Autopsy North Melbourne vs Brisbane at The Gabba R2 - REVIEW (Kangas by 34)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Basti, seems like he had an ok game for the Lions but I reckon he must be having a few regrets about leaving us right about now.

He didn't have much of a choice.

Was he ever that good to start with? Over his career he's played a few good games, but for the most part he has failed to deliver.

Playing 20 games in 2013, he was ranked 5th in 'marks per game' and 7th in 'total marks' for the league.

Playing 18 games in 2014, he was ranked 4th in 'marks per game' and 26th in 'total marks' for the league.

Yes, Lachie was underwhelming on the weekend. And yes, I know how much Bigfooty loves revisionism.

But "a few good games"?

Turn it up.

he sure did, he missed the north player went to a lions player they ran the ball to the forward line and kicked a goal from his turnover.

That's an interesting description of the moment in question, scoob. I've watched the game 3 times now (and that particular moment about 10 times, and in slow-motion also), and I'm not quite sure I'd describe it that way.

Gibbo has Sammy about 15 metres away to his right. Wellsy leads to the same spot. As the camera is behind Gibbo when he delivers the ball, (without seeing his smouldering eyes) it's impossible to know for sure which of the two of them he was trying to hit up. Either way, the kick heads more in Sam's direction. However, Wellsy continued on his lead and dived across in front of Sammy to attempt to take the mark. The ball spilled out and Brisbane ferried it away. If Wellsy hadn't have dived, Sammy would have taken the mark and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If anyone wants to have a squizz for themselves, it happened with 9.15 on the clock in the Last. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

I'm no mathematician but 2 games is bugger all of a sample size for all the generalisations that have been spouted on here.Its early season & it takes a few games to shake the rust off.
And what's the point with replacing a player when the VFL hasn't started yet ? You're replacing someone with a player that hasn't played a competitive game yet...that's stupid

Personally I'm loving a 2-0 start ! and couldn't give a flying fig how we played to achieve our wins

I'm no mathematician but 2 games is bugger all of a sample size for all the generalisations that have been spouted on here.Its early season & it takes a few games to shake the rust off.
And what's the point with replacing a player when the VFL hasn't started yet ? You're replacing someone with a player that hasn't played a competitive game yet...that's stupid

Personally I'm loving a 2-0 start ! and couldn't give a flying fig how we played to achieve our wins

Poty
V46

Was in Brisbane over the weekend (spewing I couldn't get to the game) and the conditions were taxing on the body. I was competing myself and suffered the worst cramps of my life (admittedly I am not a professional athlete) and so I'm pleased to see that we gave some of our prime movers a reduced load.

That's an interesting description of the moment in question, scoob. I've watched the game 3 times now (and that particular moment about 10 times, and in slow-motion also), and I'm not quite sure I'd describe it that way.

Gibbo has Sammy about 15 metres away to his right. Wellsy leads to the same spot. As the camera is behind Gibbo when he delivers the ball, (without seeing his smouldering eyes) it's impossible to know for sure which of the two of them he was trying to hit up. Either way, the kick heads more in Sam's direction. However, Wellsy continued on his lead and dived across in front of Sammy to attempt to take the mark. The ball spilled out and Brisbane ferried it away. If Wellsy hadn't have dived, Sammy would have taken the mark and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

If anyone wants to have a squizz for themselves, it happened with 9.15 on the clock in the Last. :thumbsu: :rainbow:

Yeah Gibbo was okay again, down on last week which was one of his best games but still solid. Those handballs though, it's not even the result it's also just the technique. He looks like he went to sleep drunk face down on his right hand and woke up with mega pins and needles in his arm. Handballs with a very "soft" hand which I think is part of the reason he has such imprecise disposal. Usually only handballs under pressure though so you have to cut some slack.

Playing 20 games in 2013, he was ranked 5th in 'marks per game' and 7th in 'total marks' for the league.

