North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
West coast will probably be down a similar amount of time. I don't expect them to ask for handouts, rather I expect them to draft appropriately and make astute trades, as per how the system is designed.

I know you weren't one gunning for picks btw, so it's not a dig at you.
You lot are in s=a similar position to us two and three years ago. Our best performers and most important players were our oldest players.

And honestly given what we just got I hope I'm the last person whinging if you get assistance as well.

Most 'credible'(dangerous word, I know) journos are now saying WCE likely to pick Reid/needs an 'overwhelming' offer to trade/Reid happy to go anywhere/etc.
OK...
I'm not fussed either way. Best of luck to whoever gets him. He's an awesome talent, but my mini-conspiracy theory doesn't need to take any info from 'credible' journos into account.

You lot are in s=a similar position to us two and three years ago. Our best performers and most important players were our oldest players.

And honestly given what we just got I hope I'm the last person whinging if you get assistance as well.
Don't want it tbh. Rather the club dig themselves out. I'd personally have far more faith in the club if they can do that.

I'm reading a book about developing good habits at the moment(Atomic Habits) and in the first part there's a very interesting example of the British cycling team being utter useless for 100 years. Got a new coach and he went through the program tooth and nail to make the smallest of changes everywhere. After a couple of years, they went to one of the most successful cycling teams in history, with many of the same riders.

All those tiny changes all culminated in one massive one. Great story and one I hope the powers that be at WCE are aware of and implement into club philosophy.

OK...
I'm not fussed either way. Best of luck to whoever gets him. He's an awesome talent, but my mini-conspiracy theory doesn't need to take any info from 'credible' journos into account.
Well, at least you're happy with calling it a conspiracy theory and not logging into a troll account to tell everyone you've got 'mail', lol.

I can respect that.

So, 5 less?

Remind me why a club that's played 2x prelims in the last decade now has begged for handouts 3 years in a row, while a club that's been mired mid-table for over a decade gets nothing?

Oh, that's right. One club 'engineered' their fall down the ladder.
Spare me.

The assistance is based on our recent appalling win/loss record. We were mired mid table for years and never got assistance either.

If the AFL didn't think it was appropriate, they could've just said no.

Spare me.

The assistance is based on our recent appalling win/loss record. We were mired mid table for years and never got assistance either.

If the AFL didn't think it was appropriate, they could've just said no.
They should've, North already have the best draft hand without gifting them even more.

Equalisation is a pure myth in this league.

Yes but it's not exactly attractive from a WCE point of view.

They can't be 'scared' of Reid's supposed go home factor by giving North picks to trade to WCE in a draft bereft of high-end WA talent.

WCE would just say no and take their chances.

Trading with other clubs? That's a different story

Don't forget, Dillon was very firm earlier in the year that WCE don't qualify for assistance.
Yeah fair enough. I wouldn't have thought we'd have those picks to trade with you lot. If the AFL wanted that to happen they'd have given us pick 3 as well and said we have to trade it.

They might have done it to give us the opportunity to "get creative" in chasing Sanders tho. He's a gun. May end up as good as Reid in a few years time.

But also not really what we need right now. We need one or two of Caddy, Walter, Curtin, Watson and McKercher. (Not in that order necessarily.) They all give us something we''re missing now. We should have two picks in the top 3 cos of Mckay and may end up with a third in the top 5 or 6 because of this assistance. If we do we'll have no excuses in three seasons time.

Bear in mind I think McKay compo should be pick 3. He thinks he's worth that much and the market agrees. We might even agree but we have other players who will rightfully demand a fair chunk of our cap space in the next few years. Personally I'd value them over McKay and I think the list managers do too.

So we should have gone into this draft with 2,3 and 14 (end up 17 at the earliest with matched bids and compo most likely,) which by anyone's standards is a great draft hand. Now we have 2, 3, 14 and 19 in the top 20 and could turn it into 2, 3 and 5 or something similar. Most likely 3, 4 and 6 after Walter gets taken.

Like I said its a little embarrassing if we end up getting that draft hand. At least there are no excuses from now on. We might be bottom four next year but should be charging up the ladder in 2025.

Yeah fair enough. I wouldn't have thought we'd have those picks to trade with you lot. If the AFL wanted that to happen they'd have given us pick 3 as well and said we have to trade it.

They might have done it to give us the opportunity to "get creative" in chasing Sanders tho. He's a gun. May end up as good as Reid in a few years time.

But also not really what we need right now. We need one or two of Caddy, Walter, Curtin, Watson and McKercher. (Not in that order necessarily.) They all give us something we''re missing now. We should have two picks in the top 3 cos of Mckay and may end up with a third in the top 5 or 6 because of this assistance. If we do we'll have no excuses in three seasons time.

Bear in mind I think McKay compo should be pick 3. He thinks he's worth that much and the market agrees. We might even agree but we have other players who will rightfully demand a fair chunk of our cap space in the next few years. Personally I'd value them over McKay and I think the list managers do too.

