Coach North Melbourne Football Department Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to believe that Jason would have entertained leaving his List Manager role at GWS to become List Manager at North, irrespective of his ties to the club.

Why is it hard to believe? People cross to other companies all the time to do similar work, for a variety of reasons. Better contract/money/hours, more of an alignment of values, unhappy with previous place of employment etc etc.
I was told we have spoken to 'quite a few' prospects. Luff ranks very high from what I hear. Not sure he was second choice. You interview your prospects and then make a choice. Maybe he was first choice. Anyway, someone I know who knows him well is full of praise for his footy knowledge and management skills. Hope he is right as it could be a ripper appointment.

Yep, I've heard some decent things about him, and if I'm remembering correctly he used to be on the MMM a bit doing the odd bit of work and always seemed very switched on. Certainly haven't heard anything that makes me think he's a bad choice. The timing, after months of nothing, just strikes me as implausibly coincidental.

Why is it hard to believe? People cross to other companies all the time to do similar work, for a variety of reasons. Better contract/money/hours, more of an alignment of values, unhappy with previous place of employment etc etc.

Yep, I've heard some decent things about him, and if I'm remembering correctly he used to be on the MMM a bit doing the odd bit of work and always seemed very switched on. Certainly haven't heard anything that makes me think he's a bad choice. The timing, after months of nothing, just strikes me as implausibly coincidental.
There was zero chance Jason would be coming. GWS played off in the GF, their window is wide open and will be for some time as they continually acquire first-round picks and they are backed by the AFL. The fact North didn't even sound him out for the footy manager role (which he has subsequently assumed at the Giants) was unprofessional.

So we waited til after trade period to appoint a guy we already had who has no list manager experience lmao

Cannot script this

Again, better than sos or Clayton, * you bang on about moneyball and probably the most equipped person to deliver that is not good for you?

Again, better than sos or Clayton, fu** you bang on about moneyball and probably the most equipped person to deliver that is not good for you?
there was zero chance he was going to carry on this long and be happy with the result

But he would be rejecting a higher role at gws to do it... Rawlings eq role... that’s why it’s hard to believe.... not sure many leave a job to go to another paying less and less responsibility

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hard to believe that Jason would have entertained leaving his List Manager role at GWS to become List Manager at North, irrespective of his ties to the club.
Well if he'd rather kick back and let the endless tide of high picks and academy prospects roll in, get the media profile of being the man fleecing Collingwood and *Essendon for first rounders in exchange for overrated 4th-choice mids instead of rolling up his sleeves and actually building a list ... maybe that isn't the ideal candidate?

Or maybe GWS had to give him the promotion to keep him?

Can't say much about Luff as I don't know much about him but my first reaction was about as exciting as the news of Rick Aylett becoming CEO broke. But that's just because I'd been duped by some "ITK" types into thinking someone high profile was on the way. Either way it's sit and wait now to see how Glenn goes.

Just on the Jason McCartney thing, I think the reputation is outgrowing reality a bit here.

Up to and including the 2017 season (McCartney's last at the dogs) the Western list wasn't rated by anyone as exceptional. Apart from breaking through in 2016 they haven't been top 4 on any other occasion unless I'm forgetting something.

From afar 2016 was mostly due to some AFL friendly treatment and Beveridge's outstanding ability to have his troops playing to full effort and capacity almost ever week. When an opponent was off their game (us late in the year or eagles in Perth) they were too disciplined to let the opportunity slip.

In terms of McCartney's 'brilliant' moves.. he drafted Bont with a top 4 selection. Hardly a reach. Tom Boyd happened to want to come home at the same time Griffin wanted out and a very expensive trade was executed. If Griffin didn't wish to leave at that time (a lucky break) the trade might've been difficult to close. As it was the dogs got 1 high standard game out of Boyd albeit in the 1 game you'd like a player to have their career outlier in.

Other than that, he did ok but hardly built or left a list that everyone looked at at the start of each season and declared "wow that's a sleeping giant" (no pun int).

As for his GWS output, that's like wondering how good Queen Elizabeth II's money management skills are. When you're sitting on inherent latent advantages in your respective field like those 2 are, you'd have to royally (pun int) screw it up not to succeed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't say much about Luff as I don't know much about him but my first reaction was about as exciting as the news of Rick Aylett becoming CEO broke. But that's just because I'd been duped by some "ITK" types into thinking someone high profile was on the way. Either way it's sit and wait now to see how Glenn goes.

