North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except Gold Coast got that partially due to the fact that they were an expansion side that had never been successful. In order for the AFL to gain better traction in the Gold Coast market they need a successful footy team in that area. What is the added benefit to the AFL of providing a massive priority package to u guys.
Well im not asking for the exact same I’m asking for half of it

Instead of 3 pp and 4 extra rookies and ability to prelist academy picks

I’m expecting 2pp

1 start of first round should be the min

Gc got that plus 2 other first round pp and had a better win loss record over a 3 year period compared to us

When you win 8 games over 3 years And 2 years prior 1 win off the spoon I’m expecting a fair bit

Otherwise sets an interesting new precedent and can’t see anyone ever getting pp And if clubs ask for one in the future we just quote them this scenario

My view, and it has nothing to do with North, is that any team that does not make finals should not have their first pick compromised. Preferably no team should have their first selection compromised.

But past that, they should look at creative ways to try and help out clubs that are struggling, like North are at the moment.

A priority pick end of first is reasonable.
I think that was what Brisbane got but they had far less young talent than North have at present. North situation is more about the hard yards of re-build through draft and current s**t coaching with player lost faith than actual raw talent on list.

But I think it is where it likely to end up due to current trajectory of season.

Gold Coast's 2019 package was more than about recent on-field results though, North do not even have close to the financial or player retention issues that Gold Coast have at the moment so they shouldn't be benchmarking their support on that package.

Maybe if all of JHF, LDU, Tarryn Thomas and Ben McKay leave in a three year period we can revisit a before first round pick because that's pretty much what Gold Coast went through to get one (O'Meara, Lynch, May, KK, Scrimshaw, Hall, Saad, Prestia...).

1 start of first round should be the min

Gc got that plus 2 other first round pp and had a better win loss record over a 3 year period compared to us

When you win 8 games over 3 years And 2 years prior 1 win off the spoon I’m expecting a fair bit

Otherwise sets an interesting new precedent and can’t see anyone ever getting pp And if clubs ask for one in the future we just quote them this scenario

But Gold Coast got it because half of their list left also. Lynch, Omeara, Hall, May, Ablett, Martin etc all left the club and left them with nothing.

Gold Coast's 2019 package was more than about recent on-field results though, North do not even have close to the financial or player retention issues that Gold Coast have at the moment so they shouldn't be benchmarking their support on that package.

Maybe if all of JHF, LDU, Tarryn Thomas and Ben McKay leave in a three year period we can revisit a before first round pick because that's pretty much what Gold Coast went through to get one (O'Meara, Lynch, May, KK, Scrimshaw, Hall, Saad, Prestia...).
Regardless if 8 wins across 3 years doesn’t get you a start of first round at a min then nothing will

Regardless if 8 wins across 3 years doesn’t get you a start of first round at a min then nothing will
Dude, I literally just said what would get you a start of first round pick at a min.

Let us hope so. Would put it to bed once and for all.
AFL have tended to talk down first round priority picks in last decade and a bit, to the point most of us expected it a thing of the past. Let's hope so as changing goal posts does piss fans off.

Yeah but why do I care what you say?

I’m talking win loss current facts not hypothetical players leaving

Similar to when there was a formula

Are you trolling or dull?

He explained it to you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope. They got themselves into this mess. They can get themselves out.

North chose their course, now need to take responsibility and get on with the hard yards of rebuild.
Sorting out the coaching and football department would be a start.
Walsh needs to identify those responsible for the litany of poor decisions and exit them … perhaps they have already largely flown the coop.
The rest of the competition shouldn’t be disadvantaged for north’s own failings …

North chose their course, now need to take responsibility and get on with the hard yards of rebuild.
Sorting out the coaching and football department would be a start.
Walsh needs to identify those responsible for the litany of poor decisions and exit them … perhaps they have already largely flown the coop.
The rest of the competition shouldn’t be disadvantaged for north’s own failings

The problem is the AFL have a clear equalisation policy so this goes against your notion the AFL should not disadvantage other clubs. They do that on purpose to try to make it more even, so you talking a football revolution to suggest they go totally against their own policies. I think it more a case of how to improve North from the current trajectory because a side not being competitive is not good for competition...Ten matches in a row where never really been in it.
Their lowest losing margin in that time is 47 points..

It at a very interesting point for both club and league.

My view, and it has nothing to do with North, is that any team that does not make finals should not have their first pick compromised. Preferably no team should have their first selection compromised.

But past that, they should look at creative ways to try and help out clubs that are struggling, like North are at the moment.
Solid...

Would rather a couple of experienced players with mature heads/bodies, not another youngster to get tainted by the current situation the club is in
This is exactly this.
So as a league how do we engineer it that mature players that have actual ability for the now can help North in next couple of years be more stable whilst the young talent North already drafted develop together to impact games more?

Do we need to adjust the free agency system to make it more geared to help teams way down below? and if so, how do we do it?
Tom Lynch to Richmond when they were going well is probably not best for competition or what free agency was meant to lead to.
Swans years back got Lockett and Paul Roos to their club when they were s**t like this. That was well before free agency existed but in a way, worked for the time period of league then and what equalisation is meant to achieve. This is type of help North need now. A priority pick for talented 18 year actually does nothing in the now and just complicates things further and takes from another club down below that is early in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back