a good behaviour bond whilst narrowly avoiding a separate charge of methamphetamine possession. Do you think this candidate gets a second interview?

Just on a practical level, remember that AFLW draftees can be 17 years old, which means that any coaches would have to pass a working with children check. The lack of criminal conviction in this instance is helpful, but I am not so sure that someone who is still serving a good behaviour bond would pass the check. Law talking guys might be able to confirm yay or nay.

We often get caught up in what Brad didn’t do, yet this was a good reminder of what both him and Laidley were up against.

The sad part is I thought he was doing better when we were poorly resourced, it was when we started to dump more money into the football department, when JB was telling him how to coach and having assistants take on more decision making responsibility that things went pear shaped. You could obviously tell from the coaches box and his exchanges with the assistants that he wasn't getting what he wanted but he seemed powerless to do anything about it. Ie, his tough talk after games when we lost due to a lack of effort and he promised changes only for minimal injury forced changes to be made. it made him look dickless.

Some of the biggest problems Scott was forced to deal with later in his coaching term was the result of AFL manipulating rules which didn't suit our stoppage heavy approach and what has been a really long run of crippling injuries season after season. There wasn't a whole lot he could have done to control that.

It is what it is, I just felt we should have done the coach recruitment thing properly like we did with Nobes and not sure he was ticking enough boxes to go for 10 years. A big problem our club has had over the years it has been too much of a boys club and we have been relatively slow to professionalise from the top down. There has been the lack of enforcement of standards, I don't know what went on during Shaw's time on the GC, I probably don't want to know, but it should sting that players we keep getting rid of win flags elsewhere. It has to say something about how we are/were running the joint.

B4Bear

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Okay let's consider this from another perspective. Let's say we time travel back a year. We are looking for a new head coach. An excellent candidate interviews well and has terrific references and credentials. But then it comes to light that this candidate recently pled guilty to a charge of stalking and was placed on a good behaviour bond whilst narrowly avoiding a separate charge of methamphetamine possession. Do you think this candidate gets a second interview?

Just on a practical level, remember that AFLW draftees can be 17 years old, which means that any coaches would have to pass a working with children check. The lack of criminal conviction in this instance is helpful, but I am not so sure that someone who is still serving a good behaviour bond would pass the check. Law talking guys might be able to confirm yay or nay.
Nice hypothetical that didn’t answer the question.

This is a really good post. It's probably a line in the sand moment for us Bigfooty folk (including me) for blaming Scotts for all our previous woes. It wasn't a level playing field, he did his best with what he had and what he knew and at the end of the day both parties moved on amicably.

The club is in such an incredible position today thanks to the hard work of so many people since Dallas Brooks Hall in 2007.

Said for a long time that Brad's best work was getting us up to the level of a proper professional footy team.

He built structures that will be vital in 5.

Said for a long time that Brad's best work was getting us up to the level of a proper professional footy team.

He built structures that will be vital in 5.

Yup. Brad Scott introduced sport-science into our process and made it a core element of our football department. That alone was a huge step in the right direction.

Colbys Boots

Premium Gold
Oct 3, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yup. Brad Scott introduced sport-science into our process and made it a core element of our football department. That alone was a huge step in the right direction.

The interesting thing was that Brad Scott had us put all of our eggs in the sports science basket whereas Damian Hardwick pursued sports psychology, something that Scott shunned. For a while, our direction appeared to be the smart one and Hardwick looked to be a fruit loop. But then we were struck down by injuries that sports science couldn't prevent and the shrinks at Richmond convinced them that they were world beaters. And then they were. Now of course all other things were not equal but it was an interesting, dare I say, sliding doors moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back