North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well since Brent Boomer harvey was gone at the end of 2016, you are basically telling me North has turned over 50 players since Harvey retired. Thats on average 10 players turned over each year on average for the last 5 years.
10 in 2016, 8 in 2017, 12 in 2018, 7 in 2019 and 14 in 2020. That includes cat a & b rookies. 51 players in 5 years.

North are likely to have a kid (Tom Powell) who should finish in the top 3 in the Rising Star Award.

Phillips will be a 250 plus player too.

Have a very winnable game this week too.

There are some real positive signs at North.

How much longer is Polec contracted to ? The sooner North can get him and his hefty contract off their books the better.

They also have a chance to pick up a gun ready made mature age recruit in the Mid Season Draft.

North are likely to have a kid (Tom Powell) who should finish in the top 3 in the Rising Star Award.

Phillips will be a 250 plus player too.

Have a very winnable game this week too.

There are some real positive signs at North.

How much longer is Polec contracted to ? The sooner North can get him and his hefty contract off their books the better.

They also have a chance to pick up a gun ready made mature age recruit in the Mid Season Draft.

I'm far more concerned with getting the conditioning/fitness staff in order and would offload a 2nd round pick if it meant it was fixed (I know it doesn't work that way). If that happens and we add Horne = ftw.

Think Polec is end 2023 but the contract is front-loaded. So a buyer might be more attracted.

Lol it must be such a sad state of affairs to be a club that actually wants to have a priority pick. Basically an admission that your club is in shambles and needs aid - rather than being a stable, successful one that can clean up their own mess.

Same story, different Bottom 2 club. At what stage does the AFL industry go 'hey, if you can't manage your club well, you're on your own'?

Such a joke.
“Such a joke” that my hard earned taxes have gone towards that hole of a stadium in Geelong. Just sayin.

If we win less than 3 games again this year we should get one
No soup for you.

Besides, you guys have a war chest.

Land another big fish like Aidan Corr and you'll be fine.

Maybe Snake_Baker can fire up the photoshop again. Hopefully he's recovered from his Gaff meltdown.

Last edited:
I'm prepared to give the coach a bit more time.

The way we played footy last year devolved into garbage. At least he is trying to change that. Our strategic structure, for lack of a better term, was crap. Long kicking, slow, down the line footy.

Alot of the improvement in our list is younger players lacking match fitness. Take for example two Pies players we've picked up a few years apart. Marley Williams and Atu Bosenavulagi. Marley was a good lock down defender with pace and attitude. But his kicking was very inconsistent and he squibbed a few crucial contests over a couple of seasons. So far Atu has pace, can play a lock down role and is a much better kick. Hasn't squibbed anything in the few games I've seen either. FWIW Marley would have been in the last few players I'd have delisted last season but now I'm glad we did. To my mind that is an improvement. Then there is this example - Jasper Pittard played well in 2019 but last year his promotion to the leadership group went to his head and he actually failed to give us the leadership we needed when we were struggling. Aiden Corr seems like a much better pick up. (Before he missed half the season with tinea or something.)

Our forward structure and transition to the forward line is where things are falling apart. We are often matching better teams on f50 entries, sometimes beating them. But we don't have the necessary structure to make that work. And Logan McDonald (the fourth best tall in last years draft,) probably wouldn't have helped. Will phillips has outscored him over recent weeks. A fit Xerri would have helped there tho.

As far as wins go... we have definitely improved over the games we have played. Players are trying to stick to the new "game plan" (stupid term imo) and its providing us with with something to build around. i can see us winning at least a couple late in the year and am hoping that we are much more competitive over the last third of the season.

If we aren't maybe a PP is in order but ... ok if we got pick 2 off the AFL i'd be rapt and even the GC's PP would be a massive help but our biggest issue has been injuries ... I dunno if we really need or deserve one at this point. SInce 2016 injuries have cost us dearly and I wouldn't be surprised if we had the worst record for injuries over the last 5 years. A bit of AFL support on that front would be better for us than a PP. It could be sh*t luck but i suspect there is more going on. Last year we played Cunners and JZ when we shouldn't and put Curtis taylor and Tarryn Thomas back on the field only to lose them for the season or most of it after the game.

