North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That concession was given to Carlton when the mid season draft wasn't in place.

The mid season draft makes that option useless, as the best 15 or so mature age players will have already been pulled out of the draft pool.
You guys have the first pick to the talent in the mid season draft as well. Pick the best player to that point of the season from there, then there’s always a couple of stand out late season bolters that you can pick from at end of year to reward your on field mediocrity.

So footy already dominates the news cycle for 12 months of a year but you want more footy?

A draft lottery doesn't stop tanking and by 25 weeks the number of teams who would have well and truly packed up weeks ago would be a fair chunk of the bottom 10.

The NBA is full of teams who have given up by the 1/2 to 3/4 period of the season, playing those teams late in the year can be a gift to the top sides.

It's also foolish to compare to soccer, basketball and baseball, all far less intensive games that allow for multiple games in a week. The Rugby codes are similar in number of games. Rugby League has stretched their season for some extra cash and it does nothing to improve the product.

I remember the Crows team of about 2012 had a dream run that helped them to 2nd place. Sydney beat them convincingly in a Qualifying final. Hawthorn just held on when they made a late charge in the Prelim. It turns out they finished 3rd after finals and that's exactly where they deserved to finish.

Whatever - the administration of the game is not fair and transparent and does nothing to protect the integrity of the league.

I think North should get a pick and any other equalisation mechanism as having a team function as match practice compromises the ladder when not all teams play them twice.

Thats an assumption.

They also never applied for one.

FWIW we are a whole 10% worse off than Adelaide were after Round 6 last year.

So it is different.
I'm not sure how you can say NM are worse than the 2020 Crows were after 6 games, they lost 13 in a row IIRC. Some of those losses were dreadful as NM are experiencing now. They didn't ask for one, true but they took it apon themselves to turn it around by their own means rather than just expecting a handout. The draft system is there to assist struggling clubs rebuild and to make the competition more even. You could argue perhaps that it could be improved but we'll leave that for another debate. The PP's are just crap and used by clubs to get a free handout. All clubs are professionally run,(or should be), so it's up to the clubs administrators to use the system in place to improve their position. If recruiters and club admins make bad decisions that is on them. Clubs have done it before without PP's. Why should some clubs be the exception.

Isn't this an Oxymoron?

We did exactly as you asked.

We could have bottomed out after 2017, instead, we recruited more experienced players to get more competitive and to push back up the ladder.

It's easy to call it poor list management after the fact, but it's exactly what most on here are now advocating.

Also, it's not as if shredding sh*t senior players has put us in this predicament. We won 1 out of our last 14 games last year with those senior players.
Topping up with spuds at the expense of replenishing your list is the exact opposite of what I asked. You risked the biscuit for a continue shot at contending. That's fine, but now you wear it because those spuds and all your senior players are gone, on their way out, or are terrible and the development time that could have gone into some youth in that period was lost.

I don't care that you tried, if it came off it's totally worth it, I care that you have a whinge because you ended up exactly where was obvious you would (VFL standard now) when your plan didn't work.

I also think many average punters could see you were no chance given the quality of player you got in. So it's hardly retrospective. In any event, it doesn't matter if anyone predicts it or not. You took a risk, you lost. Live with it.

I never said it was your shedding, it was filling it up with those blokes in the first place that's the problem. Swap them for some quality kids and a handful of them would be decent now and you'd be fine. Probably still bottom 6, but at least competitive most weeks with a clear path out.

I don't care that you tried, if it came off it's totally worth it, I care that you have a whinge because you ended up exactly where was obvious you would (VFL standard now) when your plan didn't work.

Either you think the club is complaining about bottoming out (it isn't), or you think that BigFooty posters are managing North's list (they aren't).

Very funny.

Either you think the club is complaining about bottoming out, and it isn't, or you think that BigFooty posters are managing North's list, and they aren't.
The moment your club asks for or accepts an offer of a PP, that's when I have a problem. Up until that point, you are right.

Do you think North will ask for one? I certainly do.

My biggest problem is actually with the AFL giving them one.

The moment your club asks for or accepts an offer of a PP, that's when I have a problem.

Up until that point, you are right.

Do you think North will ask for one? I certainly do.

I hope North asks for 10 of them, plus the funds for an Arden St cafe.

Needs to be said, Brisbane got that PP partly because of the go home 5 (a couple of years back) and the perceived lack of adequate compo they got for them.

Entirely different set of circumstances.

The 2016 Lions season has been forgotten a bit because Essendon won the spoon, but it is one of the worst seasons in recent memory. Conceded an average of 130 points against per game and had an average losing margin of 10 goals. Only 4 first round picks left on the entire list (Daniel Rich, Schache, Sam Mayes and Hipwood), and lost a talented young key defender to retirement due to concussion (Justin Clarke). This was after a season the year prior where they only won 3 games.

2017 was the spoon year but it was miles better than 2016 was, which was honestly comparable to some of those Melbourne teams that were actively trying to tank.

