North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it’s very unlikely that we win another game and it would be 1 max if we did. If we don’t win another game that percentage will drop down even more to record levels.

I think most would agree a 3 year stretch is the right amount of time to assess a team on if they deserve a priority pick or not. 4 years is getting a bit too far back and 2 years isn’t enough. The old system used 3 years to determine priority picks and I think most would agree that is about right.

If North don’t win another game for the year, it will be the worst 3 year period since the draft was introduced over 30 years ago. Whether people think a priority pick will make a difference or not is irrelevant. If North don’t qualify by winning a record low 8 games over 3 years, then it may as well be scrapped because no one will ever qualify to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Priority picks should not exist. The fact that we won't win a game before 2024 does not change that.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Im thinking its about a 98% chance the afl wont be giving a pp in the top end of the draft and if north do get 1 it will most likely be end of 1st round

So what good will it do to get another pick at 19 ? another 18 year old kid ?
And with the clowns running the list management recruiting dept at arden st they will most likely pick another speculative kid that will be delisted in 3-4 years time.

the problems at north are deeper than getting another kid
Coaching , development , list management & recruiting

* Gold Coast getting the bag of goodies is a special case that the AFL must make a success after 11 years to not even make finals

Good luck to north as they need it badly the place is a bigger mess than most think

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Newflash.
Their list management dept had top 3 men leave already...
Exactly

The fact that these 3 men 'LEFT' and were not sacked leaves questions to yet be answered
the recruiting drafting and list management has been terrible and been allowed to continue until these blokes decided to leave
so who is there to over see the upcoming draft ? Rawlings

Having a look at their last 6-7 years of drafting is shocking

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Exactly

The fact that these 3 men 'LEFT' and were not sacked leaves questions to yet be answered
the recruiting drafting and list management has been terrible and been allowed to continue until these blokes decided to leave
It has not been perfect but most list managements are that way.
There nothing particularly horrible about the youth they drafted in recent drafts but they have neglected the key defence too much for bias towards midfielders. Would not take too much to course correct. Backline is area they really need to draft more young talent next. They needed to draft a Sam Taylor, Harris Andrews or Weitering type to partner Ben McKay down there. Also need some other quality defenders. I think for midfield and forward line they almost have enough youth to work with for long term. It is far from terrible. LDU, Sympkin, Horne-Francis, Phillips, Powell, Tarry Thomas and others can be a wonderful midfield, wing and high half forward types. Larkey and Zurhaar are good marking targets.
It takes 3 to 5 drafts to have enough talent. The next draft or two to work on backline , ruck depth and probably another key forward just in case Jacob Edwards does not come on.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Priority picks should not exist. The fact that we won't win a game before 2024 does not change that.

Priority picks do exist and your opinion that they shouldn’t is irrelevant. We are the worst performing side in 30 years, so under the current system we are eligible for compensation.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Exactly. That why I pointed it out.
Before draft and salary cap bottoms teams could be down much longer times.
Now it may only be for half a decade, not four times as long.....

But they still had a priority pick system introduced to fast track teams even more. Whilst that still exists, I don’t see how North are not eligible for a priority pick. The argument for whether or not a priority pick should exist is a whole different argument and should (if it doesn’t already) have its own thread. Right now a priority pick allowance does exist and North are the worst performing team since the priority system was introduced.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Right now a priority pick allowance does exist and North are the worst performing team since the priority system was introduced.
I do not think they are. Seen plenty of worse sides that had less young talent on their list than North.
North are just hitting that awkward stage like we did late last decade where it sometimes gets worse before it gets better for the fact the only way for the youth to get collective experience is to play many of them together. In two years time many of these young types will hit their fourth and fifth seasons in system and make real impact for bigger periods of matches and also have more cohesion together. What I less convinced about is the coaching of the team right now.

Has similar feel to me like I felt under Teague in recent years where thought he a nice guy trying his best but he not real head coach material and assistance leave a lot to be desired around him.
I think Noble should have stuck to list management or football department admin area of AFL industry.

I really hoping for North sake, somehow Simmo leaves Perth comes back here and takes up the task to coach North.

