List Mgmt. North Melbourne should apply for a Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The club should seriously consider applying for a priority pick in 2017.

The current list depth has been severely affected by staying consistently competitive thus never netting high end draft talent and has also been compromised by attempting to rebuild a list during the onboarding of the expansion clubs.

The club has netted no consistent benefit from the father-son rule in terms of a volume of exclusively accessed talented recruits.

What the club has shown is stability in management and a commitment to the cause of 'resetting' in seeing off veteran players after a 3rd failed assault on reaching the top 4. This year the club has made a serious attempt at being competitive only to be frustrated by several close losses and a rapidly degenerating injury list.

Having never received a previous priority pick, getting one granted now would be a partial offset of the inequity of never receiving any AFL's on-field special assistance in the past.

Thoughts?

Well it doesnt deserve to be discussed.
We have had a good run and we are not in that bad of shape.
Plus we get TT for next year so why would it even be brought up?

What does "good run" mean?

Carlton, Melbourne(!) and Brisbane have applied for priority picks under the current process.

I'd say we have more justification than the first 2 at the very least.

Why would it even be brought up? Because the club should be investigating every legitimate angle for improving the list. Thought that would be obvious.

Brisbane get plenty of quality academy players just like TT (might) be and were coming off multiple top 10 picks when they were award a priority pick.

I know it doesn't feel like it when we are emotionally invested, but our club and our list are too good for them to consider extra support. North stays competitive on the field, doesn't have players leaving, is stable in every department, never has a sustained dip - there is no crisis to be addressed.

I take your points, but I can't see the idea getting any legs. The PP rewards being rubbish, not busting your arse and doing pretty well considering, and we barely ever dip, let alone stay down.

Wait until the AFL announce that whoever wins the AFL X will get a priority pick, how do I know this will happen? because it is completely the wrong thing to do.

If we won those close games this year then this topic would never be brought up.
Imagine the disgust from the opposition teams when north get a priority pick one year after playing finals.
cmon man the AFL wont even look at it.

We shouldn't be asking for one on principal.

Be a success on our own merits.

To quote Marcellus Wallace - "* pride".

We've stoically stayed competitive for a long time and under old rules would be on track for a 2nd top 5 pick right now. But as result of the AFL system it's going to be 20 years and waiting for a flag.

Give me picks 2, 20 and 21 this year to play with over a warm feeling from the club being too proud to use every legitimate angle to resume its rightful position as an on-field force.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry KC, but we would have to just about be winless now and not win another game for the year to have any chance of a Priority Pick. Clubs have to have performed very poorly for a few years for that to happen and I would hate to see us ever be in that category.

**** priority picks. There's a reason I support North Melbourne, we have a spirit and a resilience that sets apart. Its why we'll never tank, or apply for AFL pity concessions. Its why we don't accept money from ripping off poor uneducated people with serious addictions and mental health issues, and why we campaign against gambling advertising. Its why we didn't move to the Gold Coast, and why we won't move to Tasmania. It's why we commit more to community projects like the Huddle than clubs 10 times our size. Its ehy we'vr made finals the last 3 years and made a prelim 2 years in a row without bottoming out or having "elite" players for the media to jizz all over. I'd love to see us win a premiership in the next few years, but if we don't (and let's face it, there's 18 teams competing and we probably won't) I'll still be as passionate a North fan as I am now. The identity of the club can and will never be compromised, and applying for a priority pick is just not North Melbourne.

north getting a priority pick? LOL there is more chance of......well north getting a priority pick! literally can't think of something more unlikely to happen. the AFL would give Brisbane 10 priority picks before they even consider giving us one.

What's much more likely to happen is when it's definite that north will get a top 2 pick, the AFL will introduce a new rule that will prevent us from tapping into actual talent. Either that, or bringing in a rule which states "Teams cannot trade picks for players who's fathers name is Phil and played for North Melbourne".

then once we're actaully eligible for a priority pick, they'll try and ship north of to tassie.

Now that is a very shrewd strategy
images

Remove this Banner Ad

Back