Playing 18 games in 2014, he was ranked 4th in 'marks per game' and 26th in 'total marks' for the league.

Yes, Lachie was underwhelming on the weekend. And yes, I know how much Bigfooty loves revisionism.

But "a few good games"?

Turn it up.
So that was 2 and 3 years ago. What's he done since?
Marking is his strength but even that he has struggled with in recent times

Poor Basti, seems like he had an ok game for the Lions but I reckon he must be having a few regrets about leaving us right about now.

He wouldn't be best 22 for us, so I strongly doubt that unless he would prefer to play for Werribee than the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wat... I don't believe it.

Wtf is a clanger if its not a direct unforced turnover which results in an opposition goal.
lol.. I know
Maybe because Swallow? I think fumbled then he copped the clanger count haha

Round 2 – Brisbane v North Melbourne: Old Stagers

April 4, 2016 by Smokie

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/round-2-brisbane-v-north-melbourne-old-stagers/

Really, I should be feeling decidedly more chipper than I am about North being 2-0 after two rounds. Take a glance around: Freo are struggling, Port look gone, West Coast were terrible at the G, and who would be a Tigers supporter? The Kangas are one of only four teams with a perfect start to the season, and I am sure that those on the inside at Arden St would be pleased.

But yet, but yet. I have these doubts. The final margin – 34 points – indicates a solid road win, but it does not tell the story of how close North came to being rolled. And believe me, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, there will be a ruthless opponent who makes North pay big-time. The manner in which the Roos both started and finished this game at the Gabba demands it. It was experience more than anything which proved decisive against the spritely Lions.

The match commenced in sweltering 31 degree Brisbane heat. For much of the first half, the older, slower North Melbourne were run off their feet chasing the tails of the younger, pacier Lions midfield. Had Brisbane not wasted their early chances (4.11 in that first half) they may well have gone into the main break with a handy lead. And from there, who knows what could have transpired? As it turned out, North steadied late in the second quarter – and this period of dominance effectively decided the game’s outcome. Although North outscored the Lions in the third term, the home team were again let down by the poor kicking in the final quarter. 4 goals 5 could so easily have been converted into something which put more pressure on a Kangaroos outfit which had effectively put the cue in the rack soon after three-quarter time.

This was a day when the three-talls combination of Waite, Petrie and Brown worked splendidly and made much of the difference. It is an understatement to say that I have been a critic of Jarrad Waite, but his work rate in the front of half of the ground was particularly impressive. And his kicking for goal (5.1) was superb. But forgive me if I am not too over-zealous with my praise – I would like to see him kick a bag against a decent team. Ben Brown is still improving; he is a beautiful set-shot kick, and importantly he provides Todd Goldstein with pinch-hitting ruck relief. It still takes a good defender to man up on him, but it must be said that Drew Petrie is more of a foil these days. These three led the Lions defenders a merry dance, and will surely do so to better credentialed defences during the season. In particular, the plodding Daniel Merrett was exposed time and again, and resorted to tactics including, but not limited to, driving late knees into stationery bodies and flailing his elbows and forearms about opponents’ heads. I am glad that his type of covert thuggery has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Daniel Wells was everywhere for North. All footy supporters would be pleased to see him back. But his return, too, has reinforced my belief that without him, our midfield (Zeibell, Cunnington, Swallow, Gibson, Jacobs) is as one-paced as a bullock dray. The contrast to the Lions’ cubs was stark.

A rollicking first-up win over Adelaide was soured somewhat by the news that our only new face from round 1, Jed Anderson, would be out for up to ten weeks with a hammy tear. Yes, we would miss his pace, but Anderson’s absence only serves to re-enforce that “sameness” look to North Melbourne’s team. Young debutantes have been few and far between over the past two seasons. Our three draftees from 2014 are yet to feature, and apparently none of our 2015 crop are certainties to play this season.

