News North Melbourne Have Lost the Shinboner Spirit.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../news-story/993f600823a244c9da4940277973459f?

North Melbourne has lost the Shinboner spirit, writes David King

DAVID KING HERALD SUN APRIL 24, 2019
“Visitors” being short-to-medium term occupants who either don’t believe in North Melbourne’s heart and soul — The Shinboner — or have not embraced the club’s beliefs. The Shinboner is a unifying, overarching ethos that not only embraces the struggles of the past but sets the bare minimum standards that this once great football club demands.

North Melbourne’s culture was born from the Shinboner and has always been about its people, past and present.
Often it was all we had. So the question need to be asked: Is Brad Scott a visitor? After 10 years at the helm, if it all finished today, what would his legacy as coach look like?
To my mind, Scott either misinterpreted or simply wasn’t a subscriber to “The Shinboner Spirit” upon arrival at the club.

Perhaps it’s more important for the rusted-on Kangaroos fan and the football club that our ethos remains intact. But right now it’s significantly more important to Scott and his side than any tactic or moving of player magnets. Did Kangaroos coach Brad Scott buy into North Melbourne’s famed “Shinboner spirit”?

Relationships are in fashion, regarding coach to player and coach to staff and so on. We’ve witnessed Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley shift their focus over the past couple of seasons to redefine their priorities, with stunning success. Has Scott undergone that same transformation? All great cultures possess tremendous player unity driven by the stars, from Wayne Schimmelbusch to Wayne Carey. Or even further back, as legend has it, by Les Foote and John Dugdale types. But I can only identify with the Carey model that had all players, trainers and staff on the same equal peg. Carey was a true cultural driver who stamped a one-in, all-in philosophy. Does this playing group enjoy the same bond?

The loss of Geoff Walsh as director of football cannot be understated. His preparedness to engage in difficult conversations and arrest areas of concern, or at bare minimum raise an alarm, are missing right now. On-field, the game plan is failing. Opposition sides score against North Melbourne with an uncomfortable ease and it’s been that way for years. Disturbingly, the much-lauded brutal contested ball asset has dissipated to the point of becoming docile.

When all else is lost clubs retreat to their core foundation, their identity and what they stand for, but what are the current non-negotiables at Arden St? We don’t want Scott the coach, we want Scott the player. Ben Cunnington and Scott Thompson have played in the right manner with 100 per cent effort, 100 per cent of the time. They never throw in the towel and make Kangaroo fans proud, but others must get on board. When was the last time the captain grabbed a game by the throat? The spotlight is on North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell.

Jack Ziebell cannot have a repeat of last week’s six disposal, zero tackle stat sheet. His physical presence has such an emotional influence on this group, but he must spend time at the coalface, in the true midfield on Friday night.

Has the glut of free agency acquisitions of the previous four to five years watered down and diluted the deep-seated passion for the club, over and above the pure financial gain?
Are these “consultants”, who have been selected for a specific needs in the short term, buying in to the total team requirements? The uncontested nature of how some are playing would suggest there are worrying signs. Jared Polec, Aaron Hall and this season’s version of Shaun Higgins are swanning around the ground prioritising uncontested football and personal statistical reward over the team needs, which include all defensive actions.

Regardless of all else the spotlight of Friday night football, when the club has its back to the wall, has always been the domain of the “Shinboner”. Playing Port Adelaide provides the perfect opportunity for North to reignite a season drifting aimlessly into the abyss. The Power are following the outstanding leadership of Travis Boak, Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas, but still possess much inexperience. North Melbourne must seek to ambush the Power in the same manner as Richmond only a fortnight ago.

When these Kangaroos pull on the royal blue and white vertical stripes they must be prepared to fight tooth and nail for victory with a desire that doesn’t settle for near enough is good enough. It’s season on the line at the Adelaide Oval. It takes a lot for the North Melbourne faithful to stir, but they are agitated.

I’m convinced there will be an all-club review, from top to bottom, at season’s end and I fear a broom will be swept through Arden St. But just how long those brushes will be could be determined over the next three months.

I accept that when discussing North Melbourne, I’m accused either of being too supportive, or the contrary, turning on the club that gave me all that I enjoy.

But I write this because I care.

What I’d give to select Glenn Archer, John Law and Jimmy Krakouer at the selection table tonight, not on talent, but effort alone.

Decent article, agree with a lot of what King is saying. Something is deeply amiss with the club's soul. It feels.. plastic.

Interested to see what the BF crowd think of this.
Yes a ripping article, indeed.

I've used terms like "soul sucking plastification" & "like the players are a reflection of the coach, the coach is a reflection of the board" to describe us in other threads, but they seem more applicable here.

Massive identity crisis internally under the present hierarchy, imo.

