Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If it wasn't for 2016, your club would be regarded as one as well.

Pretty gutless to sink the boots into a club and it's long suffering supporters when they are struggling and your team is flying.

Melbourne's problems is similar to what you guys went through under Brendon McCartney. And of course they shot themselves in the foot with that Steven May trade.

But I do really feel bad for their supporters, their last 20 years bar 2018 have been as bleak and depressing as my mob.

I am sure the Dees will come good again once they get rid of Goodwin and Josh Mahoney (who does come across as bit of a lemon to be honest)

Give the Dees a decent coach and general manager, and I think they can turn things around fairly quickly.

But as I say , lay off the sledging (or take it to their bay),their supporters now how bad their team is travelling, no need to sink the boots in, seems somewhat classless (and yes I know Carlton fans were probably the worst of the lot in the pre internet era in that regard)

But 2016 did happen.

Finishing in the position above Fremantle would be the cherry ontop of this trade.
Im interested to see the final washup at the end of this season in regards to both Fremantles points deficit and how that affects their first round draft pick (potentially dropping), and our holding Melbournes 1st round pick. Based upon the current ladder we would have pick 2 (Melbournes pick traded to us) and our own pick 6. Freo would have pick 3 before their points deficit is taken into account, not sure what this would change their pick to?

Im interested to see the final washup at the end of this season in regards to both Fremantles points deficit and how that affects their first round draft pick (potentially dropping), and our holding Melbournes 1st round pick. Based upon the current ladder we would have pick 2 (Melbournes pick traded to us) and our own pick 6. Freo would have pick 3 before their points deficit is taken into account, not sure what this would change their pick to?

In the current scenario, Fremantle would move to #4 and Geelong (Who hold West Coats 1st Round Pick) would move to #3.

Their deficit is only 200 points, meaning in any realistic scenario they are only moving down 1 pick. So only benefits the team that finishes directly after them.

1593991767274.png

The knives are out.

Lets see if they respond.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/melbourne

Melbourne set to lose big in trade deal with North Melbourne
After missing out on Ben King when it traded for Steven May, Melbourne faces the prospect of another trade blunder. The Demons must start winning to limit the damage of their pick swap with North Melbourne.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun

Melbourne is staring down the barrel of a disastrous trade deal with North Melbourne as it stagnates in second-last on the ladder.

The Demons backed themselves in to fly up the ladder when they secured the Roos’ No.8 selection of 2019 for last year’s No.26 and 50 picks plus this year’s first-rounder.

North Melbourne would have won the trade on pure points value even if the Demons finished first this year given Melbourne’s determination to secure the impressive Kosi Pickett.

But with the Demons languishing in second-last spot, the trade will be woefully imbalanced unless they can rise up the ladder in the next 12 weeks.

Every selection in the national draft is allocated a points total so clubs can weigh its value in complicated trades.

The Demons have an extra game in hand but even on a comparison that puts them third-last given an extra win the imbalance is jarring.

North Melbourne currently has 3226 draft points in the deal compared to the Demons’ 1551, with the Demons effectively handed an extra No.8 selection in points value.

Melbourne secured Kysaiah Pickett in last year’s draft. Picture: Getty Images

Melbourne secured Kysaiah Pickett in last year’s draft. Picture: Getty Images

The Roos have their own first-rounder this year plus the Demons selection at pick two, having been prepared to bide their time last year.

The Roos picked up Charlie Comben with pick 31, Jack Mahony with pick 34 and Flynn Perez at pick 35, with Mahony having already made an impressive debut.

Melbourne was able to trade back into the second round of the draft last year and secure the exciting half back Trent Rivers so can still save its position with late-season wins.

Carlton eventually saved itself from what seemed a disastrous deal to hand its 2019 first-round draft pick to Adelaide to secure Liam Stocker in the 2018 national draft.

Last year it seemed they would hand over a top-three selection to Adelaide but they won six of their last 11 games and Adelaide finished 11th.

It meant Carlton secured the No.9 pick and split it to turn it into No.17 draft pick Brodie Kemp and No.20 pick Sam Philp, who has made his debut.

Jack Mahony playing his second AFL game against the Bulldogs last weekend. Picture: Getty Images

Jack Mahony playing his second AFL game against the Bulldogs last weekend. Picture: Getty Images

The Blues believe Stocker will eventually be a hard running inside mid but he hasn’t featured in selection this year.

If Melbourne had kept its first-rounder this year and played finals it could have been pushed well back by father-son and academy bidding.

Trading up was a sound strategy given Pickett’s encouraging tackling pressure – if not offensive output yet – but relied upon the Demons playing well in 2020.

“Part of our strategy during this trade period was to improve our draft position by using our future picks,” football boss Josh Mahoney said after the trade.

“Next year’s draft will have a high number of talented Academy players, and we value another top selection in this draft.

“Clubs can trade picks right up until the draft and on draft night under AFL rules and having picks 3 and 8 gives us options and flexibility.”

Even if Melbourne come second last (still think they come above Freo or Sydney anyway), they still landed their small forward they haven't had in years. Was it overs maybe, but they got their man. Will be a win-win trade.

Even if Melbourne come second last (still think they come above Freo or Sydney anyway), they still landed their small forward they haven't had in years. Was it overs maybe, but they got their man. Will be a win-win trade.

Not sure that's how it really works.

Not sure that's how it really works.

They have needed a small forward, they easily got the best one in the draft in Pickett who looks a jet. North get a high first this year and that helps your side develop/trade capital (especially with your NGA player who will cost a bucket) whichever way you go. Don't see this as a bad trade by Melbourne. Is it perfect, no...in an ideal world they wouldn't be bottom 4, but in theory it was a sound trade.