Just on the Jason McCartney thing, I think the reputation is outgrowing reality a bit here.

Up to and including the 2017 season (McCartney's last at the dogs) the Western list wasn't rated by anyone as exceptional. Apart from breaking through in 2016 they haven't been top 4 on any other occasion unless I'm forgetting something.

From afar 2016 was mostly due to some AFL friendly treatment and Beveridge's outstanding ability to have his troops playing to full effort and capacity almost ever week. When an opponent was off their game (us late in the year or eagles in Perth) they were too disciplined to let the opportunity slip.

In terms of McCartney's 'brilliant' moves.. he drafted Bont with a top 4 selection. Hardly a reach. Tom Boyd happened to want to come home at the same time Griffin wanted out and a very expensive trade was executed. If Griffin didn't wish to leave at that time (a lucky break) the trade might've been difficult to close. As it was the dogs got 1 high standard game out of Boyd albeit in the 1 game you'd like a player to have their career outlier in.

Other than that, he did ok but hardly built or left a list that everyone looked at at the start of each season and declared "wow that's a sleeping giant" (no pun int).

As for his GWS output, that's like wondering how good Queen Elizabeth II's money management skills are. When you're sitting on inherent latent advantages in your respective field like those 2 are, you'd have to royally (pun int) screw it up not to succeed.

While I agree in general, at the time I recall taking Bont at 4 was seen as a reach or risk. It was a great piece of drafting.
Marcus Bontempelli is an interesting prospect and one of the more polarising players in the draft. Tall, talented midfielders are a rarity this year and recruiters will love Bontempelli’s size and versatility, but there is much more to him than that. His return to TAC Cup recently saw him flourish. He could come back into top 10 calculations with a solid end to the season.
DRAFT RANGE
A first-round selection. A harder one to read because some clubs have him as a very early pick and others see him closer to No.15.

I hope he can "stat" some tackles in to Ahern.

It's good that we have a top notch stats bloke, but nothing beats watching the game/tape when it ultimately comes to analysing footballers. Statistics just build on that base.

While I agree in general, at the time I recall taking Bont at 4 was seen as a reach or risk. It was a great piece of drafting.

Sorta.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-11-15/phantom-draft-form-guide

Bontempelli has come up the ranks and will very likely be drafted earlier than 12. Clubs will take a more long-term view with him, as he is still a bit raw, and although he's a big and tall midfielder, he's still coming to grips with his size. Can play as a key forward, too, where his marking and slick kicking is handy. Has built his tank and offers a point of difference, being able to potentially hold down a number of roles in the future.
Where does he go? The big bolter. GWS likes him but pick two is too early. Collingwood and the Brisbane Lions have him in the frame but that's only if he gets past the Bulldogs at pick four, which is becoming more and more likely.

It was a decent pick but the prospect him of being top 10 was already out there. Plus we don't normally attribute drafting just to the wisdom of the list manager. But agree it was a very savvy draft choice.

Not suggesting Jason is a poor list manager, but not sure there a huge body of evidence that he's better than a myriad of other contenders.

Sorta.

It was a decent pick but the prospect him of being top 10 was already out there. Plus we don't normally attribute drafting just to the wisdom of the list manager. But agree it was a very savvy draft choice.

Not suggesting Jason is a poor list manager, but not sure there a huge body of evidence that he's better than a myriad of other contenders.

If we get to the point where we pick out single players in any given draft as players who were overlooked, then I doubt a single list manager in the comp would keep their jobs.

Sorta.

LOL at the AFL galaxy brains talking about how its likely he gets past the Dogs at 4.

wasnt he gifted with a whole heap of father sons at the dogs?
its much easier to implement a strategy when you’ve got a heap of known quantities.

Last edited:
As emperor palpatine would have said, everything is proceeding as foreseen. We actually did the biggest off season recruitment as we got people who are more attune to the modern needs of AFL. We also picked up a gem or two here and there, who knows when the planet aligns this year, melbourne finishes last, De Goey jumps ship, who says good things don't happen in lumps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back