Traded North Melbourne trade #8 to Melbourne for #26, #50 & 2020 1st Round Pick

Who won this trade?

• North Melbourne

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Still pretty content with this. Pickett was a need for us and I've got faith he will become a very good player, has probably suffered a bit from not having any VFL this year as would have liked him to build some confidence there after a few down weeks. Its a very tough year to get a gauge on kids but North will back themselves in to pick a quality player and providing the gap between Pickett and whoever they pick this year isn't massive one way or another I'd say it'll be a win-win.

Still pretty content with this. Pickett was a need for us and I've got faith he will become a very good player, has probably suffered a bit from not having any VFL this year as would have liked him to build some confidence there after a few down weeks. Its a very tough year to get a gauge on kids but North will back themselves in to pick a quality player and providing the gap between Pickett and whoever they pick this year isn't massive one way or another I'd say it'll be a win-win.

It's not Pickett vs the kid this year.

Perez has already debuted and comes into the equation also.

It's not Pickett vs the kid this year.

Perez has already debuted and comes into the equation also.

We used a 2020 pick beyond 10 for Pickett last year and we didn't compromise any of our other selections with Jackson and Rivers - I'm sure we're happy with that. It's immaterial to me what North do.

crazy that your team will either make finals or miss out on finals altogether depending on the deomons vs bombers game and dogs vs freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure why North fans are falling over themselves to argue that they won this trade. If you were to ask Melbourne supporters a year on, knowing what we know now, 95% would happily do the trade again. We got exactly the kind of player we need, and another player who looks a gem in Rivers, without needing to gamble on what kinds of players might still be available by the middle of the first round this year. The player that North select could up being better than anyone we selected last year, but that doesn't change the fact that we made the trade on the basis of the fact that we knew there was a player available in 2019 that we both wanted and needed. That's how trading works and why teams bother to trade in the first place. To "win" a trade means to improve your list, and that's exactly what we did.

It's not only ridiculous to try to needle opposition fans over who got the better end of this deal when we still don't even know where in the draft that pick will fall, but it's also completely beside the point because Melbourne are already happy with how it turned out, regardless of what happens next. So, if you're also happy - great! Enjoy your magic mystery box, none of us really give a s**t.

I'm not sure why North fans are falling over themselves to argue that they won this trade. If you were to ask Melbourne supporters a year on, knowing what we know now, 95% would happily do the trade again. We got exactly the kind of player we need, and another player who looks a gem in Rivers, without needing to gamble on what kinds of players might still be available by the middle of the first round this year. The player that North select could up being better than anyone we selected last year, but that doesn't change the fact that we made the trade on the basis of the fact that we knew there was a player available in 2019 that we both wanted and needed. That's how trading works and why teams bother to trade in the first place. To "win" a trade means to improve your list, and that's exactly what we did.

It's not only ridiculous to try to needle opposition fans over who got the better end of this deal when we still don't even know where in the draft that pick will fall, but it's also completely beside the point because Melbourne are already happy with how it turned out, regardless of what happens next. So, if you're also happy - great! Enjoy your magic mystery box, none of us really give a sh*t.
It’s a fair rant from a poster saying they don’t care what happens.

This is what the thread is for - debate who did well in a trade.

It’s going to be pick 9 unless 2 things happen - Freo beat the Dogs and the Dees beat the eagles in Perth. The top 10 looks very exciting this year.

While you probably can't judge this trade so early on, as a neutral in this i'll weigh in anyway:

1st: Freo by daylight. Serong will be a generational player and both North and the Dees had the pick in their hands and let it pass.
2nd: Dees. Pickett and Rivers will both play 200 games, and i'd imagine a lot of them will be pretty damn good. But neither will be the quality of a Serong
3rd: North. The fans in this thread will try and dress it up all they like, but they gave up a pick that ended up with a gun. Now they'll get a worse pick in a worse draft, and will have less evidence to judge the players. Plus it's an extra 12 months of development lost. Not entirely their fault, who the hell saw CoVID coming, but I suspect the football department got seduced by winning 'on points' rather than taking the bird in the hand. No idea if the spare change will be any good - but nothing so far to suggest it will.

