North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both were rated as good prospects during the year they were drafted. Early second rounders they were predicted to go and that’s where they went. Everyone knew they both had something and clubs traded picks around just to get them.
Exactly. Given I was responding to the below originally, it hardly helps to give PSD and MSD picks when these guys went in the ND. And they already have pick #1 in the MSD.

Clubs that struggle at the bottom of the ladder normally do so because they have a lack of experienced players on their list.

I have no issue giving clubs extra picks in the mid-year and pre-season drafts allowing them to bring in players with experience.

North are actually financially stable. It's St Kilda who are a rabble when it comes to money
I think priority picks are ok, but should be end of second round ( essentially north would get 1,19,37,38 as it's first 4 picks).
37 is the priority pick, not massively valuable on its own but some help, not worth tanking for

Last edited:
When you totally gut a list with so many delistings and end up uncompetitive and finish last you dont get a PP
Freo / Hawks / bombers could all have taken that route but have chosen to try to rebuild with smart trading and drafting
We didn't gut our list tho. WE got rid of players who didn't belong on it. Higgo is the only player to play senior's so far and tomorrow Ben Brown might get a game, or do his knee 10 minutes in. (BTW He turned down a substantial contract, more than he is on now, a year ago.)

They all are but you cannot make those poor decisions and then less than 12 months later put your hand out for a priority pick. Now if as a result of cutting too deep and mismanaging their list they are in the same position in another year or two then you can ask for assistance.

Otherwise it clubs an incentive to mismanage their lists out their hand out for a priority pick, get the best two kids in the draft all within 12 months.
They weren't poor decisions. Maj is the only player we should have kept, simply for a back up tall. Even that is arguable.

We got rid of a bunch of players and then brought in nearly as many. Every one of the players we brought in (even Connor menedue) improved our list.

This is the last time I’m engaging with you because so far your argument has been teams did it under the old system so we should be able to under the new system. By that logic certain teams exploited the salary cap and won flags so everyone should be able to.

It’s the everyone else was doing it so why can’t I argument.

North did finish 17th last year but they had injuries and reasons for that. They then decided to cut their list massively and let Higgins go and forced brown out. When making that list management decision they would have been fully aware that it would make them significantly worse.

Now 12 months after that decision they want a priority pick? That makes the system exploitable. Now people say 12 months because it’s when your club made the list management decisions that have put them in their current position.

If they had not made the decision to cut so deeply and remove any depth/extra mature bodies to help your kids develop, I would not have an issue with you getting a priority pick but cutting your list to the point where the club knew you’d be lucky to win a game, the club cannot then ask for help after a single season in my opinion
Brown turned down a contract worth millions over three years.

Way to premature to discuss North going through a winless season .

You can forget about pick 2. Not going to happen.

Not sure if North has recruited well respected coaches or recruiters either lately for that matter
John Blakey has a bit of coaching cred. Noble is associated with improving lists.

They weren't poor decisions. Maj is the only player we should have kept, simply for a back up tall. Even that is arguable.

We got rid of a bunch of players and then brought in nearly as many. Every one of the players we brought in (even Connor menedue) improved our list.

If that is the case (and I will take your word for it) than surely something is amiss with your new coach. Although I tend to think it will probably play our to similar to Matty Nicks. You won't get your first win till round 11 or 12, but after that, North will jag a few more wins after that.

I

If that is the case (and I will take your word for it) than surely something is amiss with your new coach. Although I tend to think it will probably play our to similar to Matty Nicks. You won't get your first win till round 11 or 12, but after that, North will jag a few more wins after that.

I
I'm prepared to give the coach a bit more time.

The way we played footy last year devolved into garbage. At least he is trying to change that. Our strategic structure, for lack of a better term, was crap. Long kicking, slow, down the line footy.

Alot of the improvement in our list is younger players lacking match fitness. Take for example two Pies players we've picked up a few years apart. Marley Williams and Atu Bosenavulagi. Marley was a good lock down defender with pace and attitude. But his kicking was very inconsistent and he squibbed a few crucial contests over a couple of seasons. So far Atu has pace, can play a lock down role and is a much better kick. Hasn't squibbed anything in the few games I've seen either. FWIW Marley would have been in the last few players I'd have delisted last season but now I'm glad we did. To my mind that is an improvement. Then there is this example - Jasper Pittard played well in 2019 but last year his promotion to the leadership group went to his head and he actually failed to give us the leadership we needed when we were struggling. Aiden Corr seems like a much better pick up. (Before he missed half the season with tinea or something.)

Our forward structure and transition to the forward line is where things are falling apart. We are often matching better teams on f50 entries, sometimes beating them. But we don't have the necessary structure to make that work. And Logan McDonald (the fourth best tall in last years draft,) probably wouldn't have helped. Will phillips has outscored him over recent weeks. A fit Xerri would have helped there tho.

As far as wins go... we have definitely improved over the games we have played. Players are trying to stick to the new "game plan" (stupid term imo) and its providing us with with something to build around. i can see us winning at least a couple late in the year and am hoping that we are much more competitive over the last third of the season.

If we aren't maybe a PP is in order but ... ok if we got pick 2 off the AFL i'd be rapt and even the GC's PP would be a massive help but our biggest issue has been injuries ... I dunno if we really need or deserve one at this point. SInce 2016 injuries have cost us dearly and I wouldn't be surprised if we had the worst record for injuries over the last 5 years. A bit of AFL support on that front would be better for us than a PP. It could be s**t luck but i suspect there is more going on. Last year we played Cunners and JZ when we shouldn't and put Curtis taylor and Tarryn Thomas back on the field only to lose them for the season or most of it after the game.

Soft Cap support and maybe some more cash to splash on better Strength & Conditioning staff would do us more good than another PP right now.

