Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
You do realize that they won't use the ladder after one game nor will they just go off last years ladder right? Too many clubs will rightfully object.

They're not gonna do a lottery either, clubs will object to that too.

If it sits at one game last years ladder is the logical option, IIRC there's no trade where clubs are death riding each other. Makes no difference to Melbourne for example, if anything it gives them a more desirable position in later rounds.

There'll be a right old breakdown in society with this virus if we don't get some form of season finished, I'd rather hope for the best there.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
They're not gonna do a lottery either, clubs will object to that too.

If it sits at one game last years ladder is the logical option, IIRC there's no trade where clubs are death riding each other. Makes no difference to Melbourne for example, if anything it gives them a more desirable position in later rounds.

There'll be a right old breakdown in society with this virus if we don't get some form of season finished, I'd rather hope for the best there.

They are far more likely to use a lottery system than last years ladder, teams trade their picks on the basis they believe they'll be able to move up the ladder through performance and they don't get the chance to do so.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
They are far more likely to use a lottery system than last years ladder, teams trade their picks on the basis they believe they'll be able to move up the ladder through performance and they don't get the chance to do so.
Teams trade picks on the basis they believe a crap team will stay crap.

The only source of truth we have is the last completed season.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Why are they far more likely? The whole thing is unprecedented. The AFL has been avoiding the lottery system for years, they aren't going to just add it in when the only difference between last season and now is one game.

As mentioned, some clubs also trade their picks on the basis some clubs may not move up. It's the same deal. Don't know why clubs like Melbourne wouldn't jump in head first, your draft position is improved without having to be terrible on field to maintain it. Your example makes sense in the instance we both traded picks for this season but do you really think the Melbourne football club care about "winning" last years trade at the expense of better position this season? That seems more a fan thing to me.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Why are they far more likely? The whole thing is unprecedented. The AFL has been avoiding the lottery system for years, they aren't going to just add it in when the only difference between last season and now is one game.

As mentioned, some clubs also trade their picks on the basis some clubs may not move up. It's the same deal. Don't know why clubs like Melbourne wouldn't jump in head first, your draft position is improved without having to be terrible on field to maintain it. Your example makes sense in the instance we both traded picks for this season but do you really think the Melbourne football club care about "winning" last years trade at the expense of better position this season? That seems more a fan thing to me.

It's not about winning the trade.

Melbourne simply would not have done this trade if they weren't going to get the chance to improve on last years position, they would've just kept the pick.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Melbourne simply would not have done this trade if they weren't going to get the chance to improve on last years position, they would've just kept the pick.
Like when the Crows traded us pick 4 and the Blues lost their picks and we ended up with pick 2?

Buyer and seller beware.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams

Well that's not entirely true, if they thought they could fix an area of need immediately rather than waiting a year. It's pretty clear to me they had a target in mind and they got him. They've had their prize.

They traded for a second shot at last years first round. Sure, they wouldn't have anticipated finishing as low again (and I doubt North thought they were trading with a repeat bottom four side either, they traded enough in with the pick to offset your expected improvement). At that, none of it is really relevant to how the next draft is done but there's now way any of the clubs who don't benefit from whatever F/S and academy players are out there are going to allow themselves to be potentially compromised again with a raffle (I consider North and Geelong forefront of this).

My point stands, Melbourne have won their side of the trade. A perceived low finish at the expense of not the team being poor but the ladder of a previous season being held intact with only one game played actually contributes more to Melbourne. They won't sniff at a first up pick around 20 to 25 when it could have been 30-35. It's a bonus. Flip side North give up a late top ten one season for an early one the next season, it's just a player.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I couldn’t see the AFL using one game of data to formulate the draft order. We had just about the hardest game. Eagles wouldn’t lose many in Perth. As mentioned using last years ladder is not a fair result either in the whole scheme of things when you allow clubs to trade future picks.

If there is no complete season this year there won’t be a draft.

Currently the season is postponed so they are hoping a season still gets completed and the order will come from that.

There have been talks that if there is no draft they might bump the draft age up to 19 (which has been spoken a out previously) and this years draft crop will be eligible next year.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I couldn’t see the AFL using one game of data to formulate the draft order. We had just about the hardest game. Eagles wouldn’t lose many in Perth. As mentioned using last years ladder is not a fair result either in the whole scheme of things when you allow clubs to trade future picks.
If there is no complete season this year there won’t be a draft.

Currently the season is postponed so they are hoping a season still gets completed and the order will come from that.

There have been talks that if there is no draft they might bump the draft age up to 19 (which has been spoken a out previously) and this years draft crop will be eligible next year.
There will be a draft. Players will get traded for draft picks, players deleted and players will retire.

If the season is over it will either be based on last years ladder or a lottery weighted on last years ladder.

If they can get 8-10 games completed after May 31 then it’s business as usual.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There will be a draft. Players will get traded for draft picks, players deleted and players will retire.

If the season is over it will either be based on last years ladder or a lottery weighted on last years ladder.

If they can get 8-10 games completed after May 31 then it’s business as usual.
I think the AFL is prepared to go deep into the year to get a season. So I agree there’ll be a draft. My comments related to being No season and using data from one game or a previous season where the AFL allowed clubs to trade future picks.

It’s going to be interesting for recruiters. I stand by my comments around this being a difficult draft year. Yes there are guys who are already standouts. But we are entering uncharted waters in many areas of the game.

Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
I think the AFL is prepared to go deep into the year to get a season. So I agree there’ll be a draft. My comments related to being No season and using data from one game or a previous season where the AFL allowed clubs to trade future picks.

It’s going to be interesting for recruiters. I stand by my comments around this being a difficult draft year. Yes there are guys who are already standouts. But we are entering uncharted waters in many areas of the game.

Yeah, this is pretty much how I see it.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
Melbourne had that chance... Instead they got pumped by a team that finished outside the top 4 last year.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders

Again, they did get the chance. And they weren't good enough. Melbourne rolled the dice and it could come back to bite them. Blame your list management staff, not North fans.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
1590620095215.png

1590620104659.png

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
The fixture never bothers me. And still doesn’t. Yes you can get a harder fixture or and easier one. I think we’ll do the same either way. If you’re any good you’ll do ok. Bugger worrying about a fixture. Everyone plays each other once. So who cares.

Back