GREAT article. I distinctly recall Scott not buying into the Shinboner Spirit when he arrived at the club. He was all about the club being recognised for its talent. Pfffft. That worked well.

I never heard the term "shinboner spirit" till after Carey left. Not saying it isn't real cos it is but ... well there's a saying - "name a thing and take its power away" - and that applies to what we now call "the shinboner spirit".

Jun 26, 2012
Mos Eisley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thought it was cool actually

Pagan left a legacy for many in that team that will last some generations

Oh for sure. That was the laugh part. The puke part was that is wasn't at North.

Yes a ripping article, indeed.

I've used terms like "soul sucking plastification" & "like the players are a reflection of the coach, the coach is a reflection of the board" to describe us in other threads, but they seem more applicable here.

Massive identity crisis internally under the present hierarchy, imo.

This is the worst type of environment for someone like Hall coming into the club too. He needs people who can tell him to pull his head in a lot. If we have a weak fabric, we suck, and no strong leaders to temper this BS, it will snowball hard.

Oh for sure. That was the laugh part. The puke part was that is wasn't at North.

This is the worst type of environment for someone like Hall coming into the club too. He needs people who can tell him to pull his head in a lot. If we have a weak fabric, we suck, and no strong leaders to temper this BS, it will snowball hard.
Whilst it was a good article, I thought singling out Hall and Polec missed the mark, tbh.

They aren't the problem.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
See my bump thread from 2013

But this is in it-

March 29, 2015 7:00pm
by GRANT BAKER
Source: Herald Sun
North Melbourne players sing the song with gusto. Picture: George Salpigtidis
North Melbourne players sing the song with gusto. Picture: George SalpigtidisSource: News Corp Australia
FOR North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw, the tricky business of defining Shinboner Spirit was best done by a “beautiful old lady” he met a few years back.

“We had a lovely chat for about five minutes, and at the end of the discussion, as she was heading off, I said, ‘If you don’t mind me asking, what is it that you love about the club?’ and she sort of looked up and thought for a second and said, ‘Oh, I don’t know … Shinboners, never beaten’ and then she just turned away,” Brayshaw said.

“And I thought, never has anyone said a sentence that encapsulated what this club means more than this beautiful old lady.”

But for coach Brad Scott, when he arrived at North at the end of 2009, the term Shinboner had, he felt, been hijacked by outsiders and used as a synonym for “battler”. That it’s true spirit “had been lost”.

“I really felt coming in that we needed a fresh start, that we needed to park the term Shinboner until we could redefine it in the team’s image and redefine it for our supporters so we could once again wear it as a badge of honour,” Scott said.

But this is in it-

by GRANT BAKER
North Melbourne players sing the song with gusto. Picture: George SalpigtidisSource: News Corp Australia
FOR North Melbourne chairman James Brayshaw, the tricky business of defining Shinboner Spirit was best done by a “beautiful old lady” he met a few years back.

“We had a lovely chat for about five minutes, and at the end of the discussion, as she was heading off, I said, ‘If you don’t mind me asking, what is it that you love about the club?’ and she sort of looked up and thought for a second and said, ‘Oh, I don’t know … Shinboners, never beaten’ and then she just turned away,” Brayshaw said.

“And I thought, never has anyone said a sentence that encapsulated what this club means more than this beautiful old lady.”

But for coach Brad Scott, when he arrived at North at the end of 2009, the term Shinboner had, he felt, been hijacked by outsiders and used as a synonym for “battler”. That it’s true spirit “had been lost”.

“I really felt coming in that we needed a fresh start, that we needed to park the term Shinboner until we could redefine it in the team’s image and redefine it for our supporters so we could once again wear it as a badge of honour,” Scott said.

Name a thing and take its power away....

Whatever that term refers to ... its not about being a battler, its about hammering a stake into the ground and tying yourself to it before you face 2000 charging enemy soldiers. Fully expecting to kill them all whether you survive or not.

That's what North Melbourne always meant to me.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Name a thing and take its power away....

Whatever that term refers to ... its not about being a battler, its about hammering a stake into the ground and tying yourself to it before you face 2000 charging enemy soldiers. Fully expecting to kill them all whether you survive or not.

That's what North Melbourne always meant to me.

I specifically remember him running this line not long after he arrived at Arden Street. In recent years he has wheeled it out willy-nilly.

It highlights the arrogance required for someone to personally redefine decades of culture, and it also defines how much he is out of touch.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/sport/.../news-story/993f600823a244c9da4940277973459f?

“Visitors” being short-to-medium term occupants who either don’t believe in North Melbourne’s heart and soul — The Shinboner — or have not embraced the club’s beliefs. The Shinboner is a unifying, overarching ethos that not only embraces the struggles of the past but sets the bare minimum standards that this once great football club demands.

