North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we need a PP, it is not really going to do anything to fix the short-term problems, sure our list has deficiencies but everyone does.

Our midfield is just going through transition, we have lost a lot of our mature mids, Anderson missed the pre-season due to covid, Cunnington had nut cancer, Polec has been injured most of the year, Phillips has been out all year with glandular fever. The only one in the middle at a realistic weight to height ratio is LDU and he has been playing okay but is not an inside mid.

We have mostly relied on Simpkin who is 77kg. We picked up Greenwood but he is a human octopus, he tackles a lot but he doesn't get much of the ball, he is averaging 16 disposals and 3.5 clearances, he isn't helping us to attack. Against GWS we had 60 hitouts vs 13, 33 clearances vs 32, 113 contested possessions vs 102 and we lost badly, only had 40 inside 50s vs 54 and just couldn't go with them to put pressure on, couldn't lock the ball in the forward half, had troubles getting out of the defensive half. A lot of the guys in the middle and the flanks are undersized and they haven't played much footy together, it is compounded by the way Noble is having them play makes it harder to hold up defensively.

I think the biggest disadvantage is if you turn over a lot of players and hit the draft pretty hard it puts a lot more strain on your assistants because a young kids needs a lot more development work than a 25+ year old player who is in his prime, even a #1 pick. JUH and Thilthorpe aren't exactly setting the world on fire either but they aren't under the same kind of microscope.

The reality is JHF is 185cm/81kg, Goater 190cm/80kg, Curtis 185cm/75kg, Bergman 188cm/65kg, Phillips 181cm/80kg, Lazzaro 179cm/73kg, Powell 184cm/75kg, Mahony 178cm/72kg, Scott 186cm/77kg. Taylor 187cm/78kg, Thomas 189cm/76kg, LDU 188cm/87kg, Stephenson 188cm/75kg, Simpkin 182cm/77kg

My high school side had a bulkier midfield than that, I am not faulting the kids that have only been through one or two pre-seasons but the problem are the ones who have been through a number of pre-seasons and are inadequate to play in the middle.

It isn't a shortage of talent, we need to get them on the James Hird supplement program and they need an AFL standard body if they are going to compete. We don't really have someone that can come in and do what Cunnington has done for us. Problems from the middle exacerbate all other problems, both in defense and in attack. Getting an end of first round PP isn't going to do s**t to address it.

Noble and the development crew needs to get the players physically ready to play AFL and if they can't do it then they need to move out of the way for someone that can.

I think the major problem has been the lack of direction with Noble, all the clubs who have changed coach recently, you can see significant differences between the new coach and the past coach, play a bit differently, some different focuses, just things you can tell in terms of different approaches. I haven't really seen us address in any way of the issues we had 2 years ago and despite him saying he wants us to attack more there isn't any visual evidence of the team playing different and playerwise it is radically different to the team two years ago.

Clubs improve when they have the right structure from the top down and I think that is the core of our issue, I don't think draft assistance is going to do anything until you have the right people and right systems in place who can execute what it is you want to achieve.

Who ever thought we'd yearn for the Brad Scott days?
The Brad Scott days created this list hole. No s**t we'd yearn for a time before a bunch of good players got too old to keep playing and the ones we traded in in a desperate attempt to avoid bottoming out turned out to be busts.

If any team is to receive special assistance from the AFL it should not be in the form of priority picks (unless you're a new team, as you actually don't have a list when starting out).
Priority picks directly affect all the other teams who have a pick after the priority pick/s.
Soft cap or other assistance doesnt directly rob from other clubs.

Looking back at when Brisbane got the last priority pick.
They had three seasons in a row of under 70% percentage when they were allocated it and had missed finals for seven seasons.
North have missed finals for six seasons in a row at end of this season.
Only this season will it be under 70% in last three seasons.
One clear thing about the Brisbane time was of those last three seasons, each season their results were worse. So it was not just one bad season down, but increasingly worse each season on percentage.

Last season North improved on one before, this season at present gone backwards which clearly partly due to Cunnington out and Jed Anderson missed a fair few games too but they still on their list.
Brisbane only seemed to have Dayne Beams missing a lot.

Next 9 matches crucial for North.
IF, they not show any improvement and only win one or two more games, I think the AFL will cave in to hand another one out.
Brisbane were handed one at end of the first round of that 2016 draft.

I think they should just get extra soft cap space for coaches/recruiters for the time being. It’s not the picks they’ve got plenty its poor management and coaching. Fossils like Goldstein need to be cleared out, I thought he retired 5 years ago.

The AFL and North are grateful to the Dons in allowing West Coast to rise from the sludge of 18th. PPs and other assistance to a 17th finishing North would have been an embarrassing sell.

Dollars to donuts North will beat Essendon when they play.

I think they should just get extra soft cap space for coaches/recruiters for the time being. It’s not the picks they’ve got plenty its poor management and coaching. Fossils like Goldstein need to be cleared out, I thought he retired 5 years ago.
Its quite probable clearing out too many at once has helped cause this mess. Having effectively three restarts in three years doesn't help either when at the start of a rebuild. New coach, or no coach at one stage, and new plans means new recruiting and retainment strategies.

