North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the blues did when they got their priority picks lol

Once again, 2007 has no relevance to now.

Our current build didn’t have any PPs.

Though you seem convinced that North deserve a priority pick just cos they didn’t get one in the 2000s.

If Geelong are this bad in say 2025 do you want them to have a PP as well considering they didn’t get one 20 years prior?

I’m not sure if Carlton fans have wiped their shitness and priority picks from their memories or their posters are just stupid

It’s more it has no relevance to the current situation at north, or to our club now for that matter.

We had to do the hard yards for this build from 2015 onwards.

Btw I’m not even against North getting a PP, but I don’t think who got PPs and who didn’t under a system which ended over 10 years ago (admittedly stupid system that was practically begging for clubs to game the system, and more than half a dozen did) should be any factor in determining if you or anyone else gets a PP now.

Of course having that player will help, but you get pick 1 again and will get another high pick next year. That will be 4 very high picks in a row + LDU + Tarryn Thomas. Why should North get an extra shot at landing that sort of player over West Coast, Adelaide, Essendon, Hawthorn? Adelaide could have moved Walker on a few years ago and lost a few more games, but why should they be disadvantaged further for trying to win?
why was North disadvantaged for years while other sides got priority picks in the past and we never did ?

we aren't asking for something that no other club has received..

The bottom line is North lacks quality players. Those traded in are likely getting fat pay packets. The best of them is Hall and he plays as an unaccountable defender - he is generously a B grader. Taylor, Curtis, Powell and JHF all show some promise but are miles away. LDU and (yes) Thomas are good players.

This weekend they visit the Litter Box to play Geelong. I challenge everyone arguing against support to make a composite Roos/Cats team based on the Teams named on Thursday night. I reckon only 3 or 4 Roos best players would make a composite team.

I am on record as supporting elimination/merger of North BUT while they are playing, the Comp requires they be competitive. They are a long way off and it will take several seasons of sustained support to get them to a middling team.

As it stands Clubs and their fans will skim the 2023 fixture and celebrate if they play North twice. A repeat of this season could see calls for special handling of the double ups - maybe a standard % boost for the other 17 Teams and ignore the margins of actual games, an introduction of the Mercy Rule etc.

The bottom line is North lacks quality players. Those traded in are likely getting fat pay packets. The best of them is Hall and he plays as an unaccountable defender - he is generously a B grader. Taylor, Curtis, Powell and JHF all show some promise but are miles away. LDU and (yes) Thomas are good players.

This weekend they visit the Litter Box to play Geelong. I challenge everyone arguing against support to make a composite Roos/Cats team based on the Teams named on Thursday night. I reckon only 3 or 4 Roos best players would make a composite team.

I am on record as supporting elimination/merger of North BUT while they are playing, the Comp requires they be competitive. They are a long way off and it will take several seasons of sustained support to get them to a middling team.

As it stands Clubs and their fans will skim the 2023 fixture and celebrate if they play North twice. A repeat of this season could see calls for special handling of the double ups - maybe a standard % boost for the other 17 Teams and ignore the margins of actual games, an introduction of the Mercy Rule etc.
There won't be a repeat next year. We won a game this year, albeit against a WAFL side put together 36 hours before the game. That won't be repeated next year.

Slobbo wrote in his HUN article about David Noble this evening that Brad Scott may be the bloke who decides whether North gets a Priority Pick.

Surely that is not appropriate/conflict of interest etc

We gave him a nice pay out. Here come the first five picks.

Slobbo wrote in his HUN article about David Noble this evening that Brad Scott may be the bloke who decides whether North gets a Priority Pick.

That’s us ****ed, we’d probably lose picks

The entire history of governance in the Australian Football League is one monumental confluence of conflicts of interest.

It’s more it has no relevance to the current situation at north, or to our club now for that matter.

We had to do the hard yards for this build from 2015 onwards.

Btw I’m not even against North getting a PP, but I don’t think who got PPs and who didn’t under a system which ended over 10 years ago (admittedly stupid system that was practically begging for clubs to game the system, and more than half a dozen did) should be any factor in determining if you or anyone else gets a PP now.
Correct.
I think Tom Scully the last of the previous system of priority picks.

The now really only has Brisbane or Suns from non-traditional football expansion states with context of any type of assistance picks given.

The old system of priority picks that played a big part in mid 90's to mid 2000's and Chris Judd era is over.
In fact even Tom Scully retired so that old system of priority picks was essentially closed some time ago.

