Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Let’s put it this way I back us to pick someone better than Pickett next year with our first you gave us

And then when you couple it with the 2 second rounders we got also it’s robbery
Except that Trent Rivers alone will turn out better than anyone on your list.

Theo X

Premiership Player
Jan 18, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
East Wedderburn Trugo Club
Didnt think it possible, but picking the biggest reach for needs since Lucas Cook, in pickett, has made this trade look even worse for us.

Pickett was a stretch at 10, but has a lot of good attributes that should hopefully help Melbourne in the long term. The pick swap has evened out a bit for Melbourne with some good pick trading.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Didnt think it possible, but picking the biggest reach for needs since Lucas Cook, in pickett, has made this trade look even worse for us.

Statements like this make absolutely no sense, the kid hasn't even trained let alone played a game and you come out with garbage like this.

perplexed

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Statements like this make absolutely no sense, the kid hasn't even trained let alone played a game and you come out with garbage like this.
I'll try and walk you through it.
Melbourne traded a future first, a second and a third for a pick they used on a player who was rated as a likely second/third rounder at the time of the trade.
Pickett should be a useful player for Melbourne and would already be the hardest bloke on your list. But the trade makes no sense.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I'll try and walk you through it.
Melbourne traded a future first, a second and a third for a pick they used on a player who was rated as a likely second/third rounder at the time of the trade.
Pickett should be a useful player for Melbourne and would already be the hardest bloke on your list. But the trade makes no sense.

The only thing you got correct in that post is the name of the club, the rest is just pure garbage.

devil demon

Senior List
Sep 27, 2005
Earth
AFL Club
Melbourne
They mean something went wrong with this trade. A bottom club doesn't give up so much for a lowly rated small forward. They had something else in mind.

Except we got a second round and future 4th back. We also had to use the pick because the doggies were also sniffing around.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, they got who they wanted.

A supremely skilled and quick player who applies great defensive pressure.
This is it. We got who we wanted. There were no other players like Pickett with his attributes in the pool. Weightman was also a consideration but doesn’t have the defensive pressure we desperately need. Also not sure he has the same crumbing ability. Word was that Hawks Port and Dog we’re keen on Pickett. So we needed to commit.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
No, they got who they wanted.

A supremely skilled and quick player who applies great defensive pressure.

He hasn't had his first training session yet and is already home sick

Pickett has some good attributes but Melbourne got played tacking him at pick 12. I guess this happens when you put an air conditioner repairman in charge of drafting.

If Pickett was the target he could have traded down and got him at 20-25. Similar to how the Blues played the Kemp situation. Jeez, who knew SOS was a better operator than Jason Taylor?!?!

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne

Pickett has some good attributes but Melbourne got played tacking him at pick 12. I guess this happens when you put an air conditioner repairman in charge of drafting.

If Pickett was the target he could have traded down and got him at 20-25. Similar to how the Blues played the Kemp situation. Jeez, who knew SOS was a better operator than Jason Taylor?!?!

Maybe Melbourne got played, maybe not. I think we will never really know for sure.

The same media who said Pickett was too early at 10/12 said Green would get bid on at 3, or definitely 5, and that ended up being wrong. In that case GWS got played to trade up from 6 to 4.

They also said Jackson was Melbourne’s target, and that was true.

There is clearly plenty of misinformation flying around.

It only takes one of the clubs between pick 10/12 and the pick Melbourne could have traded down to to love Pickett and that trade down is a huge mistake if Melbourne really wanted Pickett.

Maybe Melbourne tried to trade down and there were no takers.

The alternate view is so many clubs letting Kemp slide to 17 means there’s something seriously deficient in Kemp and SOS got played. A sure fire multi position gun would go top 5, so he can’t be that.

While maximising value and paying the least you can for what you get is a big part of drafting, getting exactly who you want given your picks is surely more important than getting who the herd think is the best player you could have got.

I hope Taylor chose well, but I have no idea if he did get played or not in reality.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Any chance you post something factual? It'd be nice for a change.

Back