Also getting back to priority picks. That fast track idea was removed. It not meant to fast track. They only priority pick was special assistance package for Suns and it was more about a start up club recently way off track and given a leg up.
Clubs like Carlton and North that been around for well over a century are not meant to get them simply because we have a period of struggling for results due to build through youth. The previous incarnation of priority picks have died out with the idea of less than 25% wins each season. Eagles with Darling and Tigers with Rance maybe the end of that type of priority pick. Sure hope it is, otherwise AFL have changed tact again, unfairly.

Last edited:
May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Priority picks do exist and your opinion that they shouldn’t is irrelevant. We are the worst performing side in 30 years, so under the current system we are eligible for compensation.

As bad as North Melbourne is, North isn't the worst side in 30 years. North isn't even the worst side in 10 years. Melbourne under Mark Neeld in 2012-3 was worse than Norths current team.

North Melbourne will turn it around

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
In 2018 Carlton were given access to 2 mature age second tier players. In 2018 there was no MSD or supplement list spots to be filled, which allowed 12 months for a mature age player to stamp their mark and get picked up. Under the previous system, 12 months was a decent amount of time for a 2nd tier player to come on and add value to a list. With the MSD and supplement list spots filled prior to the season, it really makes the same access now compared to 2018 pointless.

We just had the MSD draft, what mature age player is going to come out of nowhere between now and the end of year draft?

While I think that Norths problems can’t be solved through draft assistance alone, guys like Newcombe last year and d’ambrosio this year would slot straight into their best 22.

The problem with North is that these guys were there for the taking and they didn’t pick them.

Would much rather them have extra $$$ in putting into their football dept soft cap to help them identify and develop talent. Having an assistant coach being paid by putting them on the playing list means someone is torching their soft cap spend.

I wonder what North fans think of this.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
I think North deserve a PP.

But even if I didn't, all of these "Oh they buggered up their list so it's all their own fault and they shouldn't get one!" comments are a bit rich. Pretty much EVERYONE who got a priority pick had dug their own hole in some way, either by

a) Deliberately tanking (Melbourne and Carlton in the late 2000s)
b) Being busted cheating and still suffering from the penalties (Carlton mid 2000s)
c) A recent history of poor trading/drafting/development (Richmond through the late 90s and 2000s, Gold Coast in the 2010s)
d) Misjudging their own list (Hawthorn were talking about challenging for the flag in 2004 before cratering and going into an enforced rebuild)

If the idea of "they ducked themselves up, they have to dig themselves out" applied, literally almost none of the previous priority winners should have received one.

So why is North suddenly so different?

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
While I think that Norths problems can’t be solved through draft assistance alone, guys like Newcombe last year and d’ambrosio this year would slot straight into their best 22.

The problem with North is that these guys were there for the taking and they didn’t pick them.

Would much rather them have extra $$$ in putting into their football dept soft cap to help them identify and develop talent. Having an assistant coach being paid by putting them on the playing list means someone is torching their soft cap spend.

Last year we took Edwards who was widely regarded the best prospect in the draft and potentially good enough to go top 20 in the ND, I don't think we could skip that one. Maybe if we had pick 2 and passed on Newcombe there'd be trouble, and I almost guarantee we would have. Too soon to call this year, D'Ambrosio hasn't played yet and IMO with our need for key talls I think we had to go a KPD first and foremost. I know the North board were particularly keen on Massimo but we've had four weeks recently (with McKay out) where we've had to name Jackson Archer as an emergency just in case Josh Walker or Aidan Corr get injured - when you read those three names it's pretty dire down back. And while it's not the best names if we can have McKay/Dawson/Corr in defence and Walker giving some forward relief for Larkey then it gives some form of structure for the back end of the season.

As for our soft cap spend I can't pretend to be privy but it probably doesn't help paying out coaching staff on a yearly basis. It's the only conclusion I can come up with in that regard because short of Blakey you have to wonder who is getting the big bucks.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think North deserve a PP.

But even if I didn't, all of these "Oh they buggered up their list so it's all their own fault and they shouldn't get one!" comments are a bit rich. Pretty much EVERYONE who got a priority pick had dug their own hole in some way, either by

a) Deliberately tanking (Melbourne and Carlton in the late 2000s)
b) Being busted cheating and still suffering from the penalties (Carlton mid 2000s)
c) A recent history of poor trading/drafting/development (Richmond through the late 90s and 2000s, Gold Coast in the 2010s)
d) Misjudging their own list (Hawthorn were talking about challenging for the flag in 2004 before cratering and going into an enforced rebuild)

If the idea of "they ducked themselves up, they have to dig themselves out" applied, literally almost none of the previous priority winners should have received one.

