Other Teams
TIGERS
There are positives and negatives for both I think

In favour of North Melbourne

- Doesn't get coached by his father
- Likely to get games earlier
- Likely to get a big contract shortly after signing

In favour of Sydney

- Gets to stay in his home state, maybe his actual home, so he stays with his friends
- Probably been a Swans fan since he was old enough to understand the rules of the AFL
- Gets to be a part of a side that is in finals contention

Girls also a LOT "loose and free" in Sydney.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
Honestly any player once they have been through the draft process and not been drafted should be free agents. Shouldn't be a need for a rookie draft as you sign the players as a undrafted player.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
fair and square hahaha. wheres the other clubs academys? I'll even admit its unfair North will get Tarryn Thomas for free.

I agree. It’s complete bulshit that we get special access to Tarryn Thomas but I’m not complaining because the AFL’s bullshit rarely falls in our favour.

I think it’s simple. We have academies and zones or we have a national draft. Pick one afl.

Augustine

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
Honestly any player once they have been through the draft process and not been drafted should be free agents. Shouldn't be a need for a rookie draft as you sign the players as a undrafted player.

Wow that’s sensible.

I theory I agree with you... then part of me thinks that this might be something that nudges teams towards "encouraging" players to not put their best foot forward so they can pick them up as unlisted free agents – and reward them financially. Having them restricted to rookies could be seen as a valuable integrity measure.

I’m a big fan of rookie’s being available to play at any time and think that’s a positive step. Teams should be able to rookie list for example a ready to go ruckman rather than use a development player in that role at the first injury.

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I agree. It’s complete bulshit that we get special access to Tarryn Thomas but I’m not complaining because the AFL’s bullshit rarely falls in our favour.

I think it’s simple. We have academies and zones or we have a national draft. Pick one afl.
Yeah, unless every club has it, its simply not fair. Not going to campaign against it...

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
I theory I agree with you... then part of me thinks that this might be something that nudges teams towards "encouraging" players to not put their best foot forward so they can pick them up as unlisted free agents – and reward them financially. Having them restricted to rookies could be seen as a valuable integrity measure.

I’m a big fan of rookie’s being available to play at any time and think that’s a positive step. Teams should be able to rookie list for example a ready to go ruckman rather than use a development player in that role at the first injury.
I meant that the rookie draft is scraped not the rookie list. Also state league players would be able to be added to senior lists without entering the draft.

Clubs have had 5 to 7 rounds in the national draft to pick up a player if they want. After that all rookie spots are as undrafted free agents.

Also older state league players who were overlooked previously should have the right to sign as a undrafted free agent. As clubs had the choice when they were teens to take them. Surley a certain criteria can be put in place to prevent draft manipulation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I meant that the rookie draft is scraped not the rookie list. Also state league players would be able to be added to senior lists without entering the draft.

Clubs have had 5 to 7 rounds in the national draft to pick up a player if they want. After that all rookie spots are as undrafted free agents.

Also older state league players who were overlooked previously should have the right to sign as a undrafted free agent. As clubs had the choice when they were teens to take them. Surley a certain criteria can be put in place to prevent draft manipulation.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah. I'm not against it per se as I said, just need to be careful that there's no potential for corruption of the system. You could just as easily argue that clubs can pick up any of these players in the rookie draft as well - so why not just do so.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Will be interesting to see how that pans out. I suspect he's yours, but there is the decent chance he may not want to be coached by his Dad, or his Dad may not feel it best for him to be coached by his Dad.

We should send Ryan Pagan up to get in Nick's ear.

Why don't Brisbane have any chance?

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Self reporting makes it so much worse. Proves it to be a calculated breach by the club.

I mean c'mon it's not like North were aware these blokes weren't training with them!

Back