They have needed a small forward, they easily got the best one in the draft in Pickett who looks a jet. North get a high first this year and that helps your side develop/trade capital (especially with your NGA player who will cost a bucket) whichever way you go. Don't see this as a bad trade by Melbourne. Is it perfect, no...in an ideal world they wouldn't be bottom 4, but in theory it was a sound trade.

If the trade results in #2, #26 and #50 ~ that is an unmitigated disaster. Pickett would have to become the next Peter Matera to justify it.

That is just about enough currency to get any player in the league on the open market at the trade table, let alone simply a promising 19 year old small forward that was at times 8-10 weeks out from the draft, expected to be picked in the 20's.

They could get Charlie Cameron with those sorts of picks, let alone a kid that 'might' be the next Charlie Cameron.

As much as people are saying in this thread we can't judge this until we know what picks we get and who we select, well I think some people are going equally as early on Pickett at the moment. He is no way an absolute lock of a draft hit yet like he's being portrayed at the moment.

If the trade results in #2, #26 and #50 ~ that is an unmitigated disaster. Pickett would have to become the next Peter Matera to justify it.

That is just about enough currency to get any player in the league on the open market at the trade table, let alone simply a promising 19 year old small forward that was at times 8-10 weeks out from the draft, expected to be picked in the 20's.

They could get Charlie Cameron with those sorts of picks, let alone a kid that 'might' be the next Charlie Cameron.

As much as people are saying in this thread we can't judge this until we know what picks we get and who we select, well I think some people are going equally as early on Pickett at the moment. He is no way an absolute lock of a draft hit yet like he's being portrayed at the moment.

Pickett we may be going early, but usually your eyes don't deceive you, does things that tell me he'll be good. Now how good is the issue. If he gets to a Cameron level, the trade is more than reasonable.

I really hate these "who won which trade", no one will know for 5 years minimum. Pickett may well be worth what they paid.

Will North even have that as a live pick? Who knows. If I were Sydney, Freo I'd be bidding on your NGA if only to force you to use that pick. Similarly teams should have bid on Green last year, was ridiculous he went at pick 10!

Pickett we may be going early, but usually your eyes don't deceive you, does things that tell me he'll be good. Now how good is the issue. If he gets to a Cameron level, the trade is more than reasonable.

I really hate these "who won which trade", no one will know for 5 years minimum. Pickett may well be worth what they paid.

Will North even have that as a live pick? Who knows. If I were Sydney, Freo I'd be bidding on your NGA if only to force you to use that pick. Similarly teams should have bid on Green last year, was ridiculous he went at pick 10!

We don't have any NGA's this year.

They had bigger holes than small forward to fill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They had bigger holes than small forward to fill.

Given that is one arguably one of the hardest positions on the ground to find a quality one, it was a good call by Melbourne. And pray tell us what other small forwards The Dees had which made him an non essential recruit (in your opinion)

Given that is one arguably one of the hardest positions on the ground to find a quality one, it was a good call by Melbourne. And pray tell us what other small forwards The Dees had which made him an non essential recruit (in your opinion)

Pickett wasn't the first small forward picked in last years draft.

Pickett wasn't the first small forward picked in last years draft.

Wasn't he the first available one at the pick the Dees got with North's pick ?

Anyhow this trade does look bad for them on paper, but Kosi has arguably been the biggest shining light so far for The Dees this season, so it's hard to actually gauge who has won this trade (I think Melbourne will win this week against a Rowelless Suns and leap frog a couple of teams on the ladder)

Feels awful sorry the lack of sleep is stuffing me up, got you mixed with the Dogs my sincere apologies.

Not a concern at all. Hope you catch up on sleep mate.

Wasn't he the first available one at the pick the Dees got with North's pick ?

Anyhow this trade does look bad for them on paper, but Kosi has arguably been the biggest shining light so far for The Dees this season, so it's hard to actually gauge who has won this trade (I think Melbourne will win this week against a Rowelless Suns and leap frog a couple of teams on the ladder)

Liam Henry went at #9.

Have to assume North will use one of their first picks this year to have another crack at Papley (giving up both would be overs imo, but you never know what North will do, the Swans will play hardball again i think)

Bring in Zac Williams, Papley and still have a first round pick to address a glaring list issue (like another tough inside mid like Cunnington) and The Roos list all of a sudden looks pretty damn good.

There would be a lot of appeal in playing for a lower profile club in Vic like North I reckon (not as much media recognition and pressure from feral supporters, more likely to have a more peaceful private and social life, once COVID19 ends)

They will be big players at the Trade Period, one suspects.

Yeah that was an academy selection whom Carlton bid on (and put Freo into deficit:).

He was always going to be a Docker.

Irregardless, he was still the best small forward in the draft.

It would be kind of like ignoring JUH and saying DGB was the best tall in this draft.

Irregardless, he was still the best small forward in the draft.

It would be kind of like ignoring JUH and saying DGB was the best tall in this draft.

Not denying Henry was the best available small forward in last year's draft, just pointing out that he was only going to Freo (shame on the other clubs too chicken s**t to bid on him and Tom Green like Carlton did)

Have to assume North will use one of their first picks this year to have another crack at Papley (giving up both would be overs imo, but you never know what North will do, the Swans will play hardball again i think)

Bring in Zac Williams, Papley and still have a first round pick to address a glaring list issue (like another tough inside mid like Cunnington) and The Roos list all of a sudden looks pretty damn good.

There would be a lot of appeal in playing for a lower profile club in Vic like North I reckon (not as much media recognition and pressure from feral supporters, more likely to have a more peaceful private and social life, once COVID19 ends)

They will be big players at the Trade Period, one suspects.

As Carlton worked with us well, I actually hope if Paps wants to go we do let him, within reason of course. This year was different.

Back