So why is North suddenly so different?

We aren't, but opposition supporters are just greedy and understand that top draft picks are the most valuable commodity.

Hence the "they don't deserve one, give them 2 state league players instead" despite that basically being rendered void by the MSD.

This thread BINGO should be:

• They don't deserve it, they brought it on themselves
  • They aren't even the worst team in the comp
  • Next year they will have a case...
  • Carlton got denied a PP after recieving a bag full of them after they cheated, so North shouldn't get one, just because...
  • State League players...
  • Mature Agers..
  • More young talent isnt going to do anything for them...

Last edited:

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
We aren't, but opposition supporters are just greedy and understand that top draft picks are the most valuable commodity.

Hence the "they don't deserve one, give them 2 state league players instead" despite that basically being rendered void by the MSD.

This thread BINGO should be:

• They don't deserve it, they brought it on themselves
  • They aren't even the worst team in the comp
  • Next year they will have a case...
  • Carlton got denied a PP after recieving a bag full of them after they cheated, so North shouldn't get one, just because...
  • State League players...
  • Mature Agers..
  • More young talent isnt going to do anything for them...

Not saying North shouldn’t get something (I think likely is end of first round or maybe mid first round at most), but to claim we were knocked back for a priority pick because we had priority picks before us bizarre.

It wasn’t like some deal was made in 2010 to just give everyone a priority pick who hadn’t had one previously.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not saying North shouldn’t get something (I think likely is end of first round or maybe mid first round at most), but to claim we were knocked back for a priority pick because we had priority picks before us bizarre.

It wasn’t like some deal was made in 2010 to just give everyone a priority pick who hadn’t had one previously.

You were knocked back because you tanked your asses off, along with Melbourne and Richmond to an extent.

Or have you forgotten the Kruezer Cup?

It formed most of the reason you didn't get one a few years ago.

Further to this point, before the era's of draft and salary cap, Melbourne did not make finals from 1965 until 1987
Five or six years without finals is nothing in comparison.
That was due to a curse though

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
You were knocked back because you tanked your asses off, along with Melbourne and Richmond to an extent.

Or have you forgotten the Kruezer Cup?

It formed most of the reason you didn't get one a few years ago.

Err no, nothing to do with it. Maybe in your mind.

You seem to think North deserve one cos they missed out when they were a real thing?

Of course tanking existed when there were priority picks, which is why they got rid of them.

However they aren’t just handing them out now to clubs who didn’t get one before 2010 just to be nice.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
It’s as if blues fans have forgotten about their garbage past and priority picks given to them

Of all clubs fans please pipe down in this thread

You are arguing something completely irrelevant.

May as well complain about Hawthorn and Collingwood getting priority picks. Or Sydney and brisbane in the 90s.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As bad as North Melbourne is, North isn't the worst side in 30 years. North isn't even the worst side in 10 years. Melbourne under Mark Neeld in 2012-3 was worse than Norths current team.

North Melbourne will turn it around

Our win/loss ratio and percentage seems to suggest otherwise.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

It’s probably worth noting that Newcombe put a price on his head last year. He was in Hawthorn’s backyard as well, which helped them identify him early. I don’t think many predicted Newcombe would have the impact he is having this year. We opted for a young talent who would have gone first round in the ND. It’s pretty easy in hindsight and it really hasn’t played out yet with Edwards under developed. I think every club, apart from maybe Hawthorn would have picked Edwards with the first pick.

This year it is far too early to make assumptions on who got it right or wrong. We picked a key defender in Dawson who was a desperate need. I think he will play against Adelaide after the bye.

Maybe the soft cap allowance is the right call in the end. I don’t think identifying talent has been a major issue, it has more been from a development side of things. It has been an issue for 20 odd years to be honest.

Nutjob

Premiership Player
Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Relegation - you know it's the right option!

Everyone had to put up with Carlton being a basket case for 20 years winning multiple spoons, cheating the salary, tanking and gathering up a number of priority picks. They didn’t get relegated, so North probably deserve a few years to turn it around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back