That's how things turn out sometimes. As things stand, Goldy will almost certainly go around next year. He could come very close to winning (highly devalued due to the year it is in) the B&F this year.

But, I don't believe that the PP should exist. So, on that basis, don't believe we should get one. I can't see any soft cap increase helping, I doubt we pay the full cap as things stand. Nor should rules be bent like that, IMO.
Tomorrow is probably the last chance to win a game before 2024, and unlikely to be won. So be it.

Its quite probable clearing out too many at once has helped cause this mess. Having effectively three restarts in three years doesn't help either when at the start of a rebuild. New coach, or no coach at one stage, and new plans means new recruiting and retainment strategies.

That's how things turn out sometimes. As things stand, Goldy will almost certainly go around next year. He could come very close to winning (highly devalued due to the year it is in) the B&F this year.

But, I don't believe that the PP should exist. So, on that basis, don't believe we should get one. I can't see any soft cap increase helping, I doubt we pay the full cap as things stand. Nor should rules be bent like that, IMO.
Tomorrow is probably the last chance to win a game before 2024, and unlikely to be won. So be it.

On the flip side of cutting the list too deeply, the Crows current problem is they probably didn't cut their senior list enough during the start of their rebuild, and are still stuck with many plodders/foot soldiers who proved costly against The Suns last week (for example)

Doesn't seem to be a right way to either approach how both teams have gone about their rebuilds so far, except to say both clubs are paying the price for probably 10 years of mediocre drafting and player development previously.

On the flip side of cutting the list too deeply, the Crows current problem is they probably didn't cut their senior list enough during the start of their rebuild, and are still stuck with many plodders/foot soldiers who proved costly against The Suns last week (for example)

Doesn't seem to be a right way to either approach how both teams have gone about their rebuilds so far, except to say both clubs are paying the price for probably 10 years of mediocre drafting and player development previously.
The Crows are just going through regular bottom-of-the-cycle stuff, IMO. They have drawing power to attract players, and money to spend on development, to get out in normal cycle time. We are on the verge of entering a Carlton-style decade of hell, without a way out, because while there are senior players out there few are leaders and even less lead by example.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goldy is still going well theres a reason why geelong offered him 4 years in 2019 and hes only been pushed forward so xerri didnt walk (i would have let him walk but thats not goldys fault).

I totally agree re soft cap giving them more picks is like throwing mud at a wall its useless unless they have better quality development staff. Let them go say 30 % over the soft cap (coaching resources only player salary cap still stays the same as other clubs) for the next 5 years and provide afl funding to help foot the bill.

The AFL and North are grateful to the Dons in allowing West Coast to rise from the sludge of 18th. PPs and other assistance to a 17th finishing North would have been an embarrassing sell.

Why? Never been an embarrassing sell before.

Have you no shame?

Have I no shame? Of course not.

I just don't understand the point of your post. AFL assistance isn't based on finishing bottom and never has been. The game last night changed nothing, not to mention it's round 15. Just seemed like a redundant post designed to dig in.

Have I no shame? Of course not.

I just don't understand the point of your post. AFL assistance isn't based on finishing bottom and never has been. The game last night changed nothing, not to mention it's round 15. Just seemed like a redundant post designed to dig in.

No doubt North will get a heap of AFL support. Like feeding the pokies, it is good money after bad and is a drain on the Comp.

Why they game Gold Coast PPs when they finished above north.

No doubt North will get a heap of AFL support. Like feeding the pokies, it is good money after bad and is a drain on the Comp.

The irony of this coming from a Swans fan is not lost on anyone friend:)

You are just here to try fish Filth Wiz (whom to his credit, isn't biting :) )

Also to be honest, North really haven't got that much support from the AFL (with regards to funding and draft pick support) in relation to most other clubs, especially Sydney.

It's very easy (and maybe fun) to accuse and make fun of North of many things, but accusing them of being welfare recipients off the AFL's teat (in a manner of speaking) is as Mr T would say, Jibba Jabba.

I still think soft cap relief and professional assistance to get the right people into key administration positions is more important for Norths long term success. But if they were to receive draft assistance, an end of first rounder would be acceptable.

Essentially CCJ as draft assistance.

People severely underrate coaching. Tigers went from 13th to premiers the next year from a new gameplan with the same list, Voss has also dramatically improved the blues from last year, Dees had pretty much the same list that finished 17th in 2019 to premiers last year again just because of a new gameplan and of course you have Clarkson with the hawks that broke the 1v1 defence era. More picks is not the answer.

North have taken a first round pick in the draft every year since 2002 so that’s a fairly long term commitment to rebuilding.
For some reason I thought North had been s**t for years.

They were solid 2012 to 2018 (mid range) after topping up with free agents, and this is there 3rd year of being s**t.

Give them a few more years, and then see how they go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back