Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
neither deliver.... Clarkson flogged off Thompson and Hay who he had assessed were not the future at the Hawks. LDU and TT are further down the quality chain but would attract competitive offers.

There was a particular issue with both Thompson and Hay that went undisclosed until they ended up on our list. One was able to play through it.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
neither deliver.... Clarkson flogged off Thompson and Hay who he had assessed were not the future at the Hawks. LDU and TT are further down the quality chain but would attract competitive offers.

They wouldn't get much for either of them right now (certainly not first round picks)

No point trading them at this point.

They wouldn't get much for either of them right now (certainly not first round picks)

No point trading them at this point.
One reason to put them on the block is to put a rocket under them.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Unhappily others will come for BenMc next year when your Club lacks leverage. Better now than then. test these guys' commitment.

Do you mean test the waters with trading him or re-signing him? We should be putting a big contract in front of him, sure, but there's no benefit trying to shop him. It just makes it look like we're willing to sell. If other clubs have him in sight we'll get a good trade offer this year, if they want to offer him a boatload to move him next season we'll get just as good compo if he goes.

I think he'll stay regardless, he won't be short of money and he's deep in the rebuild by the time the contract comes, you'd expect things are clearer by then.

Do you mean test the waters with trading him or re-signing him? We should be putting a big contract in front of him, sure, but there's no benefit trying to shop him. It just makes it look like we're willing to sell. If other clubs have him in sight we'll get a good trade offer this year, if they want to offer him a boatload to move him next season we'll get just as good compo if he goes.

I think he'll stay regardless, he won't be short of money and he's deep in the rebuild by the time the contract comes, you'd expect things are clearer by then.

I like him but he is injury prone. Put a 2 year extension in front of him with a modest increase and not truckloads. He does not deserve it.

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it’s different as they were specifically targeted players to address a need (there was a distinct lack of a grade talent) had we landed one or two of those targets that would have been the end of it.

Carlton in my opinion took it way over the top McGovern,Docherty, Saad,McGovern, Touhy, Williams, Martin all on big $ to me that is excessive it’s a pretty big difference than a couple of signings. I didn’t think it’d lead to any success but that said they are winning games now so maybe it will
I highly doubt it is any different to the Carlton situation and the only difference is that Carlton we able to land their targets and north failed in their attempts.

North have had this 'War Chest ' Now for 10 years and were well and truly in the market to grab 3-4 of these free agents
Touhy is a geelong player that left Carlton and im not sure why he would be in that group

Both teams totally gutted their lists and rebuilt from ground zero , The difference i am seeing at the moment is that carlton went with KPP first and mids later on and topped up with expensive players from other clubs. North have done it differently going for Mids first whislt at the same time taking speculative mid tier players in the hope of creating support but my original reply to your post about cheque book recruiting is valid and both teams used cash to lure players but in norths case they went for the elite and failed . Principle is exactly the same

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
fwiw I would also test the waters now with McKay who is out of contract next year.
Why would Mckay leave now ?
Next ear i believe he is a free agent and can choose where he goes for the $$$ he will be demanding

But he is the last player north should be considering trading with no defence. He is exactly the type of player they are desperate for

Schnitzengruben

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
What's the point in giving them a free pick just so they use it to draft another Will Phillips? Bigger issues won't get fixed with handouts.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
oops statistically ed is ahead in most things other than on handballs.

ed superior statistically as well as endurance

Mate give it up, I love Ed as much as any Carlton fan, but he is not in Cunnington's level as an elite footballer. I cannot believe you are serious about this, its a wind up right

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Mate give it up, I love Ed as much as any Carlton fan, but he is not in Cunnington's level as an elite footballer. I cannot believe you are serious about this, its a wind up right
the whole ******* thread is a wind up. Trade McKay , give me strength. And boy do the masses love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back