We now in new era where any type of priority picks is speculation territory and up to the whims of the AFL what, if any assistance has merit.
Suns handed some and that was presented more as a assistance package for a new club that struggled and needed a reset in AFL spin.
Brisbane got one at end of a first round for possibly a combination or retention issues specific to Queensland market and that had been very poor with percentage on ladder very poor for a number of seasons in a row.
Anything North should be considered for assistance as a speculation, would be more in line with comparing to Brisbane line of form in the seasons leading up to their end of first round pick assistance.

North do not have same issue as Brisbane did of drafting nearly all of their talent from other states and the challenge to have them continue there long term.
It will be interesting if there is any assistance and what form of assistance should it be granted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton didn't need to tank, the list was ridiculously bad and old after we broke the salary cap

But hey, at least we didn't implement a systematic, experimental, doping program on our players .....

Lol - cant handle the on topic heat so you side track with drugs talk. so defensive.

The topic is about priority picks, of which Carltons tanking is relevant to the discussion as your tanking resulted in a priority pick. You may have been s**t for years after you illegally broke the cap, but you absolutely and 100% did tank in 2007.

Chris Judd and Jack Darling served you well....
Judd even got you Kennedy later
2018 and 2006 flags might not have happened without them...
Luke Shuey was a PP as well. Do Eagles even make the GF without him?

I'm against Priority Picks in general because the benefit to some teams has been enormous. I don't like the AFL artificially manufacturing Premierships.

The Draft is enough mechanism for equalisation. Having Pick 1 is pretty huge. North could have turned it into 3 first-rounders last year, which would have been wise.

I’m not sure if Carlton fans have wiped their shitness and priority picks from their memories or their posters are just stupid

I'm going to go with stupid.

I'm against Priority Picks in general because the benefit to some teams has been enormous. I don't like the AFL artificially manufacturing Premierships.

The Draft is enough mechanism for equalisation. Having Pick 1 is pretty huge. North could have turned it into 3 first-rounders last year, which would have been wise.
Again the trade was 2021 pick 1 and 2022 second (currently 19) for pick 4, 2022 Adel pick 6 and melb 2022 (currently 18)

So it was three picks, if you used points (in the abscence of other measurements) when considering down grading that pick one, negligible upgrading pick 19 and gaining that extra pick 6 it works out that we would have gained the equivalent of a pick 8 or so in exchange for losing the opportunity for a talent greater than we’ve brought into the club for 20 years. It’s hardly the great deal it’s made out to be. Effectively 2 very good prospects or one prospect touted to be elite (which is rare).

Again the trade was 2021 pick 1 and 2022 second (currently 19) for pick 4, 2022 Adel pick 6 and melb 2022 (currently 18)

So it was three picks, if you used points (in the abscence of other measurements) when considering down grading that pick one, negligible upgrading pick 19 and gaining that extra pick 6 it works out that we would have gained the equivalent of a pick 8 or so in exchange for losing the opportunity for a talent greater than we’ve brought into the club for 20 years. It’s hardly the great deal it’s made out to be. Effectively 2 very good prospects or one prospect touted to be elite (which is rare).
It's just an example that Pick 1 holds value. In the Adelaide offer, you get Rachelle, then the rest is bonus picks.

Personally, I would have been pretty tempted to take the Richmond offer. Gibcus would be ideal right about now, and then the rest of the deal would have been gravy.

This is the same competition where the previous AFL General Manager of Football Operations went straight into being the CEO of Geelong FC, and took the AFL GM job after being General Manager of Geelong FC.

Yeah, that one escaped me the other day.
Well there you go, Eagles never won a flag with assistance and now finally they have to build without a helping hand.
Interesting times ahead for that club.
New territory they are in this decade.

I still think PPs are dumb and I don't think we need any, that being said, they gave GC pick 2 and they weren't as s**t as we are, they should be consistent with it, not just use it to prop up the teams they want to succeed. They should be consistent with it or just come out and say this is a farce and isn't a real competition, it is the WWF of ball codes.

I think what would be more effective is allowing us to have more development staff if their intention is to get us to be more competitive sooner without making us OP.

Just posted this elsewhere, but why doesn't the AFL give North pick 11 or 12, who then trade it to GWS for Tanner Bruhn ?

Draft and other clubs are not comprised at all in that scenario, GWS get fair market value for a player they drafted and developed only 2 years ago, and North get a ready to go young gun who would sorely bolster their mid field.

That would seem the fairest solution for everyone, and believe most clubs would sign off on that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back