So we should have gone into this draft with 2,3 and 14 (end up 17 at the earliest with matched bids and compo most likely,) which by anyone's standards is a great draft hand. Now we have 2, 3, 14 and 19 in the top 20 and could turn it into 2, 3 and 5 or something similar. Most likely 3, 4 and 6 after Walter gets taken.

Like I said its a little embarrassing if we end up getting that draft hand. At least there are no excuses from now on. We might be bottom four next year but should be charging up the ladder in 2025.
I too am more of the opinion the picks would be there to make a play for Sanders(if that's what the AFL wants...), plus there's also some decent KPP talent around those picks.

If I were to believe any AFL conspiracy theories, I'd be more inclined to think they've been given that end of first rounder because there'll be a few KPP options around that pick, as well as North's second.

Realistically, that's what North should be doing and I personally expect them to do just that.

As appealing as Reid would be, trading up for him would cost a significant amount of capital when they've basically now got the draft hand that should set them up to dominate in a few years.

A half forward that North delisted a couple of seasons ago has just kicked 60 in the sanfl this season for Glenelg and ended up leading his team to a flag yesterday with 6 goals in a BOG performance (Lachie Hosie). Yet, North list management decide to continually give contracts to bottom 1% in the league type players like Turner and even promote them to leadership groups 😐.

But the AFL is rewarding them, despite their own failures in list management and recruiting? 🤔

He was leading SANFL goal kicking when we picked him in 2019 too.

Probably says more about the quality of that comp when compared to the AFL than anything else.

and what does that have to do with North? absolutely zero

North's obsession with what GC have got is bizarre, North having an NGA in Tassie is the outlier

It's a team that is mostly competitive getting gifted 3 players in the top 10 whilst we have been completely uncompetitive for 4 years.

What's bizarre is that you think that's bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't imagine St Kilda shamelessly begging in the way North have over the last three* years.

They will do it the right way and the hard way. North would never.

St. Kilda as well as many other clubs like yours didn't have to beg for assistance. You were just given it on a platter because of a defined set of rules. None of your clubs had to plead your case. Carlton milked it for everything they could.

We on the other hand during that period, did not take that option. We competed as best we could week in, week out even though we struggled to make finals or be any real threat. Most of the time we didn't. We were just one of those middle of the road clubs.

Oppostion supporters would often say we should bottom out because we didn't have enough top end talent to realistically challenge in finals but we never did.

Now that we find ourselves in this position after 4 years of being totally uncompetitive for the most part, it is totally shameful that we are forced to have to plead our case under a different set of rules just to get some sort of assistance.

What a joke indeed!

All clubs agreed to end the priority system. Including North.

Talking about the old system is laughable may as well bring up how you went in the zoning system.

Reality is North have been far more successful over the last 10 years in terms of finals than a number of clubs. Including Carlton.

North get a handout because you are essentially an AFL charity case. It's that simple.

Westcoast Eagles wouldn't get special consideration. They have members that turn up.

So you can spin it any way you like. The AFL used it's secret herbs and spices to gift you more charity. You are basically the Goldcoast Suns, but at least they can say they are a new club.

The fact the AFL continues to support the rabble that is North Melbourne is simply another reason why the AFL is a bush league run by potatoes.

Oh look, it's another Carlton supporter lining up! Fancy that!

Seems to be some very short memories amongst your lot.

Hey dont blame us. We just wanted Sanders.

The AFL giving us 3 first rounders and 2 extra rookie spots is bullshit.
Means there is a chance our mob could keep Turner and Howe on the books ffs

******* AFL

Don't want it tbh. Rather the club dig themselves out. I'd personally have far more faith in the club if they can do that.

I'm reading a book about developing good habits at the moment(Atomic Habits) and in the first part there's a very interesting example of the British cycling team being utter useless for 100 years. Got a new coach and he went through the program tooth and nail to make the smallest of changes everywhere. After a couple of years, they went to one of the most successful cycling teams in history, with many of the same riders.

All those tiny changes all culminated in one massive one. Great story and one I hope the powers that be at WCE are aware of and implement into club philosophy.
FWIW, the head doctor for British Cycling was found guilty of purchasing banned drugs. And the many tiny changes included pushing the envelope with other banned substances quite frequently.

So yeah, I also hope the Eagles hierarchy go down that route....

In an era of equalisation, it’s a disgrace that North have been able to make poor decisions and are allowed to be bailed out by the AFL. I’m so sick and tired of clubs who have self inflected their pain and will no doubt see success soon because they have begged for help.

Yet, if you took a poll and asked which club has been the worst over the last 20 years, the overwhelming majority would pick Essendon. Not a single handout given to our club.

What Essendon should have done after the drug scandal is completely gut their list and just be a rabble. Shame on us for trying to make finals at least. Better yet, the club should go to the AFL tomorrow morning and ask for a priority pick.

Really does make the “xxxx amount of days since your last final win hahaha” feel really hollow when it comes from a supporter of one of those clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back