North Melbourne’s culture was born from the Shinboner and has always been about its people, past and present.
Often it was all we had. So the question need to be asked: Is Brad Scott a visitor? After 10 years at the helm, if it all finished today, what would his legacy as coach look like?
To my mind, Scott either misinterpreted or simply wasn’t a subscriber to “The Shinboner Spirit” upon arrival at the club.

Perhaps it’s more important for the rusted-on Kangaroos fan and the football club that our ethos remains intact. But right now it’s significantly more important to Scott and his side than any tactic or moving of player magnets. Did Kangaroos coach Brad Scott buy into North Melbourne’s famed “Shinboner spirit”?

Relationships are in fashion, regarding coach to player and coach to staff and so on. We’ve witnessed Damien Hardwick and Nathan Buckley shift their focus over the past couple of seasons to redefine their priorities, with stunning success. Has Scott undergone that same transformation? All great cultures possess tremendous player unity driven by the stars, from Wayne Schimmelbusch to Wayne Carey. Or even further back, as legend has it, by Les Foote and John Dugdale types. But I can only identify with the Carey model that had all players, trainers and staff on the same equal peg. Carey was a true cultural driver who stamped a one-in, all-in philosophy. Does this playing group enjoy the same bond?

The loss of Geoff Walsh as director of football cannot be understated. His preparedness to engage in difficult conversations and arrest areas of concern, or at bare minimum raise an alarm, are missing right now. On-field, the game plan is failing. Opposition sides score against North Melbourne with an uncomfortable ease and it’s been that way for years. Disturbingly, the much-lauded brutal contested ball asset has dissipated to the point of becoming docile.

When all else is lost clubs retreat to their core foundation, their identity and what they stand for, but what are the current non-negotiables at Arden St? We don’t want Scott the coach, we want Scott the player. Ben Cunnington and Scott Thompson have played in the right manner with 100 per cent effort, 100 per cent of the time. They never throw in the towel and make Kangaroo fans proud, but others must get on board. When was the last time the captain grabbed a game by the throat? The spotlight is on North Melbourne captain Jack Ziebell.

Jack Ziebell cannot have a repeat of last week’s six disposal, zero tackle stat sheet. His physical presence has such an emotional influence on this group, but he must spend time at the coalface, in the true midfield on Friday night.

Has the glut of free agency acquisitions of the previous four to five years watered down and diluted the deep-seated passion for the club, over and above the pure financial gain?
Are these “consultants”, who have been selected for a specific needs in the short term, buying in to the total team requirements? The uncontested nature of how some are playing would suggest there are worrying signs. Jared Polec, Aaron Hall and this season’s version of Shaun Higgins are swanning around the ground prioritising uncontested football and personal statistical reward over the team needs, which include all defensive actions.

Regardless of all else the spotlight of Friday night football, when the club has its back to the wall, has always been the domain of the “Shinboner”. Playing Port Adelaide provides the perfect opportunity for North to reignite a season drifting aimlessly into the abyss. The Power are following the outstanding leadership of Travis Boak, Ollie Wines and Tom Jonas, but still possess much inexperience. North Melbourne must seek to ambush the Power in the same manner as Richmond only a fortnight ago.

When these Kangaroos pull on the royal blue and white vertical stripes they must be prepared to fight tooth and nail for victory with a desire that doesn’t settle for near enough is good enough. It’s season on the line at the Adelaide Oval. It takes a lot for the North Melbourne faithful to stir, but they are agitated.

I’m convinced there will be an all-club review, from top to bottom, at season’s end and I fear a broom will be swept through Arden St. But just how long those brushes will be could be determined over the next three months.

I accept that when discussing North Melbourne, I’m accused either of being too supportive, or the contrary, turning on the club that gave me all that I enjoy.

What I’d give to select Glenn Archer, John Law and Jimmy Krakouer at the selection table tonight, not on talent, but effort alone.

Decent article, agree with a lot of what King is saying. Something is deeply amiss with the club's soul. It feels plastic.

Best thing I have ever read from him. Nails it.

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Iirc Scotts argument re SSpirit was to reinvent it into a modern form instead of ‘poor old North’

Don’t have a problem with that, but how he went about it was the error of his ways
This is spot on. It was a conscious decision to move away from the 'backs against the wall' mindset which was felt to be to limiting to the club's growth. At the time I thought fair enough but they did backflip on that as we really need it to remain competitive plus it's part of our DNA.