Soft Cap support and maybe some more cash to splash on better Strength & Conditioning staff would do us more good than another PP right now.
I saw the North v Dees game at Blundstone yesterday and I have to say, I was surprised at how decent North is. There is no doubt you ran out of legs in the last quarter, but that can be addressed in the next off-season with the right fitness staff. You're missing some key position players, but only a few and you'll be pushing up the ladder in no time. I don't think it's a dire situation for North at all. Just have to address the deficiencies with some sensible recruiting and staff changes and you'll be in business. The Dees certainly had their hands full with North for 2/3 of that match. I was more than a little concerned we were going to get rolled.

Let’s face it, it has a lot to do with Brad Scott’s final years topping up with lots of mature age hasbeens thinking he had a crack at the flag which was selfish at best. He was more worried about saving his job by finishing in finals but by doing so completely ruined the list management.

Now that Brad is working inside the AFL, I wouldn’t be surprise if Kangas got a priority. The list is in shambles but it was self inflected. I do feel sorry for them but do we reward complacency in list management. I’d say wait for another year of sh*t.

Well done Brad you spud! Ruined a clubs contingency plan.
Every clubs list that's been a shambles is self inflicted....

On Pixel 3a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brad Scott was a good coach who got North into a Preliminary Final.

And history could say that he didn't leave the club's list in good nick, but I cannot really fault him and North trying to have a red hot crack at a flag with limited resources (compared to other clubs)

Think the one thing that marred his time as North coach was the haphazard way he handled Brent Harvey's 'retirement'

Sacking a club champion and fan favourite in Boomer was something he should have handled better.

And history could say that he didn't leave the club's list in good nick, but I cannot really fault him and North trying to have a red hot crack at a flag with limited resources (compared to other clubs)

Think the one thing that marred his time as North coach was the haphazard way he handled Brent Harvey's 'retirement'

Sacking a club champion and fan favourite in Boomer was something he should have handled better.
He reportedly told North they needed to rebuild and they didn't want to hear it so he left.

Make that two preliminary finals, in a row. Four finals wins, across two years. Followed by a 9-0 start (10-1), in 2016.

There's no easy way to call time, on a 38 year old, 432 gamer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He reportedly told North they needed to rebuild and they didn't want to hear it so he left.
That's quite an interpretation of the events. He presented multiple options to the board, they chose one, he and the list management team ballsed it all up and then a few years later he faces the board and says he needs a rebuild. He had 10 years in the job and was told thanks for you're service but we're done with you. A decade ffs, that's more than most coaches can hope to get.

Fact of the matter is that he did some good work early in his tenure but his last few years at the club when he had almost complete control of the football department (thanks to his toadie Cameron Joyce getting the GM of football job) he went on to run the place into the ground while alienating and ignoring the younger players joining the club. Didn't let our woes or his bad back affect his golf game though.

That's quite an interpretation of the events. He presented multiple options to the board, they chose one, he and the list management team ballsed it all up and then a few years later he faces the board and says he needs a rebuild.
Was he wrong?

He had 10 years in the job and was told thanks for you're service but we're done with you. A decade ffs, that's more than most coaches can hope to get.
And you played finals four times in a five-year period, including two consecutive PFs.

How long do you reckon it'll be before you do that again?

Fact of the matter is that he did some good work early in his tenure but his last few years at the club when he had almost complete control of the football department (thanks to his toadie Cameron Joyce getting the GM of football job) he went on to run the place into the ground while alienating and ignoring the younger players joining the club. Didn't let our woes or his bad back affect his golf game though.
He got the most out of the list and then told you a rebuild would be required. And he was right.

Which part of that is inaccurate?

Was he wrong?

And you played finals four times in a five-year period, including two consecutive PFs.

How long do you reckon it'll be before you do that again?

He got the most out of the list and then told you a rebuild would be required. And he was right.

Which part of that is inaccurate?
He had a clean start to build a list to compete for a premiership when he joined the club. Didn't manage it.
Was given a second chance after 2016 with a direction he said he could manage and failed even worse while having more resources, more experience, and more support than when he first arrived at the club.

