North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The dream rescue package for North get picks 1 and 3, and AFL funding Clarkson to coach them for the next 5 years.

I could live with that (plus I would enjoy the melts from Eagles fans if they finish last and end up with pick 2

The dream rescue package for North get picks 1 and 3, and AFL funding Clarkson to coach them for the next 5 years.

I could live with that (plus I would enjoy the melts from Eagles fans if they finish last and end up with pick 2
I think a fairer scenario if we finish last, and the AFL want to give them an early pick, is that they give North a PP straight after their first pick. For example we get pick 1, North get pick 2 and then pick 3 as a PP.

I think a fairer scenario if we finish last, and the AFL want to give them an early pick, is that they give North a PP straight after their first pick. For example we get pick 1, North get pick 2 and then pick 3 as a PP.

That works too, unfortunately many neutrals will still have a meltdown about it.

Pick 11 (after the top 10) is probably the most likely and fairest outcome though

I agree with pick 11*. Feels like a concession without being given the farm, puts us in the frame for one of the key talls so can go best available at the first pick. Maybe the same for 2023 like GC got and keep it a tradeable asset.

*if we are to get one.

6b4wlb.jpg
Priority pics back in the menu for North Melbourne? Maybe.

North Melbournes is bad, but not as bad as everyone thinks.

North are stubborn and have pride. They would rather rebuild the old fashion way with recruiting some talented kid's and get a couple of stop gap players to hang around for 2-4 years

Need to get rid of the priority pick all together, you're simply being rewarded for being a badly run football club on and off the field.
Well teams rise and teams fall.

Freo went 0-10 , ended up 4-18 and were crippled with injury after making finals from 2012-15.

Under the old system of around 2003-06, Freo would of got an early 2nd round priority pick.

So what did Freo do in that 2016 trade and draft period? They had no 2nd rounder. They could of gone the draft and got 6-7 kids.

They traded in 2-4 experience players from other clubs and draft 4 or 5 kids in the national draft.

Priority pics back in the menu for North Melbourne? Maybe.

North Melbournes is bad, but not as bad as everyone thinks.

North are stubborn and have pride. They would rather rebuild the old fashion way with recruiting some talented kid's and get a couple of stop gap players to hang around for 2-4 years

I'd rather 10 first round draft picks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with pick 11*. Feels like a concession without being given the farm, puts us in the frame for one of the key talls so can go best available at the first pick. Maybe the same for 2023 like GC got and keep it a tradeable asset.

*if we are to get one.
What a load of rubbish. Such an embarrassment of a club.

You don’t need more young talent. You need better experience. At most it should be access to 1 or 2 state league players only.

Why does the AFL need to change the rules to basically rescue a club who have shown they are incompetent both on and off the field?

If they are incapable of getting themselves out of a self-inflicted mess, maybe it’s time the AFL took them over and made a decision on their future.

Last edited:
What happens when they beat Essendon and leap frog them, do they still get a PP? You can't reward mediocrity with a freebie, it's like me under performing at work but getting a bonus as an encouragement to do better.

Noble is Neeld mk 2.

It was a baffling decision. He clearly was on the CEO path and had made it clear that was his passion. If he stayed at Brisbane he would have been odds on to take over from Greg Swann who is probably going to retire after the Lions move into their new facility later this year.

Then he gets seduced into coaching which is not only doing a job he wasn’t 100 percent invested in, but also at an organisation which had taken a stick of dynamite to the list and set itself for the mother of all rebuilds. Then their administrators immediately started talking about the expectation of finals in 2-3 years. Alarm bells immediately ringing.

Nobes… what have you done to yourself? Massive own goal.

What happens when they beat Essendon and leap frog them, do they still get a PP? You can't reward mediocrity with a freebie, it's like me under performing at work but getting a bonus as an encouragement to do better.
Exactly.
I’m not sure we can win another game this year. North and West Coast might leap frog us

What a load of rubbish. Such an embarrassment of a club.

You don’t need more young talent. You need better experience. At most it should be access to 1 or 2 state league players only.

Why does the AFL need to change the rules to basically rescue a club who have shown they are incompetent both on and off the field?

If they are incapable of getting themselves out of a self-inflicted mess, maybe it’s time the AFL took them over and made a decision on their future.

I’m basing it on the most recent example of a priority pick given which was the back end of the GC bail out (although I’ll admit I might be mixing their frozen pick 11 for two years and getting the end of first round). They ended up with so many picks they were packaging them up with young talent. Either way their draft process seems to be paying off.

The shock and awe though of the potential of assistance amuses me though, it’s been happening for decades. Not that it’s a debate I see as worthwhile, it’s only hypothetical. It’ll happen or it won’t regardless of this thread.

I agree though there is glaring deficiencies with maturity, there was a run of drafts under Scott that got wiped out which left us with a hole in that 25-28yo area. I don’t think it’s as simple to say “take 2-3 state players” though, it’s a market diluted by the MSD and it’s a bit “robbing Peter to pay Paul” if you don’t get list/cap concessions in the deal. Pre-covid list sizes maybe but if you have to do your normal drafting and then find room for some second stringers you just end up moving on development players prematurely or mature agers that offer the same thing you’d get from these state players. It’s in the wheelhouse though, interesting to see how some of the MSD rejects go in the back end.

It was a baffling decision. He clearly was on the CEO path and had made it clear that was his passion. If he stayed at Brisbane he would have been odds on to take over from Greg Swann who is probably going to retire after the Lions move into their new facility later this year.

Then he gets seduced into coaching which is not only doing a job he wasn’t 100 percent invested in, but also at an organisation which had taken a stick of dynamite to the list and set itself for the mother of all rebuilds. Then their administrators immediately started talking about the expectation of finals in 2-3 years. Alarm bells immediately ringing.

Nobes… what have you done to yourself? Massive own goal.

The worst thing is that talk of finals I think was happening when we put Shaw in.

They definitely reiterated it when Noble took over too.

Just searched it up, it’s worse than I thought. They didn’t just say “finals”, they said “flag contender”. Eep.

The good old double down. I didn't mind it then because you can only be wrong and you've got to feed the fans something but I don't think anybody anticipated it would be really really wrong. A huge hole.

Essendon will still beat us by 5 goals minimum.

But yeah I don't like PPs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back