Opinion North Melbourne Football Club - Re-branding; It's Time

Is a rebranding of our logo needed?

• YES - we are NMFC, not the "KANGAROOS"

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • NO - Pointless, stick with what we've got

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For those who don't know me, Greater Gattsby is my name and sport's related graphic design is my game. Most people probably will not care, but I care about the most minuscule things in relation to anything graphically related to football clubs.

Seeing Melbourne getting their logo changed for the fourth time since 2005 today got me thinking. Where are we at, and why does our logo still say "KANGAROOS" in giant letters across the bottom and "North Melbourne Football Club" in size 2 grey font below this? In 2007 when this logo was adopted, our club was at the brink of extinction. We were known as the "KANGAROOS" and not "North Melbourne" due to a potential cutting of ties with our home and moving up to the Gold Coast. We adopted this logo in a time where the club was in serious trouble, one of the darkest times our club has ever gone through. Why do we still associate ourselves with this era?

The club in which generations of families, friends and players who have given their all for our club deserve to be represented by a much stronger image than that of a robo-squashed-kangaroo. The North Melbourne Football Club have so much history to use, so why is it not we are represented by something which IS the club?

In my own opinion, things really do need to change. As I'm in the middle of my year 12 exam period, when else would be a better time to re-brand an AFL football club.

Here are the official logos that I would like to see our club, the North Melbourne Football Club, proudly represented by:
20lhs0.png

You've most likely seen both logos before. The primary logo is a modern take on our old shield logo from the 60's and 70's. Whilst the secondary logo is a traditionally monogram used by our club before the 1960's.

I will also be doing club polos, football kits, hoodies, warm up tops, training shirts etc. Constructive feedback on all designs are welcome.

For now, what are your thoughts and opinions?

This, forever.

images
I agree that it's arguably the best logo we've had, but I'm still uneasy about "KANGAROOS" being one of the dominating elements.

An updated version of that could be cool, i'll try and work on something when I've got time.

I agree that it's arguably the best logo we've had, but I'm still uneasy about "KANGAROOS" being one of the dominating elements.

An updated version of that could be cool, i'll try and work on something when I've got time.
Sounds good. I just think the current logo lacks a certain boldness like that one does. It's associated with success (see also: carlton reverting back to old jumper monogram) but it still looks great. An updated version would look even better I'm sure. That or IUB needs to stop living in the 90s.

Can you create me an IUB logo? One that underlines IUB so the I looks like an 'L' (so it looks like it says 'meh' but the L with the dot on top resembling an 'i' so it also looks like it reads IUB? An official IUB logo.

Why?

I get people get touchy about the subject of '07 but I never get why there is so much outrage regarding the use of the name "Kangaroos" in this day.

"North Melbourne Football Club" is clearly on the current logo, and of the current 18 teams, roughly half of them have their "mascot" type as the main feature rather than the location of the club which just under 1/4 have as the main feature- the remaining 1/4 is made up of emblems and indistinguishable mixes of the 3.

It's not like North are alone in the way their emblem is designed, in fact we're in the majority so it's not some conspiracy to strip us of our identity.

For all means, update the emblem, but it's time we stopped being afraid of using the term Kangaroos, at times people are often looking to take offense for the sake of taking offense.

We ARE the kangaroos, we have been for decades and we always have and always will be North Melbourne and also the Shinboners.

Don't be afraid of the word kangaroos, embrace it, live it, breathe it, love it.

North Melbourne Kangaroos, our club.

Why?

I get people get touchy about the subject of '07 but I never get why there is so much outrage regarding the use of the name "Kangaroos" in this day.

"North Melbourne Football Club" is clearly on the current logo, and of the current 18 teams, roughly half of them have their "mascot" type as the main feature rather than the location of the club.....

What those other clubs didn't do anytime in their recent history, however, is officially jettison the location part of their name, and trade solely as their logo name. As we did between 1999 and 2007.

It marks a period in which we (both in a metaphorical and literal sense) lost our way, led by an administration that had scant regard for the importance of our geographical roots, and I think there are a number of supporters that are keen (for the club) to distance themselves from that. Without debating the validity of such an emotion, given that it served as a pre-cursor to a push to permanently rid us of our geographical identity, I would contend that is a large part of the reason for a lot of the lingering angst regarding the issue.

This, forever.

images

Yeah, this wins, IMO.

But I do have a lot of time for the two logos in the OP, also. The one on the left is just so appealingly old school, and the one on the right looks like our letters are having a foursome. Which is cool.

The current logo is absolutely shithouse. Terrible for apparel and we are due for a rebranding, I'm sure it would be in the works with the club, it's coming up to a decade since we got the current one.

The second one of Gattsby's is absolute class, reminiscent of the New York Mets logo, would look absolutely fantastic on hats, t-shirts etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can you create me an IUB logo? One that underlines IUB so the I looks like an 'L' (so it looks like it says 'meh' but the L with the dot on top resembling an 'i' so it also looks like it reads IUB? An official IUB logo.

