Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Our games are such prawn sandwich meh affairs. I'm not even sure this trade will bring an edge.

We have probably given you one of Ash/Kemp/Stephens/Flanders

Just be grateful.

Apart from St.Kilda, we have to be the two most depressing clubs to support.
Freo fan checking in here...

Who actually signed off on this deal for North, as incoming recruiting guru, Brady Rawlings isn't allowed to start work at NMFC till December?

Exactly.

Exactly...

Freo fan checking in here...

We took 50 years to win one, mate.

Now the old timers reckon we were molested by the umps in '49 but that is still 6 years (18 v 24) after your 1st GF appearance.

We are farrrrrrr more depressing and at least you can fill your ground when you're up and about.

St.Kilda wins this btw.
They have won 2 grand finals and have only one cup to show for it!

Who actually signed off on this deal for North, as incoming recruiting guru, Brady Rawlings isn't allowed to start work at NMFC till December?

I'd say likely the current list manager, Michael McMahon. Presumably with input from Mark Finnigan, the national recruitment manager, as to the perceived value of the picks.

But, haha Rhyce Shaw is currently doing all roles lol thanks Purple

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which are irrelevant unless you have NGA or F/S picks.
They're not irrelevant, they're an objective measure of the value of draft picks.

Honestly I would take pick 18 and pick 26 over pick 8.

Plus there is a very real possibility that Melbourne's first rounder next year will actually be better than pick 8, in which case this is a disaster for Melbourne

North win on assets. Melbourne win on bringing things forward.

North fans win because they get a good Melbourne Death Ride. That's a pretty tasty proposition.
This, you'd almost pay a second rounder to have an extra year of development. People underestimate that.
Melbourne are more likely to struggle. Despite all the crap that happened this year, we didn't finish bottom 4. North have been largely consistent over the years, Melbourne have been way more flakey.
How you finish has zero relevance here.

draft points aren't everything obviously. Id take 8 over a speculative pick and 26. Much more likely to hit a winner with a kid on 8.
You realise that the speculative pick could be above pick 8. It's likely to be in the range of pick 2 - 12. Even with a lot of academy picks, a lot has to go right for Melbourne to win this trade.

Have a look at the history of the draft, you would take the two players you get from pick 26 and pick 12 over what you get at pick 8.

Pick 8's are still barely a 50% hit rate

This, you'd almost pay a second rounder to have an extra year of development. People underestimate that.

Why? Melbourne finished 17th this year. Yes they under-achieved but it would be silly to start a short-term strategy.

People saying risky for Melb, I think way more risky for north.

Melbourne improve & with all the academy picks, the future first could be in the teens without melb playing finals.
We can't lose, even if they win the flag we come out on top points wise. My type of trading, especially when the aforementioned is so unlikely.

We can't lose, even if they win the flag we come out on top points wise. My type of trading, especially when the aforementioned is so unlikely.
But you're not trying to win a points battle, you should be trying to build a list to win a premiership. Will be interesting to see what they do from here.

How you finish has zero relevance here.

Well, it is and isn’t irrelevant.

If we finish higher because we’ve beaten Melbourne twice and forced that pick higher, it is relevant where we finish.

But you're not trying to win a points battle, you should be trying to build a list to win a premiership. Will be interesting to see what they do from here.
i see what you are saying here. Gone are the days we deal in 3rd and 4th round pick swaps for Hrovat. We are willing to deal, player managers will know we are willing to so will get deals done. Bodes well for us from a trade perspective. I think it makes a statement more than anything else. Pretty chuffed as next years draft is so compromised its all about the points. We are posturing ourselves nicely

Back