I don't subscribe to the argument that North shouldn't get a pick based on delisting 12 senior players. Nearly all of those players aren't fit to be on an afl list let alone be in any clubs 22. They have a very average senior group that will continually lose for the next 2 seasons if nothing is done.

At the end of the day we need all teams to at least be competitive. At the moment they are unwatchable.

I'd like it to be 2 end of first round picks, that either have to be traded for players (once traded can be used as a normal pick) or if it is not traded it needs to be used to pick up players over 21 years old to facilitate immediate impact. Not game changing as technically every team would have access to their first choice before the roos get their second and third picks, but it would at least give them a chance moving forward.

Handing out a priority pick and it be an 18 year old does nothing for them being competitive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No PPs for any club under any circumstance. GC and GWS are old enough to stand on their own two feet.
No excuses for older clubs. You reap what you sow.

Pretty sure at least 2 out of the top 5 best Suns players against the Pies were from Priority and or FA Compo draft pick selections (Lukosius and King).

I'm not sure how you can say NM are worse than the 2020 Crows were after 6 games, they lost 13 in a row IIRC. Some of those losses were dreadful as NM are experiencing now. They didn't ask for one, true but they took it apon themselves to turn it around by their own means rather than just expecting a handout. The draft system is there to assist struggling clubs rebuild and to make the competition more even. You could argue perhaps that it could be improved but we'll leave that for another debate. The PP's are just crap and used by clubs to get a free handout. All clubs are professionally run,(or should be), so it's up to the clubs administrators to use the system in place to improve their position. If recruiters and club admins make bad decisions that is on them. Clubs have done it before without PP's. Why should some clubs be the exception.

Again...that 2020 crows team should of never went 0-13, let alone 0-10.

the crows shouldnt of posted a 3-14 record. Crows should of got 6 wins and 11 losses instead. That means they would of finished above North. Then above the swans and hawks that got 5 wins each and Gold coast that got 5 wins and a draw. Instead of pick 1 or pick 2 for Riley Tilthorpe, Crows would of ended up with pick 5 instead.

Freo ended up 0-10 in 2016 and posted a 4-18 win loss record and got pick 3. Freo didnt ask for a priority pick in 2016, they traded pick 3 for a few picks.

Seems like the culling was overdue. Sure North got rid of 11 players last season. Getting rid of 11 players in 1 season is a bit extreme. If it was 7-9 players in one season then it wouldnt of been as bad. You still got in with 5-7 picks in the draft.

Saying that I dont think North need a Priority pick. They need to somehow trade in 2nd and 3rd rounders. If it means possibly downgrading their 1st rounder, then it might be worth the risk.

No point, they will just squander it like they have all their other top end picks. Will Phillips over McDonald...boy oh boy.

lol.
I guarantee had we taken McDonald you’d be calling him a bust too.

Thilthorpe or Cox for mine. McDonald is a fraud.

The fact that there is no transparency on a set formula for when a priority pick is granted but instead a murky "discretionary" hotpotch is classic AFL
To be fair, they did have transparency ("club wins less than X games over a set period of time"), and said clubs exploited it by tanking. Any other set criteria would just open up this issue again.

I guess in theory you could have something like "less than X games and AFL determination that club was not tanking", but this is still highly subjective, so wouldn't solve the 'murky and discretionary' problem.

Seems like the culling was overdue. Sure North got rid of 11 players last season. Getting rid of 11 players in 1 season is a bit extreme. If it was 7-9 players in one season then it wouldnt of been as bad. You still got in with 5-7 picks in the draft.

Saying that I dont think North need a Priority pick. They need to somehow trade in 2nd and 3rd rounders. If it means possibly downgrading their 1st rounder, then it might be worth the risk.
A few clubs had double figure delistings last year. We ended up getting rid of 13 or 14 players. But we got rid of at least 10 in 2016 and a similar number (10 or 11) in 2018. I think we've gone thru over 50 players since we delisted Boomer Harvey, Spud and the rest. Which illustrates what a s**t show our recruiting under Brad Scott was. Cam Joyce ... now in charge of development in tassie i think. LOL - the AFL must hate Tassie.

We brought in at least 10 players tho and all seem like better value than the guys we dumped. With one or two possible exceptions.

lol.
I guarantee had we taken McDonald you’d be calling him a bust too.

Thilthorpe or Cox for mine. McDonald is a fraud.
Will Phillips has outscored Logan McDonald in the AFL over the last three or four rounds hasn't he?

Will Phillips has outscored Logan McDonald in the AFL over the last three or four rounds hasn't he?

Probably, the moment the dew hit in Sydney, McDonald has been and will be (like literally every forward on that ground in history, bar Carey, Lockett and Buddy) utterly useless.

He’ll be a good forward in day games for the Swans, but wouldn’t be getting a kick in our forward line.

yep, we don’t want to reward teams who delist all their senior players and make themselves uncompetitive.

Yeah all those super stars netted us 3 x first round picks, oh wait combined their value was deemed as half a twisty.

That said id rather the PP be done away with. With the MSD and PSD theres plenty of oportunities to rebuild a list.

A few clubs had double figure delistings last year. We ended up getting rid of 13 or 14 players. But we got rid of at least 10 in 2016 and a similar number (10 or 11) in 2018. I think we've gone thru over 50 players since we delisted Boomer Harvey, Spud and the rest. Which illustrates what a sh*t show our recruiting under Brad Scott was. Cam Joyce ... now in charge of development in tassie i think. LOL - the AFL must hate Tassie.

We brought in at least 10 players tho and all seem like better value than the guys we dumped. With one or two possible exceptions.
Well since Brent Boomer harvey was gone at the end of 2016, you are basically telling me North has turned over 50 players since Harvey retired. Thats on average 10 players turned over each year on average for the last 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back