While you probably can't judge this trade so early on, as a neutral in this i'll weigh in anyway:

1st: Freo by daylight. Serong will be a generational player and both North and the Dees had the pick in their hands and let it pass.
2nd: Dees. Pickett and Rivers will both play 200 games, and i'd imagine a lot of them will be pretty damn good. But neither will be the quality of a Serong
3rd: North. The fans in this thread will try and dress it up all they like, but they gave up a pick that ended up with a gun. Now they'll get a worse pick in a worse draft, and will have less evidence to judge the players. Plus it's an extra 12 months of development lost. Not entirely their fault, who the hell saw CoVID coming, but I suspect the football department got seduced by winning 'on points' rather than taking the bird in the hand. No idea if the spare change will be any good - but nothing so far to suggest it will.
So do you look at all trades like this? Instead of smith, stinger and Shiel you could have Butters, Georgiedis, Balta, Worpel and Oscar Allen?

How do you know this draft is worse? McDonald and JUH are being spoken about as the best 2 forwards hitting the draft since Buddy and Phillip tracking like Rowell. The extra development is a non factor - our kid could be good from day 1.

Pick 8 for pick 9, 26 and 50 - not sure we need to dress anything up. This a great deal.

Having 2 picks in the top 10 gives us a lot of flexability and with some teams needing to trade out picks it opens up a lot of options.

Perez is also a factor who did some good things v the eagles.

So do you look at all trades like this? Instead of smith, stinger and Shiel you could have Butters, Georgiedis, Balta, Worpel and Oscar Allen?

How do you know this draft is worse? McDonald and JUH are being spoken about as the best 2 forwards hitting the draft since Buddy and Phillip tracking like Rowell. The extra development is a non factor - our kid could be good from day 1.

Pick 8 for pick 9, 26 and 50 - not sure we need to dress anything up. This a great deal.

Having 2 picks in the top 10 gives us a lot of flexability and with some teams needing to trade out picks it opens up a lot of options.

Perez is also a factor who did some good things v the eagles.
Really not sure what Essendon's draft/trade history has anything to do with this thread? In the very post before mine you stated the thread is about debating about who did well in a trade. The minute someone suggests something that you don't want to hear, you throw your toys out of the cot in a tantrum.

And i've got news for you - every year the draftees get talked about being the next Buddy/Hawkins/Dangerfield. Most of us are smart enough to understand that or at least have the sense to not go around bragging about it before you've even drafted a player ...

Really not sure what Essendon's draft/trade history has anything to do with this thread? In the very post before mine you stated the thread is about debating about who did well in a trade. The minute someone suggests something that you don't want to hear, you throw your toys out of the cot in a tantrum.

And i've got news for you - every year the draftees get talked about being the next Buddy/Hawkins/Dangerfield. Most of us are smart enough to understand that or at least have the sense to not go around bragging about it before you've even drafted a player ...
You posted we missed on Serong - he may not have been on our board to use the pick on. I just pointed out you can make any trade look bad if you try hard enough - like taking I did with Stringer and co.

Pick 8 swapped for 9, 26 & 50 is not a good result? If big footy at its finest!! Maybe you should get re-tested

You posted we missed on Serong - he may not have been on our board to use the pick on. I just pointed out you can make any trade look bad if you try hard enough - like taking I did with Stringer and co.
No you posted that to deflect. Don't say this thread is for debating, if you aren't interested in any opposing opinions.

So my question is, would you trade what you received from Melbourne, right now, for Serong?

No you posted that to deflect. Don't say this thread is for debating, if you aren't interested in any opposing opinions.

So my question is, would you trade what you received from Melbourne, right now, for Serong?
But who says that is who we would have taken? Would you flick the 3 players I named for the ones you could have had?

We both answer yes but it’s not a great hypothetical.

Would you trade this years pick 6 for picks 7, 26 and 50?

Back