I'm not sure how you can say NM are worse than the 2020 Crows were after 6 games, they lost 13 in a row IIRC. Some of those losses were dreadful as NM are experiencing now. They didn't ask for one, true but they took it apon themselves to turn it around by their own means rather than just expecting a handout. The draft system is there to assist struggling clubs rebuild and to make the competition more even. You could argue perhaps that it could be improved but we'll leave that for another debate. The PP's are just crap and used by clubs to get a free handout. All clubs are professionally run,(or should be), so it's up to the clubs administrators to use the system in place to improve their position. If recruiters and club admins make bad decisions that is on them. Clubs have done it before without PP's. Why should some clubs be the exception.

And North have currently lost 14 in a row.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you for or against PP’s? Tigers would’ve had Deledio under the old system and the current system sans expansion club gifts.

In a world with no assistance they miss out on Tambling. Understand what you’re saying but no logic to it. If PP’s weren’t a thing for Richmond in 2004 why would they be a thing for Hawks/Dogs?

Im against PP, but given we have been shafted in the draft for the best part of 2 decades by half of the other teams in the competition who have received them (we aren’t talking ancient history here either) I’ll be damned if I’ll cop faux “be better” from said supporters of those clubs who have been utter s**t for the best part of the last 2 decades, Richmond included.

I couldn’t care if it’s the old system or the current one. The current system should actually give the AFL flexibility to award them to clubs who have never received them before.

I’d be making the same argument if it was the Crows, Port or Geelong in the same situation.

Im against PP, but given we have been shafted for the best part of 2 decades by half of the other teams in the competition who have received them (we aren’t talking ancient history here either) I’ll be damned if I’ll cop faux “be better” from said supporters of those clubs.

I couldn’t care if it’s the old system or the current one. The current system should actually give the AFL flexibility to award them to clubs who have never received them before.

I’d be making the same argument if it was the Crows, Port or Geelong in the same situation.

You shouldn’t get extra consideration just because you’ve never had one before. There was an old system, that system changed, those precedents don’t apply anymore.

I still think North end up winning 3-4 games this year anyway.

You shouldn’t get extra consideration just because you’ve never had one before. There was an old system, that system changed, those precedents don’t apply anymore.

I still think North end up winning 3-4 games this year anyway.

Yes the system has changed, which thankfully is up to the full discretion of the AFL commission, who I think no doubt will take it into account.

If it was Melbourne or Carlton in the same position, there’d be effectively no chance of one being awarded.

I think Melbourne have to be the benchmark for PP eligibility. From 2012-2014 we won a total of 9 games in 3 seasons (mostly against the fledgling GC and GWS teams) with a percentage rivaling Fitzroy in their latter years, AND in the previous 5 years we had a decidedly putrid record of 28-2-80, AND the drafts in these years were compromised by the expansion team concessions and we didn't qualify for any priority picks. Until North have a comparably dismal record over such a long period of time, there's no conversation to be had. Every team has s**t years and 2021 is North's turn. Deal with it.

I think Melbourne have to be the benchmark for PP eligibility. From 2012-2014 we won a total of 9 games in 3 seasons (mostly against the fledgling GC and GWS teams) with a percentage rivaling Fitzroy in their latter years, AND in the previous 5 years we had a decidedly putrid record of 28-2-80, AND the drafts in these years were compromised by the expansion team concessions and we didn't qualify for any priority picks. Until North have a comparably dismal record over such a long period of time, there's no conversation to be had. Every team has sh*t years and 2021 is North's turn. Deal with it.

Melbourne weren’t awarded them for past deeds.

The tanking fiasco and subsequent penalties meant any chance of ever receiving another one was nailed shut.

Potentially yes but Norths list isnt the worst in the comp.

Collingwoods is.

If North get a PP then Collingwood will get one after 2023 and the cycle will continue.

I hope we dont get one
I’m in The same way of thinking but we don’t win a game or win 1 game then the AFL still not give us one.
I know our supporters are crying out for one but if by some miracle if it did happen and if the priority pick was before the draft then North would be crazy not take Daicos as the priority pick to screw Collingwood and what’s Daicos going to do stand aside and not play for us .
If he did that if was the club I’d tell play for us our be sued.
Then take Horne with 1.
As for Mid season take Edwards pump the iron into him while he still play’s NAB cup and he trains with us then fast track him into next year and if the following miracle happens have The King come down to the club once a week to bring him up to speed of the AFL.

I think Melbourne have to be the benchmark for PP eligibility. From 2012-2014 we won a total of 9 games in 3 seasons (mostly against the fledgling GC and GWS teams) with a percentage rivaling Fitzroy in their latter years, AND in the previous 5 years we had a decidedly putrid record of 28-2-80, AND the drafts in these years were compromised by the expansion team concessions and we didn't qualify for any priority picks. Until North have a comparably dismal record over such a long period of time, there's no conversation to be had. Every team has sh*t years and 2021 is North's turn. Deal with it.
Maybe if our supporters cheer for losses we may get a priority like your supporters did.
BTW:How’s you gun players in Watts ,Scully and Trengrove going get those 3 players back into your side and you will go close to winning the flag in 2021 after been narrowly beaten in Grand Finals by Hawthorn in 1988 and to Essendon in 2000😃

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back