Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
You mean 1 top 10 pick, a second round pick and a third round pick and 2 first rounds next year in a compromised draft.

We didn’t just trade first rounders.

People seem to be banging on about the 2020 compromised draft, but overlooking the fact most people (including the North recruiting manager) have stated he’s comfortable moving back into the 20’s because he doesn’t think there’s much between most of the top 30 prospects.

There’s a small chance we may get a better player at #26 than Melbourne gets at #8.
And there's a chance that we'll get a better player at #8 than you would get at #1 next year.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
North have to have a specific recruiting/star target for 2020 in order to do this trade, cause the first round pick range from around 6 to 10 next year (which is around where the Dees will finish next year) isn't as strong/flash as this year's

Maybe, they are very confident they can finally feel in that big fish with their war chest.

Also I hope the AFL does spice the round 1 draw by fixturing The Dees v North, would give both teams much needed publicity and hopefully a boost in the coffers with a bigger than usual crowd.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
North have taken a far less risky option here. Probably thinking at worst they’ve got themselves a couple of free picks this year. Assuming they don’t rate Melbourne form next year.
It’s somewhat surprising they didn’t want to use pick 8 this year. Given they are in a rebuild I think top end draft talent is pretty important. As much as I’m not confident Melbourne will fly up the ladder I don’t think we’ll be second last again.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
North have taken a far less risky option here. Probably thinking at worst they’ve got themselves a couple of free picks this year. Assuming they don’t rate Melbourne form next year.
It’s somewhat surprising they didn’t want to use pick 8 this year. Given they are in a rebuild I think top end draft talent is pretty important. As much as I’m not confident Melbourne will fly up the ladder I don’t think we’ll be second last again.
Next year is so tough to predict - the 3 teams that finished above you - Blues, Swans and Saints would all be expecting to also rise up the ladder. Hard to make a case for the Dees passing any of the top 7 but from 8th to 17th is a real raffle.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Next year is so tough to predict - the 3 teams that finished above you - Blues, Swans and Saints would all be expecting to also rise up the ladder. Hard to make a case for the Dees passing any of the top 7 but from 8th to 17th is a real raffle.
I agree that it could be a close year. But there’s always sliders and bolters. I just don’t see us finishing 17th again. Would think anywhere from 6-12. Another finish down the bottom and Goodwin might be looking for a new job.

Quintero

All Australian
May 16, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
River Plate
Imagine Papley gets to the dees.....

I think Melbourne finish ~5th next year personally, they are a good team.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Norths picks next year will blow out due to nga and father sons. Next year is a s**t draft outside the top 5. It's closer than what people think

While the numbers may change the actual players available don't. Using Tarryn Thomas as an example was always heading to North, Adelaide called his name at pick 8 and we matched.

Crows then had pick nine. Didn't make one iota of difference to players available to Adelaide. Cannot see how next year will be any different.

Warhorse

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
While the numbers may change the actual players available don't. Using Tarryn Thomas as an example was always heading to North, Adelaide called his name at pick 8 and we matched.

Crows then had pick nine. Didn't make one iota of difference to players available to Adelaide. Cannot see how next year will be any different.
Adelaide got the 9th pick instead of the 8th pick. If there are 10 nga/ father son players before norths picks than that will blow out

Cwah

Draftee
May 18, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well there is talk Melbourne are making a late but for Brad Hill. Hmm
Interesting. His stats are poor at Marvel, and great at the MCG. Neither are destination Victorian clubs, which would suggest Melbourne with Pick 8 are in the game if they so wish

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
North wins this trade regardless
While I think north have got the better of it, it really depends on who Melbourne and north draft. And of course where Melbourne finishes next year.
I’ll laugh at anyone who claims Melbourne lose this trade even if they win the premiership next year. Like anyone long suffering Melbourne supporter will give a **** about this trade then.

SuperSic

All Australian
Oct 16, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I’m the same. We have bet on the Dees to struggle.

You haven’t bet on anything, you’ve just taken free picks from Melbourne. Even if Melbourne win the flag next year and somehow their 2020 1st rounder ends up being pick 25 (virtually impossible) due to FS and academy bids then you still win this trade. North have absolutely reamed Melbourne here. If Dees struggle that’s just a bonus.

Also the compromised draft is extremely overrated. What are the odds that all the academy kids end up being in the top 20? Pretty slim. And even if they all are, the late first round picks won’t be pushed back that much because most first rounders require first rounders in order to match the bid meaning that the picks largely just shuffle places rather than “adding” picks into the draft which seems to be the common belief.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Without having read all 8 pages to see if this has been covered already, I doubt Melbourne were tricked into this deal as on the surface it’s heavily in North’s favour.

Melbourne probably have a view on the relative strengths of this year and next year’s drafts and rate this year much higher. You can only assess a draft crop against their peer group, and who is to say the 20th player picked this year is not a stronger prospect than the 10th player picked next year because it’s simply a better peer group this year?

Or they are loading up in the draft this year so they can get more development into younger players (they did this with Weideman which probably hasn’t paid off but the reasoning is sound) and are looking to use free agency next year instead of the draft.

I suspect they also think they will make finals next year, so 2020 pick will be in the double digits.

This will all be part of a broader list profile strategy as Melbourne have proven to be adventurous in the past and willing to pay what appears to be overs for what they think they need.

I’m not saying it will work!

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Without having read all 8 pages to see if this has been covered already, I doubt Melbourne were tricked into this deal as on the surface it’s heavily in North’s favour.

Melbourne probably have a view on the relative strengths of this year and next year’s drafts and rate this year much higher. You can only assess a draft crop against their peer group, and who is to say the 20th player picked this year is not a stronger prospect than the 10th player picked next year because it’s simply a better peer group this year?

Or they are loading up in the draft this year so they can get more development into younger players (they did this with Weideman which probably hasn’t paid off but the reasoning is sound) and are looking to use free agency next year instead of the draft.

I suspect they also think they will make finals next year, so 2020 pick will be in the double digits.

This will all be part of a broader list profile strategy as Melbourne have proven to be adventurous in the past and willing to pay what appears to be overs for what they think they need.

I’m not saying it will work!
Good analysis. It’s a risk but seems Mahoney was quiet keen to get in to this years talent pool early.

Back