List Mgmt. North Melbourne should apply for a Priority Pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Conceptually I have no issue with it.

However the current system isn't built to allow it.

Maybe it should be though.

Under the current set up a club has next to zero incentive to improve other than Pride. This could be fundamentally shifted if the moved the way in which additional picks were handed out.

Take Brisbane as an example, mire in s**t and you get nothing. Improve you club year on year and get rewarded after a couple for doing that. Provide an actual incentive to the club to get better. Improve 3 spots in 2018, improve another 3 spots in 2019 and in that draft we give you an additional pick. 2020 they'd be looking at finals.

How much more likely is it for a talented kid in a s**t set up to either be churned or face developmental issues than it is for them to shine.

If you looked at our club as a whole over 15 years of middling to remain competitive rather than bottom and mire there is merit to the idea. Merit and the AFL are not as complementary as they should be.

Priority picks are a bane on the competition. Hardly defensible during the expansion team era, let alone now.

If teams are not being competitive they will automatically get high picks, and with free agency teams can fill gaps in the roster.

Probably another 18 months of poor results and we'd get one. Not sure we have that in us?

Nope.

Recent history indicates that one year with a low result is directly followed by a year where we climb back up.

Given that now fixture is tied to finishing position I expect our rebound to be decent.

Nope.

Recent history indicates that one year with a low result is directly followed by a year where we climb back up.

Given that now fixture is tied to finishing position I expect our rebound to be decent.

Agree I was talking about a priority pick, as others have said we aren't far off the pack. Should we land some A grade talent, I'd be getting a quote from a local cabinet maker.

Need to have a percentage of 50% from 100 point hidings. Team needs to look devoid in confidence with threats of players leaving.
I'd love it but it won't happen.

Won't happen this year. But if we struggle again in '18 it would be more of a chance. As people have said we've just come off 2 prelims and another finals appearance in the last 3 years.

Don't you get one if you win 5 or less games?

That use to be how it played out, but I think now you have to submit to a panel and they assess a lot of different circumstances with one definitely being recent success so we'd be no chance even if we didn't win another game for the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if you're getting Dusty and Kelly why would you need priority picks?

If Dees couldn't get one and Brissie didn't get one there's no chance we'd get one. Not even worth putting in the paperwork
And if we did then have four eyes Barrett take potshots at our club again for the next 10 years....if he lives that long.

images

NM "more picks please " AFL responds "pxss off Oliver"

I don't think there's a single thing North could do to get itself a priority pick and that includes a prolonged period being winless over a number of years.

It's almost as if the OP has no idea of what vindictive pricks the AFL are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back