How much experience is too much? I am concerned that, apart from Goldstein, there is still too much reliance on the old stagers. Our best player on the day was Jarrad Waite, who is 33. Next best Daniel Wells is 31, and of course there is Boomer Harvey, who will turn 38(!) next month. Nick Dal Santo is 32, Drew Petrie is 33, Michael Firrito an old 32. That’s a lot of players who were born in the 80’s (and earlier).

Time can do many things, including making unstable what was once safe ground. I just hope that all those old-timers are not standing on the cliff’s edge when it suddenly decides to give way.

So, in reality, is it so wrong of me not to be utensil-a-hoop?

BRISBANE LIONS 2. 7 4. 11 7. 12 11. 17 (83)
NORTH MELBOURNE 2. 3 8. 8 13. 13 17. 15 (117)

GOALS
Brisbane Lions:
Green 2, Taylor 2,Zorko 2,C Beams, Bell, Lester, Rockliff, Walker
North Melbourne: Waite 5, Brown 3, Dal Santo 2, Gibson 2, Harvey 2, Goldstein, Petrie, Ziebell

BEST
Brisbane Lions:
Hanley, Zorko, Bewick, Taylor
North Melbourne: Waite, Wells, Ziebell, Jacobs, Brown, Swallow, Goldstein

OUR VOTES: 3 Jarrad Waite (NM), 2. Pearce Hanley (BL), 1. Daniel Wells (NM).

Old and slow.

Yet out ran and outlasted the faster, younger Crows and Lions.

Great point. I think it was a thoroughly professional win.
It was. On face value it looks somewhat unconvincing but then factor in the way in which the players were managed in the conditions and it is clear that we were happy to conceed some midfield control for longer term benefits. The football department are behaving in a considered and thoughtful manner and clearly believe that were are a very capble team with a realistic chance this year.

It was. On face value it looks somewhat unconvincing but then factor in the way in which the players were managed in the conditions and it is clear that we were happy to conceed some midfield control for longer term benefits. The football department are behaving in a considered and thoughtful manner and clearly believe that were are a very capble team with a realistic chance this year.

real prospect to expect a bit of the same this week.

No disrespect to Melbourne but we take a professional approach to this game and we should be able to get the chocolates.

Beyond that we will have 3 weeks where we are going to need to play ruthless football.

Round 2 – Brisbane v North Melbourne: Old Stagers

April 4, 2016 by Smokie

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/round-2-brisbane-v-north-melbourne-old-stagers/

Really, I should be feeling decidedly more chipper than I am about North being 2-0 after two rounds. Take a glance around: Freo are struggling, Port look gone, West Coast were terrible at the G, and who would be a Tigers supporter? The Kangas are one of only four teams with a perfect start to the season, and I am sure that those on the inside at Arden St would be pleased.

But yet, but yet. I have these doubts. The final margin – 34 points – indicates a solid road win, but it does not tell the story of how close North came to being rolled. And believe me, somewhere in the not-too-distant future, there will be a ruthless opponent who makes North pay big-time. The manner in which the Roos both started and finished this game at the Gabba demands it. It was experience more than anything which proved decisive against the spritely Lions.

The match commenced in sweltering 31 degree Brisbane heat. For much of the first half, the older, slower North Melbourne were run off their feet chasing the tails of the younger, pacier Lions midfield. Had Brisbane not wasted their early chances (4.11 in that first half) they may well have gone into the main break with a handy lead. And from there, who knows what could have transpired? As it turned out, North steadied late in the second quarter – and this period of dominance effectively decided the game’s outcome. Although North outscored the Lions in the third term, the home team were again let down by the poor kicking in the final quarter. 4 goals 5 could so easily have been converted into something which put more pressure on a Kangaroos outfit which had effectively put the cue in the rack soon after three-quarter time.

