Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch7 reporting Melbourne will swap pick 3 for pick 6 and Giants future 1st rounder.

Leaves them with picks 6 and 8 this year whilst keeping a presence in next year's 1st round.
Good move, although keeping pick 3 would have been good for them. Two picks in the top 10 is excellent.

Ch7 reporting Melbourne will swap pick 3 for pick 6 and Giants future 1st rounder.

Leaves them with picks 6 and 8 this year whilst keeping a presence in next year's 1st round.

That almost certainly won’t be a first rounder.

Who actually signed off on this deal for North, as incoming recruiting guru, Brady Rawlings isn't allowed to start work at NMFC till December?

Apparently Cam Joyces who has spent years dithering while Rome burned, but on his NMFC deathbed he's pulled a master stroke. Reeks of Cam and would have nothing to do with Rawlings at all/

Move on please, nothing to see here.

They're not irrelevant, they're an objective measure of the value of draft picks.

Honestly I would take pick 18 and pick 26 over pick 8.

Plus there is a very real possibility that Melbourne's first rounder next year will actually be better than pick 8, in which case this is a disaster for Melbourne

Given all the academy picks there really isn't.

Quite happy with pick 8 over our 2020 first and pick 26, confident it will work out well for us.

What's short term about it?
Losing next year's first rounder and gaining this year's first rounder.

It makes sense for a team to sacrifice their long term position when they're in a premiership window, but it's unlikely that melbourne is

Losing next year's first rounder and gaining this year's first rounder.

It makes sense for a team to sacrifice their long term position when they're in a premiership window, but it's unlikely that melbourne is
How is taking an extra top 10 pick in the draft sacrificing their long term position or a sign they think they're in a premiership window?

Mahoney is always playing the long game at trade time, so I’ve got no doubt this is related to a trade with GWS for pick 6 and next years first rounder.

When you combine the 2 trades, it makes a fair bit of sense. Two top 10 picks this year and a late first rounder next year, as opposed to 1 top pick this year and 2 first rounders next year in a compromised draft.

Mahoney is always playing the long game at trade time, so I’ve got no doubt this is related to a trade with GWS for pick 6 and next years first rounder.

When you combine the 2 trades, it makes a fair bit of sense. Two top 10 picks this year and a late first rounder next year, as opposed to 1 top pick this year and 2 first rounders next year in a compromised draft.

You mean 1 top 10 pick, a second round pick and a third round pick and 2 first rounds next year in a compromised draft.

We didn’t just trade first rounders.

People seem to be banging on about the 2020 compromised draft, but overlooking the fact most people (including the North recruiting manager) have stated he’s comfortable moving back into the 20’s because he doesn’t think there’s much between most of the top 30 prospects.

There’s a small chance we may get a better player at #26 than Melbourne gets at #8.

Totally agree, let's see what happens at the end of trade period before judging this trade. Too many people were quick to jump on the frost trade until Mahoney did part 2 on the Langdon trade. Need to judge the trade period on totality rather than individual trades.

You mean 1 top 10 pick, a second round pick and a third round pick and 2 first rounds next year in a compromised draft.

We didn’t just trade first rounders.

People seem to be banging on about the 2020 compromised draft, but overlooking the fact most people (including the North recruiting manager) have stated he’s comfortable moving back into the 20’s because he doesn’t think there’s much between most of the top 30 prospects.

There’s a small chance we may get a better player at #26 than Melbourne gets at #8.
The next ben McKay or Ryan Clarke.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a neutral who dislikes both teams quite a lot this is hard as I want to death ride both equally next year. My gut tells me that North are hanging off a cliff but I've thought that two years in a row and they continue to maintain their rightful place as a mid table mediocre team. Melbourne looks like they found a heart in 2018 before it became clear that this heart was made out of mushy peas.

Norths picks next year will blow out due to nga and father sons. Next year is a s**t draft outside the top 5. It's closer than what people think

As a neutral who dislikes both teams quite a lot this is hard as I want to death ride both equally next year. My gut tells me that North are hanging off a cliff but I've thought that two years in a row and they continue to maintain their rightful place as a mid table mediocre team. Melbourne looks like they found a heart in 2018 before it became clear that this heart was made out of mushy peas.
That's nice, Lovey.

On the surface I think north have done better from the deal. We probably could’ve got a pick back from North. But I like it from a Melbourne point of view. Get Stuck into the draft this year or potentially trade 3 or 8. It’s hard to judge at this stage anyway. And going by points isn’t really a good measure unless you’re banking on academy players.

I won’t be surprised if we move 3 on to giants for 6 and 2020 first rounder.

On the surface I think north have done better from the deal. We probably could’ve got a pick back from North. But I like it from a Melbourne point of view. Get Stuck into the draft this year or potentially trade 3 or 8. It’s hard to judge at this stage anyway. And going by points isn’t really a good measure unless you’re banking on academy players.

I won’t be surprised if we move 3 on to giants for 6 and 2020 first rounder.

The Giants 2020 first rounder is essentially trading the equivalent of #26 back in again.

Feel free to death ride both of us, I don't mind two low picks.

But please make sure you definitely death ride Melbourne.

Back