It would be madness to give him a third chance. He was absolutely right we needed a rebuild, and he would know considering he was a large part of the reason we needed it. And he didn't leave of his own volition, he was shown the door, paid handsomely for his time, and none of the other clubs that sacked a coach that year picked him up which probably says a lot.

He had a clean start to build a list to compete for a premiership when he joined the club. Didn't manage it.
Was given a second chance after 2016 with a direction he said he could manage and failed even worse while having more resources, more experience, and more support than when he first arrived at the club.

It would be madness to give him a third chance. He was absolutely right we needed a rebuild, and he would know considering he was a large part of the reason we needed it. And he didn't leave of his own volition, he was shown the door, paid handsomely for his time, and none of the other clubs that sacked a coach that year picked him up which probably says a lot.
You never had a list capable of genuinely competing for a flag.

However, Scott got the most out of your list, including two PFs, and was subsequently right about a rebuild being required. You replaced him with Rhyce Shaw and that didn't work out.

Scott comes out of it looking more competent and clear-eyed than the other folks making decisions.

Last edited:
He got the most out of your list and was right about a rebuild being required. You replaced him with Rhyce Shaw and that didn't work out.
I'm not sure about "the most" but up until '16 he got a lot out of them, yes. And again, yes, we required a rebuild. And yes 2020 was a ******* disaster for a thousand reasons, but it's also completely irrelevant.

But you seem to be completely ignoring my other points namely the fact it was HIS list. He built the team up twice and it simply wasn't good enough either time. He didn't deserve a third go of it, so was told to * off. It simply isn't a case of "he told them they needed to rebuild and they didn't want to hear it so he left".

I'm not sure about "the most" but up until '16 he got a lot out of them, yes. And again, yes, we required a rebuild. And yes 2020 was a ******* disaster for a thousand reasons, but it's also completely irrelevant.
He got you to two PFs. At what point do you think you had a list that should have gone further than that?

But you seem to be completely ignoring my other points namely the fact it was HIS list. He built the team up twice and it simply wasn't good enough either time. He didn't deserve a third go of it, so was told to fu** off. It simply isn't a case of "he told them they needed to rebuild and they didn't want to hear it so he left".
It sounds like that's exactly what happened.

North sure ballsed it up by kicking out pretty much all of their experienced players before their new coach could even have a say. But it is what it is and they may not win a game this year. I could live with North having a priority pick, even if this mess is largely of their own making.

North sure ballsed it up by kicking out pretty much all of their experienced players before their new coach could even have a say. But it is what it is and they may not win a game this year. I could live with North having a priority pick, even if this mess is largely of their own making.
We could have kept those experienced but largely s**t players and been second last again at best. Yay!

I saw the North v Dees game at Blundstone yesterday and I have to say, I was surprised at how decent North is. There is no doubt you ran out of legs in the last quarter, but that can be addressed in the next off-season with the right fitness staff. You're missing some key position players, but only a few and you'll be pushing up the ladder in no time. I don't think it's a dire situation for North at all. Just have to address the deficiencies with some sensible recruiting and staff changes and you'll be in business. The Dees certainly had their hands full with North for 2/3 of that match. I was more than a little concerned we were going to get rolled.
Fitness is the issue.

A bit of hardness around the ball too. You lot lost Viney and that may have helped us but Jed Anderson is a weapon in our midfield and we miss him alot. We are missing two of our best KPDs tho Josh Walker is good depth. And it Bonar was a massive loss. He has gone from potential delistee to a player who is picked early this season. Probably losing him was worth two or three goals to Fritsch cos he can keep right at it with mobile or tall forwards.

There are serious questions over our fitness and injury management staff. Hopefully the off season will address this, the story is (Dr) Harry Unglik was brought in to review the fitness and medical staff and setup.

Otherwise its good that we can start to see what we are building. We have started plenty of games well, its just a matter of pushing that effort all the way up to four quarters. Every week we last a bit longer so its getting there.

I'd love to add Luke Jackson and Kossie Picket to the side. Especially Picket, he's a Chop off the old block...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back