Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

You can look at the trade from a range of angles. Melbourne loved Pickett and wanted him. We also ranked Jackson at 2 behind Rowell. We had no intentions of using 50. I’d say we would have already been in discussions with Freo over a pick swap to get back into round 2 of the draft. We would have also backed ourselves in to finish around the 8 this year. Melbourne also weren’t concerned about points.

Way Melbourne see it is a swap of our 2020 fist for north’s 2019 first. Then a shuffle of 2019 seconds. And we lost 50 which we weren’t using in any event.

Also quiet happy with the result so far. Pickett and Rivers looking the goods.
We also got back Carlton’s 2020 4th round pick from Freo, Basically replacing 50. Unlikely we’ll use it though.

2020 1st = Pickett
Pick 26 = Rivers
Pick 50 = Carlton’s 2020 4th (Currently 62)

if you look at the draft day Video of Melbourne selecting Rivers, Devon Robertson was Melbourne’s first Choice who was taken at pick 22 by Brisbane. Rivers was our next choice, Melbourne would of taken him at 23 so we got the guy we would of taken at pick 26 (which ended up being pick 30). Melbourne never lost out.

We also got back Carlton’s 2020 4th round pick from Freo, Basically replacing 50. Unlikely we’ll use it though.

2020 1st = Pickett
Pick 26 = Rivers
Pick 50 = Carlton’s 2020 4th (Currently 62)

if you look at the draft day Video of Melbourne selecting Rivers, Devon Robertson was Melbourne’s first Choice who was taken at pick 22 by Brisbane. Rivers was our next choice, Melbourne would of taken him at 23 so we got the guy we would of taken at pick 26 (which ended up being pick 30). Melbourne never lost out.

Yeah. The original trade ended up fine for you guys once the Freo deal was done. You basically just spent your 2020 1st on Pickett and your other picks ended up close to where they started.
The trade is likely to end up much better for North though.

Yeah. The original trade ended up fine for you guys once the Freo deal was done. You basically just spent your 2020 1st on Pickett and your other picks ended up close to where they started.
The trade is likely to end up much better for North though.
Pretty much, Melbourne wanted a small forward and a player that can use the ball. They drafted well with Pickett and Rivers, got what they want.

North trade pick 26 and pick 50 to Essendon for pick 35 and Essendon‘s 2020 2nd.

In the end North have:
Melbourne’s 2020 1st
Essendon’s 2020 2nd
Pick 35 was used on Flynn Perez.

North need to draft well with their 2 remaining picks like Melbourne did.

Pretty much, Melbourne wanted a small forward and a player that can use the ball. They drafted well with Pickett and Rivers, got what they want.

North trade pick 26 and pick 50 to Essendon for pick 35 and Essendon‘s 2020 2nd.

In the end North have:
Melbourne’s 2020 1st
Essendon’s 2020 2nd
Pick 35 was used on Flynn Perez.

North need to draft well with their 2 remaining picks like Melbourne did.

Perez is back from his knee. The club is a just a little bit excited about him, they think we have a beauty......

Marc McGowan has said he's going to debut in the next few weeks.

He's put on 8kg's since preseason. This trade and thread is about to get interesting......

Not a bad size for an 18 year old kid who is known for his wheels and kicking skills....

1597311245401.png

Perez is back from his knee. The club is a just a little bit excited about him, they think we have a beauty......

Marc McGowan has said he's going to debut in the next few weeks.

He's put on 8kg's since preseason. This trade and thread is about to get interesting......

Not a bad size for an 18 year old kid who is known for his wheels and kicking skills....

View attachment 934581
Good on him, looks like he’s worked hard to get to where he is.

Still think this was a win both ways.

Dees wanted Pickett, they got him.

North in a rebuild get a reasonable 1st round pick(5-10), an ok 2nd and Perez

I'd believe both clubs are quite content with this.

I seriously doubt North will be getting a pick between 5-10. Most likely a pick between 15-20 after Melbourne’s finishing position and bidding is considered.

I seriously doubt North will be getting a pick between 5-10. Most likely a pick between 15-20 after Melbourne’s finishing position and bidding is considered.

Who are all these kids being bid on? There would only be 2 in the top 10-15. Dee's would have top finish top 4 for it to end up pick 15 and win the flag for pick 20.

Who are all these kids being bid on? There would only be 2 in the top 10-15. Dee's would have top finish top 4 for it to end up pick 15 and win the flag for pick 20.
Gold Coast pick 11, JUH and Campbell will push it out. MAYBE McInnes as well. Finishing 8th would end up at 14

Gold Coast pick 11, JUH and Campbell will push it out. MAYBE McInnes as well. Finishing 8th would end up at 14

Huge chances McInnes slides - Blakey and Green in recent years were rated much higher than when the bid came. I can't see him getting a bid in the top 15.

Next 2 weeks are big for this pick.

Huge chances McInnes slides - Blakey and Green in recent years were rated much higher than when the bid came. I can't see him getting a bid in the top 15.

Next 2 weeks are big for this pick.

Melbourne have a game in hand as well against a slumping Essendon .

They could very well end up finishing around 6th (they are getting back into hot form at the right time)

Although if Perez ends up being as good as reports and you Roos fans say, at the very least you can say you broke even with The Dees in the trade (although I am confident Pickett will be a superb line breaker for the Dees within 3 years)

Melbourne have a game in hand as well against a slumping Essendon .

They could very well end up finishing around 6th (they are getting back into hot form at the right time)

Although if Perez ends up being as good as reports and you Roos fans say, at the very least you can say you broke even with The Dees in the trade (although I am confident Pickett will be a superb line breaker for the Dees within 3 years)
Not really - they have played 11 like a few teams around them. Those like GWS that have had the bye are also on 11 games. The top 6 look set in stone - the raffle is from 7 to 12.

Anytime ess play the dees you want to go in as heavy under dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Picks under 15 last night.

Petracca 2
Brayshaw 3
Jackson 3
Oliver 4
Salam 9
Weiderman 9
Tomilson 9
Melksam 10
Jones 12
Pickett 12
Lever 14

LDU 4
Polac 5
Bonar 11
Simpkin 12

Hard when top end picks are missing V a team with half their team under pick 15. Dees really should be much better.

You know someone is desperate to win an argument when they use Tomlinson in this debate

COVID has f’ed a lot of things but making the draft harder to pick this year in what is apparently already a meh field compared to 2018/2019 only benefits us. If we make finals I'm pretty comfortable saying this deal from our POV has been very good.
I keep reading this. The top 10 look super impressive - KM has called Logan McDonald and JUH as the best 2 17 year old forwards to hit the draft since Buddy. After watching the Kings that’s a big call.

Look at the vision of Phillips and Holland’s. Some other talls in Thilthope and DGB.

Maybe not having a 1st round pick has kept you away from having a decent look at the kids coming through.

I keep reading this. The top 10 look super impressive - KM has called Logan McDonald and JUH as the best 2 17 year old forwards to hit the draft since Buddy. After watching the Kings that’s a big call.

Look at the vision of Phillips and Holland’s. Some other talls in Thilthope and DGB.

Maybe not having a 1st round pick has kept you away from having a decent look at the kids coming through.

I'm not saying it'll be awful, but the class of 18/19 look incredible.

I'm not saying it'll be awful, but the class of 18/19 look incredible.
So it’s just you calling it meh? If 2 of the forwards become the best to enter AFL in 16 years I would put that in the incredible bucket.

We can take McDonald at 2 and as this draft is stacked with talls get a very good mid with your pick. Exciting times.

KM also said Lukosious was the best since Riewoldt..there is always someone.

Back