I would suggest the same font as VB.

We have a club that has both, the word Melbourne in it (which only Godees can trump) and the national symbol in it, which no one can trump. This is a marketing paradise which we have never taken advantage of.

But I agree, the current logo is absolute crap and the change can't come quick enough.

I just hate the Roos/Roos issue, I see a headline that says Roos to sack key players and then realise they are talking about Paul Roos and not us o_O.
As for the logo I agree that the Kangas should stand, yes we are North Melbourne and will be for hopefully eternity. But the Kangaroos, like all other teams other monikers, are sort of like a nickname. Well that's how I see it.

The problem with any design is fitting words into spaces. To make the name "North Melbourne" the same size as the "Kangaroos" takes 15 spaces as opposed to 9 spaces for the word Kangaroos.

Nevertheless I would like to see IUB's nomination changed to have "NORTH MELBOURNE" or "NORTH MELBOURNE FC" in larger letters and below in smaller letters "The Kangaroos" . No idea how that could be achieved though.

This, forever.

images
This logo has so many memories for me. My late mum had a dozen glasses with that logo on them and whenever we went to mums we were always served a beer or whatever in that glass. I have them now and they mean a lot to me sentimentally. I can't believe how they have survived over the years with the logo intact and clear. Probably because dad was mum's dishwasher so they weren't treated harshly.

Last edited:
For those who don't know me, Greater Gattsby is my name and sport's related graphic design is my game. Most people probably will not care, but I care about the most minuscule things in relation to anything graphically related to football clubs.

Seeing Melbourne getting their logo changed for the fourth time since 2005 today got me thinking. Where are we at, and why does our logo still say "KANGAROOS" in giant letters across the bottom and "North Melbourne Football Club" in size 2 grey font below this? In 2007 when this logo was adopted, our club was at the brink of extinction. We were known as the "KANGAROOS" and not "North Melbourne" due to a potential cutting of ties with our home and moving up to the Gold Coast. We adopted this logo in a time where the club was in serious trouble, one of the darkest times our club has ever gone through. Why do we still associate ourselves with this era?

The club in which generations of families, friends and players who have given their all for our club deserve to be represented by a much stronger image than that of a robo-squashed-kangaroo. The North Melbourne Football Club have so much history to use, so why is it not we are represented by something which IS the club?

In my own opinion, things really do need to change. As I'm in the middle of my year 12 exam period, when else would be a better time to re-brand an AFL football club.

Here are the official logos that I would like to see our club, the North Melbourne Football Club, proudly represented by:
20lhs0.png

You've most likely seen both logos before. The primary logo is a modern take on our old shield logo from the 60's and 70's. Whilst the secondary logo is a traditionally monogram used by our club before the 1960's.

I will also be doing club polos, football kits, hoodies, warm up tops, training shirts etc. Constructive feedback on all designs are welcome.

Back to original post - they look great, mate. Would love to see the shield without the full stops.

Spooky coincidence but I know the designer who did the current logo. Have not mentioned how much I hate it, as I know how regularly designers are hamstrung by the wishes of their clients.

I have the same shudder about our real name of North Melborne being dominated by Kangaroos, but I don't think we need to lose the roo - it is a big part of our history too and we should be proud to reclaim it. Just not that weird thing we have now.

I love the old school ones, but I think the monogrammed initials idea is owned by Carlton and we should be more forward-looking than that. Really love the shield, but I think - like the 90s logo - it will be kept for retro gear now.

This logo has so many memories for me. My late mum had a dozen glasses with that logo on them and whenever we went to mums we were always served a beer or whatever in that glass. I have them now and they mean a lot to me sentimentally. I can't believe how they have survived over the years with the logo intact and clear. Probably because dad was mum's dishwasher so they weren't treated harshly.
When they were available you must have been able to buy them individually as dad had one of each of the other teams in his bar. Anyone that came into dad's bar for a drink were asked who they supported and their drink was served in that club's glass.We gave them away to people we knew barracked for those teams when dad moved into a care home. Anyone know which years that logo existed?

20lhs0.png

I prefer the first one, simply because the second one is too similar to the demons one and they are quite frankly, s**t. You're very talented, hope you can make a decent career out of it.

The problem with re-branding a whole sports club is that is takes A LOT of money and A LOT of time. If you're going to run with a new logo, absolutely everything needs to be changed for it to work - from all the merch, to signage around Arden St., to even little things like letterheads and business cards. Melbourne would have spent a truckload of money re-branding 4 times in the one decade (even though a few of their logos looked like they'd been put together in paint).

It's not a quick process either, so I wouldn't be surprised if the wheels are already in motion for a re-brand sometime in the next 5-10 years.

Personally, I'd really like to see us push the use of NMFC as the brand for the club. I'd also like to see the old Kangaroo from the 90's logo incorporated in a new design somehow. It needs to be modern and fresh, but not easily dated.

Back