Club History North Melbourne v Essendon 2001 - 20 Year Anniversary

Remove this Banner Ad

Great article from Fox Footy about this one; 20 years today. Remains the largest comeback victory in AFL / VFL history.

As legendary North Melbourne coach Denis Pagan headed toward the quarter time huddle, he had every reason to feel optimistic.

His Kangaroos had just banged home 12 goals in a first-quarter demolition of reigning premiers Essendon.

Instead, Pagan knew his team was in trouble.

Added footage from the re-call done last year for those who haven't seen it, or want to re-live it.

Last edited:
Great article from Fox Footy about this one; 20 years today. Remains the largest comeback victory in AFL / VFL history.

Added footage from the re-call done last year for those who haven't seen it, or want to re-live it.

You can pick it up at the 44 minute mark when down 69 points.

Kicked off in standing room that day. Early in the last quarter, older norf fan calling Cory McGrath every name under the sun, was asked how he felt about Jim & Phil Krakouer Winston Abraham etc , didn’t end well for old norf mate.

I remember I was playing under 17s that sunday so had to listen to the game on the radio on the drive back home. So weird to think they wouldnt broadcast games in melbourne live back then, I remember even the friday night games were on an hour delay.

Imagine if that was a Grand Final?!!
Game is like it was a pre-written by a hollywood producer for a blockbuster movie about an idea for an AFL game.

1st Quarter - Perfect game by North, just fun to watch even on the opposing team, weirdly.
2nd quarter - Essendon plays a perfect quarter, so fun to watch.
3rd Quarter - North actually kick ahead and play superb..Essendon stay in it barely and score back.
4th quarter - Essendon mounts another comeback and North does the same, then Essendon kick ahead and put on 2-3 goals in the last few minutes to make it a certainty.

Hilights for North were Mckernan taking epic grabs with that headband and King was everywhere, Sinclaire.
Overall it's also a game with a lot of memorable play-by-play moments and that is mirrored by the commentary teams on all stations as well.

Last edited:
A truly amazing match. I thought we were still in it at 1/4 time, down 57 points but I must say when they went 69 up, I thought we were done as we hadn't changed momentum in early part of 2nd quarter. But didn't it change quickly. The rest of that quarter was astonishing. What ruined it for me somewhat was the commentary. They were overawed by what was going in. Hawkins kept giggling like a school kid. Was a good moment when we kicked our 5th or 6th in a row in the 2nd quarter by Bolton, when Huddo says "Here they come". Always loved the way he delivered that and fit the mood so much.

Shannon Grant firing six shooters at the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back