Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm... Good point, if only we could trade our first rounder for an absolute star like Steven May.
My post wasn't meant to come off as me being a smart ass, just stating a fact

My post wasn't meant to come off as me being a smart ass, just stating a fact

In fairness mate we've been turned down by some very big stars of clubs in the top four of the competition, 2-3 years ago. We've been able to shake out some guys lower placed (starting with Higgins, ending with Polec) over time and now have the potential to be heading in to the next off season perhaps more desirable on field if current form permits, with a rated coach, valuable draft assets and a lot of salary cap left. If we're just going to stay in the past as far as recruiting goes there's return jibes that could go the other way, but won't, because it would be stupid.

In fairness mate we've been turned down by some very big stars of clubs in the top four of the competition, 2-3 years ago. We've been able to shake out some guys lower placed (starting with Higgins, ending with Polec) over time and now have the potential to be heading in to the next off season perhaps more desirable on field if current form permits, with a rated coach, valuable draft assets and a lot of salary cap left. If we're just going to stay in the past as far as recruiting goes there's return jibes that could go the other way, but won't, because it would be stupid.

Mate every club has been rejected by a star player they wanted to coup over the years, in my opinion, North Melbourne made a tactical mistake (for themselves and their supporters) by making public knowledge that they are pursuing Dusty Martin and Josh Kelly to the public domain.

In contrast Hawthorn (and I think this trade was terrible on their behalf In hindsight) had been privately courting Chad Wingard (least on Clarkson'a behalf) for months before that controversial trade (which ironically Port seemed to have won on points so far

I know they had good/sincere intentions at the time, but the NMFC did a lot more harm than good with their public declaration of players they op3nlu admitted to chase

The Gaff scenario is different, I am convinced he was North bound before something unexpected happened (of which I have no idea)

North seem to be building something really promising at Arden St, wouldn't surprise me at all if you guys can jag a quality star player or two (Rhyce Shaw is a prized asset, very much a coach players want to play under)

The problem with trading it for players is top players have continued to knock back your advances despite the huge sums of cash thrown at them over recent years

So you will either need to take them to the draft, trade them for more picks or overpay for an average player
The top players turned everyone down - Dusty stayed, Gaff stayed JDG stayed, Kelly stayed, Heeney stayed. We aren't losing out to other clubs.

And our average recruits have helped us with our great start - Higgins and Polec in particular. Although calling an AA player average is amusing.

Having 2 1st rounders this year puts in a great position - if the Dogs finish bottom 6 they are a big chance to look at to trading their 1st round - I think you will find more than 1 club will need to move there 1st round pick on - like we did with Thomas.

Mate every club has been rejected by a star player they wanted to coup over the years, in my opinion, North Melbourne made a tactical mistake (for themselves and their supporters) by making public knowledge that they are pursuing Dusty Martin and Josh Kelly to the public domain.

In contrast Hawthorn (and I think this trade was terrible on their behalf In hindsight) had been privately courting Chad Wingard (least on Clarkson'a behalf) for months before that controversial trade (which ironically Port seemed to have won on points so far

I know they had good/sincere intentions at the time, but the NMFC did a lot more harm than good with their public declaration of players they op3nlu admitted to chase

The Gaff scenario is different, I am convinced he was North bound before something unexpected happened (of which I have no idea)

North seem to be building something really promising at Arden St, wouldn't surprise me at all if you guys can jag a quality star player or two (Rhyce Shaw is a prized asset, very much a coach players want to play under)

I agree with a lot of this - my preference would to keep out cards close to our chest and hopefully we do that in the future. We may have also dodged some bullets with some big offers - Zurhaar is every chance to be as good as JDG at a fraction of the price.

There is a growing list of traded players being over paid and under performing in the league at the minute. With what our kids have shown early this year our war chest should start to be given to them IMO.

And our average recruits have helped us with our great start - Higgins and Polec in particular. Although calling an AA player average is amusing.
Higgins was average when he went to North though

Higgins was average when he went to North though

Higgins was injured, not average. Did we overpay?

I'm not sure why we are restricted to the draft and overpaying for average players.

I can't even think who you are trying to infer?

There's a few more scenarios available to us, like how we took advantage of Melbourne's situation for instance.