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
https://amp.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...news- story/993f600823a244c9da4940277973459f?
Nothing will change Scott won't go he knows we haven't got 1.5M to pay him out plus other monies to pay others to go as well plus if you think Buckley Dilena will do it and sack him there haven't got the balls to do it both are week and decadent.
Need to hold on for up to 3 years of pain North supporters before we rise up the ladder top ups won't cut it anymore.
1st go to Mid Season draft and find the best CHF or CHB not playing AFL and draft him then use picks 1 to 3 in draft for running players with Skill then rest of picks get a Ruckman out of WAFL SANFL VFL or NEFL who has size and build to go straight away and another Forward .
Start doing that for the next 3 years and hit the draft hard.
But with Egos of the boys club will continue and if supporters think Kelly from GWS is coming forget it.
The only way he will come if we offer him The Captaincy of the club.

Decent article, agree with a lot of what King is saying. Something is deeply amiss with the club's soul. It feels.. plastic.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool

But this is in it-

by GRANT BAKER

I thought Brad had a point early on... that it wasn't being defined as skilful or successful.

Hate that 'never beaten' line, and more so its origins from this one random conversation, picked up and loved by one person, JB. Felt like undue influence, and, frankly, 'just asking for it.'

For me... Pride. Determination. Grit. and to borrow from our song Hard to Beat (since tainted.) We can be beaten, but we'll give you an almighty battle to do it. On field, Aggressive (at the ball/in the game, vs at the man.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is spot on. It was a conscious decision to move away from the 'backs against the wall' mindset which was felt to be to limiting to the club's growth. At the time I thought fair enough but they did backflip on that as we really need it to remain competitive plus it's part of our DNA.

Barassi and Pagan,which is basically how I see North at its best, demanded the best of their players. They may have had flaws in terms of how we see things today but the whole culture did, they were products of it. They still demanded the best of their players. That was uncompromising.

There's no point in hammering a stake into the ground and taking on an army (metaphorically or for real) unless you're capable of doing it and being capable, like victory, takes some dedication.

Ben Brown had it when he strove so hard to overcome everything that was in his way as a football player. I think he still does cos he's come out harder after Wayne Carey gave him a spray.

Anyone see the physical paper?

On same page Jon Anderson suggests a swap with Horse and Scotts

I'd rather shoot myself in the head. Horse is worse than Scott.

Barassi and Pagan,which is basically how I see North at its best, demanded the best of their players. They may have had flaws in terms of how we see things today but the whole culture did, they were products of it. They still demanded the best of their players. That was uncompromising.

There's no point in hammering a stake into the ground and taking on an army (metaphorically or for real) unless you're capable of doing it and being capable, like victory, takes some dedication.

Ben Brown had it when he strove so hard to overcome everything that was in his way as a football player. I think he still does cos he's come out harder after Wayne Carey gave him a spray.

He shouldn't have to cop a spray. We collectively do not extract the digit and want to be the best, whenever we get comfortable, we try to coast than push to the next level. Every one of our AAs has fallen off a cliff the year after making the AA team.

You can be critical of Carey for the off-field shenanigans, however, he was Wayne Carey All Australian 1992, 1993, 1994. 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000. All Australian captain 1993, 1998, 1999, 2000

He didn't need people in the media to spray him because he was giving half-arsed efforts. Where is the desire in this generation to be the best?

He shouldn't have to cop a spray. We collectively do not extract the digit and want to be the best, whenever we get comfortable, we try to coast than push to the next level. Every one of our AAs has fallen off a cliff the year after making the AA team.

He obviously needed it cos he came out playing with the intensity he and others have missed.

But yeah I generally agree. We need to start demanding more of our players, and the rest of the club. This year's membership debacle is actually a good place to start on that front.

Thought it was cool actually

Pagan left a legacy for many in that team that will last some generations
The problem is Pagan’s legacy is benefitting other clubs, not the club it was built around. We need a North Melbourne person in charge of our football team. A North Melbourne person who understands and embraces the spirit with which this club was built.

As for the article, it’s a great read and a great insight from someone with inside knowledge.

Sep 1, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While it’s a good read it doesn’t get to the real problem.
Football matches are won by teams that play as a team and have ability. At the moment the team is a rabble and is playing with no confidence.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Re pagan and Barassi - I even thought that about Kennedy as a kid even tho he didn't have the best run with us.

Basically started up our 90's side.

He's the exact thing we need right now.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
While it’s a good read it doesn’t get to the real problem.
Football matches are won by teams that play as a team and have ability. At the moment the team is a rabble and is playing with no confidence.

And skill

6 goals to 1 goal through turnovers at half time last Friday

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I never heard the term "shinboner spirit" till after Carey left. Not saying it isn't real cos it is but ... well there's a saying - "name a thing and take its power away" - and that applies to what we now call "the shinboner spirit".
Ferbs, Pagan used to say it a lot. Before Pagan I don’t think I’d heard it hardly at all

Back