North Melbourne Priority Pick 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
aren't they getting a gift in Culley, picks shouldn't be handed out.

What are your thoughts on Brisbane getting the (probable) number 1 pick this season in Will Ashcroft ?

I actually think F/S and Boom NGA selections like him and Nick Daicos is more reason to let North have a Priority Pick.

Fans are happy to have probably the 2nd favourite premiership favourites get probably the best kid in the country handed to them on a silver platter for basically nothing (fundamentally) but revolt against the thought of poor battling North Melbourne, who have never had any kind of bonus draft assistance at all, getting a priority pick for putting back to back wooden spoon seasons, and on track to be bad as a dying Fitzroy in the mid 90s ?

Not signalling you specifically, but generally speaking, there is no rational or fair reason to allow Brisbane to draft Ashcroft, but we allow it cause its part of 'footy tradition and folklore'

If North do not get a Priority Pick this season, I think they should also abolish the Father/Son rule and only keep Academy Zone selections for clubs in non traditional football states.
.l

What are your thoughts on Brisbane getting the (probable) number 1 pick this season in Will Ashcroft ?

I actually think F/S and Boom NGA selections like him and Nick Daicos is more reason to let North have a Priority Pick.

Fans are happy to have probably the 2nd favourite premiership favourites get probably the best kid in the country handed to them on a silver platter for basically nothing (fundamentally) but revolt against the thought of poor battling North Melbourne, who have never had any kind of bonus draft assistance at all, getting a priority pick for putting back to back wooden spoon seasons, and on track to be bad as a dying Fitzroy in the mid 90s ?

Not signalling you specifically, but generally speaking, there is no rational or fair reason to allow Brisbane to draft Ashcroft, but we allow it cause its part of 'footy tradition and folklore'

If North do not get a Priority Pick this season, I think they should also abolish the Father/Son rule and only keep Academy Zone selections for clubs in non traditional football states.
.l

You make a good point. The value of a bonus pick or bonus talent via some list concession tends to carry on for a decade.

Let's take a look at Tom Hawkins. Arguably the #1 pick of that draft. Cats get him for a 3rd round pick as a father son and take Joel Selwood with their pick #7.

The rules are changed later, but those players and the benefit of the previous rule are still intact.

I put it to you that the issue has been the AFL trying to fit 16 and then 18 teams into the top eight every year, rushing to make that churn of teams faster by changing the system and then constantly chasing it's own tail to equalize from what it changed initially.

The draft is intended to give each side a top pick on average every decade and a half. The AFL toyed with that self equalising system by introducing priority picks with arbitrary rules and the clubs figured out that it's better to fill that last list spot with a pick #1 or #17 over a pick #62.

Father son picks are something the league has not got an equal playing field on, it heavily benefits the clubs that have been around for a very long time, back when those clubs could get players because his father was an administrator at the club, but the rule is set at 100 games now.

I don't particularly think it's fair for clubs like Fremantle who are now just starting to enter the period of club life where father son picks will begin filtering through that the system is changed again, meanwhile the clubs in the competition retain the benefits they had from the previous rule applying for their father son picks.

Brisbane are going to have to burn significant draft capital to buy a top three pick, and almost every club would if presented with the deal:
Get pick #1, give up #18, #18, #35, #63

Clubs like North Melbourne and Essendon have a right to be upset about having to pay a top pick for their father sons.

The whole reason we even needed the points was because the academy clubs were getting much more regular benefit of a priority access compromising the system, and then the father son picks got lumped in with that.

The Bomb

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 17, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

.l
Just because a club is crap they shouldn't hand out picks. Get the recruiting and development right by having the right people, Father sons are awesome for all clubs, when you get a good one like Brisbane are about too good on them. Priority picks are plain wrong.

Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
Hurn himself is still playing reasonable footy (7th in the league for marks) for a 35 year old 300 game player. He saw at 18 his teammates win a premiership in 2006, he went through West Coast little rebuild stage, plays 19 finals and captains his team to a 2015 Grand Final and a 2018 premiership. That sort of experience I think would be huge for North’s young players to be training and playing along side for a year or two.
Hurn just popped his calf, he’s cooked

Hurn just popped his calf, he’s cooked
Injury means cooked?
Hurn would be going North for his leadership not because he’s a player in his prime.