This was a day when the three-talls combination of Waite, Petrie and Brown worked splendidly and made much of the difference. It is an understatement to say that I have been a critic of Jarrad Waite, but his work rate in the front of half of the ground was particularly impressive. And his kicking for goal (5.1) was superb. But forgive me if I am not too over-zealous with my praise – I would like to see him kick a bag against a decent team. Ben Brown is still improving; he is a beautiful set-shot kick, and importantly he provides Todd Goldstein with pinch-hitting ruck relief. It still takes a good defender to man up on him, but it must be said that Drew Petrie is more of a foil these days. These three led the Lions defenders a merry dance, and will surely do so to better credentialed defences during the season. In particular, the plodding Daniel Merrett was exposed time and again, and resorted to tactics including, but not limited to, driving late knees into stationery bodies and flailing his elbows and forearms about opponents’ heads. I am glad that his type of covert thuggery has gone the way of the dinosaur.

Daniel Wells was everywhere for North. All footy supporters would be pleased to see him back. But his return, too, has reinforced my belief that without him, our midfield (Zeibell, Cunnington, Swallow, Gibson, Jacobs) is as one-paced as a bullock dray. The contrast to the Lions’ cubs was stark.

A rollicking first-up win over Adelaide was soured somewhat by the news that our only new face from round 1, Jed Anderson, would be out for up to ten weeks with a hammy tear. Yes, we would miss his pace, but Anderson’s absence only serves to re-enforce that “sameness” look to North Melbourne’s team. Young debutantes have been few and far between over the past two seasons. Our three draftees from 2014 are yet to feature, and apparently none of our 2015 crop are certainties to play this season.

How much experience is too much? I am concerned that, apart from Goldstein, there is still too much reliance on the old stagers. Our best player on the day was Jarrad Waite, who is 33. Next best Daniel Wells is 31, and of course there is Boomer Harvey, who will turn 38(!) next month. Nick Dal Santo is 32, Drew Petrie is 33, Michael Firrito an old 32. That’s a lot of players who were born in the 80’s (and earlier).

Time can do many things, including making unstable what was once safe ground. I just hope that all those old-timers are not standing on the cliff’s edge when it suddenly decides to give way.

So, in reality, is it so wrong of me not to be utensil-a-hoop?

BRISBANE LIONS 2. 7 4. 11 7. 12 11. 17 (83)
NORTH MELBOURNE
2. 3 8. 8 13. 13 17. 15 (117)

GOALS
Brisbane Lions:
Green 2, Taylor 2,Zorko 2,C Beams, Bell, Lester, Rockliff, Walker
North Melbourne: Waite 5, Brown 3, Dal Santo 2, Gibson 2, Harvey 2, Goldstein, Petrie, Ziebell

BEST
Brisbane Lions:
Hanley, Zorko, Bewick, Taylor
North Melbourne: Waite, Wells, Ziebell, Jacobs, Brown, Swallow, Goldstein

OUR VOTES: 3 Jarrad Waite (NM), 2. Pearce Hanley (BL), 1. Daniel Wells (NM).

Hanley, 2 Votes.

Wat?

What a whiny piece of garbage that article from "smoky" is. Fine football analyst, too. Hanley 2 votes ...

At least I learned that Michael Firrito is an 'old' 32. I assume the author thinks Jimmy Bartel is a young 32. Dude, if you have to make s**t up, you haven't really got a proper argument.

Well I can only hope that the switch is flicked ON at my first game for the season v Fremantle. Its a long trip from Katamatite South to watch half hearted garbage. The season is now and not August.

I am expecting at the Dome for a rip snorting demolition of the s**t Fish.

I wanted to make a thread regarding our disposal but i might refrain from doing that since we won however, it's been absolutely woeful during both games. We need to sort out or kick outs and we need to work on hitting leads and handballing to players in space, not to guys under the pump. Also our clearances generally suck and go to an opposition player or straight up giving our players no chance (zieball is the master at this). We will be cut apart by teams with effective disposal. Line them up and get them to practice 20-30m kicks brad. Happy we got the win but the tape needs to be burned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back