North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
North clearly arent going to be given a PP for all the reasons supporters are so excited for next year...
Don’t think excitement levels play into being worthy of getting one

the straight facts are 3 bottom 4 finishes in the last 4 years and 7 wins over the last 2 years would qualify us

lol let's not pretend you don't want one.

Of course you do, a free 1st round or 2nd round pick?.. who would say no.

The point is your team (or any other) shouldn't get one.
Our club is one of the few that have never received a priority pick. Some of us take some pride in that and want it to continue.

Don’t think excitement levels play into being worthy of getting one

the straight facts are 3 bottom 4 finishes in the last 4 years and 7 wins over the last 2 years would qualify us
Would you like to have a bet? I guarantee they dont give you one. Aside from being crap you must also have one of the following
A) Be Gold Coast
B) Have a narrative of despair.

No picks for you

The year before that we were 1 win away from the spoon

3 bottom 4 finishes in the last 4 years
7 wins over the last 2 years

if those numbers don’t get you a priority pick no one ever will

Brisbane
2014 - 15th
2015 - 17th
2016 - 17th
2017 - 18th

North Melbourne
2018 - 9th
2019 - 12th
2020 - 17th
2021 - 18th

Brisbane had an addition 2 years of being in the bottom 4 before they got a priority pick.

Would you like to have a bet? I guarantee they dont give you one. Aside from being crap you must also have one of the following
A) Be Gold Coast
B) Have a narrative of despair.

No picks for you
That may be the case but if so I look forward to the AFLs formal reasoning as those 2 reasons won’t suffice

That may be the case but if so I look forward to the AFLs formal reasoning as those 2 reasons won’t suffice
Eh, the reasoning will be ‘we think things are trending up and you don’t need one’

Also, since when does the AFL give reasoning that makes sense/is logical. They just tried to tell WA peeps that there is no Grand Final parade because of terrorism. They don’t exactly hide their bullshit

Meh. If we get one we get one, if we don’t, we don’t. Until a decision is made of course North supporters will be happy for the freebie and opposition supporters will be against it. Can’t blame clubs for stretching their privilege, won’t lose anything if the AFL say no.

lol let's not pretend you don't want one.

Of course you do, a free 1st round or 2nd round pick?.. who would say no.

The point is your team (or any other) shouldn't get one.
I posted these back in may and June in this thread:

Don’t want or need a pp.

Fitness and availability are the list’s two biggest liabilities atm.
Still don’t want or need one. We’ll be fine in the long term.

Care to rescind your accusation.

Its hard not to be amused watching North fans oscillate between pumping up their youth and their improvement in the second half of the year and then pleading their case for a priority pick. Its pretty amusing stuff.

Clearly there's no need for a priority pick. They just want a cheapo leg up on the rest of the comp to fast track their rebuild.
I don't think we NEED a PP but in the landscape of professional sport we would be remiss in not applying for one if there is any chance of getting one.

I'd welcome any leg up we can get and we should take advantage of it.

I don't expect we'll get one but if we do I'll be be pleasantly surprised and I won't feel robbed if we miss out.

Meh. If we get one we get one, if we don’t, we don’t. Until a decision is made of course North supporters will be happy for the freebie and opposition supporters will be against it. Can’t blame clubs for stretching their privilege, won’t lose anything if the AFL say no.
Still think
I posted these back in may and June in this thread:

Care to rescind your accusation.
we should take our pp via getting burgess or something

Lol You won more games this year alone than north have in the last 2 years combined
We haven't won a flag for almost 6 seasons, Gil owes us a PP.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GC retaining their pick 19 this season, despite finishing above us 2 years in a row and 3 wins clear of us.

I'd expect priority access to a state league player as a minimum for our application, as Carlton and GC were also awarded in 2018.

Self inflicted by tipping out a heap of senior players. PP should never be given except for a team like GC that can't stem the go home factor
Apart from Brown and Higgins the rest of the “senior players “ were spuds. Of those only Brown, Higgins and Mason wood were on a list this year.

Again I don’t expect a pick but this senior player argument is a bit of a dud the injuries the club suffered in the first half the year was the biggest impact, we had only 25 fit players at one point

Don't agree with the handing out of Priority Picks given the secret formula they use to determine who and when they are handed out.

However, what I am a strong advocate for is the introduction of a Priority Draft Round which sees all of the non-finalists get an extra pick (according to ladder position and in draft order) prior to the First Round proper.

It would look like this :

Picks 1-10 : Priority Round
Picks 11-28 : First Round
Picks 29-46 : Second Round

By bringing this in, it automatically helps the under-performing teams and re-distributes talent where it is needed. If you have just played finals, your list can't be that bad so it is not in as much need for new draft talent.

Furthermore, if a finalist wants a pick in the Priority Round, then they have to trade a player of value to get it which once again goes towards the principle of evening out the competition.

As it is, the system is geared up for teams to build up over a period of time and then have a reasonably long period of dominance before falling back down and going through the whole process again.

What we aren't seeing is teams come from virtually nowhere and have an impact which if it was to occur, would add way more excitement & theatre to the competition.

The other thing this system does do is reward good management (or encourages it) as shrewd decisions can yield better results in a shorter amount of time.

Last edited:
I don’t think gc should’ve kept theirs after outperforming us

Don't agree with the handing out of Priority Picks given the secret formula they use to determine who and when they are handed out.

However, what I am a strong advocate for is the introduction of a Priority Draft Round which sees all of the non-finalists get an extra pick (according to ladder position and in draft order) prior to the First Round proper.

It would look like this :

Picks 1-10 : Priority Round
Picks 11-28 : First Round
Picks 29-46 : Second Round

By bringing this in, it automatically helps the teams under-performing teams and re-distributes talent where it is needed. if you have just played finals, your list can't be that bad so it is not in as much need for new draft talent.

Furthermore, if a finalist wants a pick in the Priority Round, then they have to trade a player of value to get it which once again goes towards the principle of evening out the competition.

As it is, the system is geared up for teams to build up over a period of time and then have a reasonably long period of dominance before falling back down and going through the whole process again.

What we aren't seeing is teams come from virtually nowhere and have an impact which if it was to occur, would add way more excitement & theatre to the competition.

The other thing this system does do is reward good management (or encourages it) as shrewd decisions can yield better results in a shorter amount of time.

I don’t actually mind this, I mean for a lot of mid table sides this is something that whilst on the face of it could help achieve what I guess the goal of equalisation is (to have 18 different premiers over an 18 year period) many of the teams who bottom out do so from mid table (there are exceptions).

If we ever were going for a lottery I would say all non finals teams qualify, weighting of balls balanced in line with performance over a 5 yr avg period.

Also I would protect the entire first round from academy picks, if an academy player is picked up prior to a teams first pick they can get some form of compo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back