He's a fitter version of ben cunnington. Would be your best mid unless JHF does a 180 and stays.
giphy.gif

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Look let's just assume at this point North will get a PP or some kind of draft assistance from the AFL, what is the fairest way for all clubs for the league to help North out?

I think pick 10 in the first round, and a couple of extra list spots for state league players would be good.

Also I think North and the Eagles current struggles means they should hold back bringing back a Tassie team for the foreseeable future.

Personally i dont like the PP and dont believe another 18 year old kid (if they get the pick right is going to help them quickly)

My belief is if a team has been bottom 4 for 3 years and won less than 15 games in that 3 years then
* Extra 5 Rookie spots on the list outside the cap
*$500k extra to spend in the soft cap for 3 more development coaches

Would be more beneficial than 1 extra 18 year old kid that may turn out to be the next Tambling , Malera , Dow etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
See what you are stating there is different, it’s measured reasoned and is a discussion. What I’ve seen elsewhere is pretty different .

My thought in Carlton is my perspective it seemed every year they are bringing in a high priced recruit hence my comments on the recruiting method I’m sure looking deeper as a blues guy would I’d see something different.
How is that any different to what North were trying to do with all the big $$$ they were throwing around at just about every free agent ?
Martin , Kelly , De Goey , Gaff etc etc

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
How is that any different to what North were trying to do with all the big $$$ they were throwing around at just about every free agent ?
Bit of a difference in quality between Dustin Martin and Mitch McGovern.

If he can’t get on the field, his leadership would be greatly reduced. Better off being a coach.
As I stated earlier it’s an introduction to coaching. But this is one injury. He’s played every game so far this year and in decent form. Do you think Nat Fyfe would be better off as a coach because he can’t get on the field?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2011
Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Whoever is playing WC
As I stated earlier it’s an introduction to coaching. But this is one injury. He’s played every game so far this year and in decent form. Do you think Nat Fyfe would be better off as a coach because he can’t get on the field?
Calf is the old man injury. He’s 4 years older than Fyfe so there is a difference. I wouldn’t be suggesting getting Mundy either but he’s actually had less injuries & been more durable.

Rise_up_Stiffy

Premiership Player
Sep 3, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Did someone just say Ed Curnow is better than Ben Cunnington LOL

Calf is the old man injury. He’s 4 years older than Fyfe so there is a difference. I wouldn’t be suggesting getting Mundy either but he’s actually had less injuries & been more durable.
Hurn has a calf niggle, will probably end up being a week injury. Will hardly say he’s cooked when comparing him to the younger Fyfe

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it’s different as they were specifically targeted players to address a need (there was a distinct lack of a grade talent) had we landed one or two of those targets that would have been the end of it.

Carlton in my opinion took it way over the top McGovern,Docherty, Saad,McGovern, Touhy, Williams, Martin all on big $ to me that is excessive it’s a pretty big difference than a couple of signings. I didn’t think it’d lead to any success but that said they are winning games now so maybe it will

It should take at least another year in the cellar before assistance is considered. It is just North's turn.

• They will have pick 2 or 3 after Ashcroft goes to the Brions.
  • They should have sufficient cash to pick up a couple of FAs. Hopefully they have the sense to target honest players, interested in more than their bank balance. They could probably pick up a smart and reliable player like Jake Lloyd from my mob. There will be others.
  • They need to explore what draft picks players like Davis-Uniacke and Thomas would attract if put on the block.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It should take at least another year in the cellar before assistance is considered. It is just North's turn.

• They will have pick 2 or 3 after Ashcroft goes to the Brions.
  • They should have sufficient cash to pick up a couple of FAs. Hopefully they have the sense to target honest players, interested in more than their bank balance. They could probably pick up a smart and reliable player like Jake Lloyd from my mob. There will be others.
  • They need to explore what draft picks players like Davis-Uniacke and Thomas would attract if put on the block.
Lmao. List is devoid of 23-27 year old talent so let's just sell off our best two players about to hit that bracket for more 18 year olds. That'll get the rebuild going!

Lmao. List is devoid of 23-27 year old talent so let's just sell off our best two players about to hit that bracket for more 18 year olds. That'll get the rebuild going!

neither deliver.... Clarkson flogged off Thompson and Hay who he had assessed were not the future at the Hawks. LDU and TT are further down the quality chain but would attract competitive offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back