It gives us more flexibility to move up (or down the draft), no reason why we couldn't target someone like Caldwell AND take a pick to the draft etc.

The club might want to try and turn them into 4 or 5 picks inside the top 25 for all I know.

Last edited:
Much better to start average and become elite than turning elite into average!! Plenty of names on that list as well.......
yeah can't argue with how good his recruitment was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Enjoy the top 4 pick coming your way North fans. We don’t know how to football anymore. Thinking we can finish above Crows Dockers and maybe swans. But geez it’s a struggle.

Pickett was one of your better players today so that is something.

Reckon you are just poorly coached at the moment ..

Pickett was one of your better players today so that is something.

Reckon you are just poorly coached at the moment ..
Agree on both points. We are certainly poorly coached. Pickett for a second gamer looks the goods. Had so many “almost” moments. Once he starts getting those ones he’s going to be a fantastic player. Also wins contested footy and once he builds a tank I expect him to have short stints on the footy.

Enjoy the top 4 pick coming your way North fans. We don’t know how to football anymore. Thinking we can finish above Crows Dockers and maybe swans. But geez it’s a struggle.

You nearly still won the game after playing so poorly. Cats are a good side and now you get the Tigers at a good time this weekend.

Finishing in the position above Fremantle would be the cherry ontop of this trade.

I don't see many sides above you on the ladder who I think you can rise above at the moment. Commiserations - I have a soft spot for the Dees, hopefully things turn around very quickly from Round 1 2021 onward.

North now have an interesting problem with how they use this pick. Do they A trade it for an established star B use it to fill one of their needs or C use it on the best available talent on the trade.

Like us, they need more big bodied gut running inside mids.

They should try sign up Zac Williams as a Free Agent, than hit the draft hard in the first couple of rounds, than perhaps try sniff around to trade for a Dan Butler type bargain.

It's going to take Shaw and Brady Rawlings a couple of years to turn around this meat and potatoes type of honest but not really elite type list that Brad Scott and Cam Joyce constructed..

Would try get Pittard off the books ASAP too. On too much coin for not a list Clogger but a player who is way too inconsistent.

tenor.gif

Melbourne are nothing short of an embarrassment of an organisation. Happy to watch North draft another LDU and balls it up though.

Melbourne are nothing short of an embarrassment of an organisation. Happy to watch North draft another LDU and balls it up though.

If it wasn't for 2016, your club would be regarded as one as well.

Pretty gutless to sink the boots into a club and it's long suffering supporters when they are struggling and your team is flying.

Melbourne's problems is similar to what you guys went through under Brendon McCartney. And of course they shot themselves in the foot with that Steven May trade.

But I do really feel bad for their supporters, their last 20 years bar 2018 have been as bleak and depressing as my mob.

I am sure the Dees will come good again once they get rid of Goodwin and Josh Mahoney (who does come across as bit of a lemon to be honest)

Give the Dees a decent coach and general manager, and I think they can turn things around fairly quickly.

But as I say , lay off the sledging (or take it to their bay),their supporters now how bad their team is travelling, no need to sink the boots in, seems somewhat classless (and yes I know Carlton fans were probably the worst of the lot in the pre internet era in that regard)

If it wasn't for 2016, your club would be regarded as one as well.

Pretty gutless to sink the boots into a club and it's long suffering supporters when they are struggling and your team is flying.

Melbourne's problems is similar to what you guys went through under Brendon McCartney. And of course they shot themselves in the foot with that Steven May trade.

But I do really feel bad for their supporters, their last 20 years bar 2018 have been as bleak and depressing as my mob.

I am sure the Dees will come good again once they get rid of Goodwin and Josh Mahoney (who does come across as bit of a lemon to be honest)

Give the Dees a decent coach and general manager, and I think they can turn things around fairly quickly.

But as I say , lay off the sledging (or take it to their bay),their supporters now how bad their team is travelling, no need to sink the boots in, seems somewhat classless (and yes I know Carlton fans were probably the worst of the lot in the pre internet era in that regard)
We won finals in mid 2000’s. Madd prelims for 3 consecutive years from 2008-10. Made two prelims in 97-98. We Made finals in 15. And made finals last year. We wouldn’t ever be regarded in the same category as Melbourne.

Back