Autopsy North Melbourne vs Brisbane at The Gabba R2 - REVIEW (Kangas by 34)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watching the game again, anyone catch that Ziebull goal? Got a free kick for in the back, where he kind of shifted his momentum into a half dive forward to win the free.

Can see LT in the background clapping and grinning with delight with the manoeuvre. Was like a proud dad. Made me laugh at least.

The Brisbane game reminded me of playing the bullies in the 80's and 90's when they were hopeless and they would drag you down to their level. Its no different from other starts to the season where players are getting used to the pace and new strategies etc but the difference is we're 2 and 0. Which is a pleasant feeling.

Just watching the game again, anyone catch that Ziebull goal? Got a free kick for in the back, where he kind of shifted his momentum into a half dive forward to win the free.

Can see LT in the background clapping and grinning with delight with the manoeuvre. Was like a proud dad. Made me laugh at least.

Jack was laughing his arse off. It's interesting really what we see as fair and not. The commentary team were unanimous that it was a free for in the back (which I agree with BTW) and yet clearly Jack was trying to draw the free. For some reason we see that as perfectly fair - the onus on the tackler to not allow themselves to be drawn - and yet many other types of free as unfair. Life sure is strange sometimes.

Okay I won't. :)

I'm on record as being both a Gibbo lover and a hater. Actually this whole debate makes me think of Rawlings a few years before he retired, there was a bit of a philosophical discussion around whether all of his positive attributes outweighed the negatives. I had the same answer then as I do with Gibson. Yes. Almost all of the time.

As it happens, I'm about the same. I certainly don't consistently defend the bloke on account of some fanboy adoration. I merely do so in an attempt to balance the incessant criticism which is, IMO, excessive and frequently without any basis in fact.

Funnily enough, the last regular "best 22" player to cop that level of criticism was also named Sam.

Leading me to conclude that this forum is home to a number of rampant anti-Samites.

As it happens, I'm about the same. I certainly don't consistently defend the bloke on account of some fanboy adoration. I merely do so in an attempt to balance the incessant criticism which is, IMO, excessive and frequently without any basis in fact.

Funnily enough, the last regular "best 22" player to cop that level of criticism was also named Sam.

Leading me to conclude that this forum is home to a number of rampant anti-Samites.
Durdin is shaking in his boots

hilly, I was replying to RobZombie mate........and no I dont hate Goldstein. When people were blowing wind up his backside in 2013/14 I wasnt. Everytime I get "mentioned" I'm only replying.......then I get quoted that I hate him. Its a continuing circle >> ce la vie.

All this denial, yet you persist with your sig ...

Power?

It was well deserved.

Higgins has had some criticism about looking slower or not as agile as last season. Just remember he had knee surgery during the nab cup. Who knows to what extent that's affecting him.

Like Ive said before my sig is a cut and paste from a Carey article in 2014.
Yes Im guilty of not circle jerking when the bigfella has an ok game.

Yes, Oz, I know where it came from. As you note, 2014, and it wasn't even appropriate then.

In 2015, he was AA ruckman, NM B&F, 10th in the Brownlow and higher than that in other media awards, most tap-outs in history and highest number of marks by a ruckman. But you left the 2014 quote there.

In one of two games this year, he took 4 contested marks in a quarter when the game was there to be won. Yet you leave the 2014 quote there.

But yeah, you just stick to your guns and stay out of that circle when he has a few OK ones.

Oh, and remain in complete denial when he has a string of sensational ones. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Oz, I know where it came from. As you note, 2014, and it wasn't even appropriate then.

In 2015, he was AA ruckman, NM B&F, 10th in the Brownlow and higher than that in other media awards, most tap-outs in history and highest number of marks by a ruckman. But you left the 2014 quote there.

In one of two games this year, he took 4 contested marks in a quarter when the game was there to be won. Yet you leave the 2014 quote there.

But yeah, you just stick to your guns and stay out of that circle when he has a few OK ones.

Oh, and remain in complete denial when he has a string of sensational ones. :thumbsu:
Say what?? I think you better go to votes for 2015.

I've been on holidays so my posting has been more limited than usual. But now that I'm back at work, I have some time to post!

Good:
We won. We are 2 zip, for the first time in a long time.
Believe it or not, the game actually looked better on TV than in real life!
Beaut beer at the German club before the game

Bad: I was at the game and it was a pretty woeful display of skills from a side that wants to win a GF.
Sh!t beer at the game

Winning ugly is still better than losing pretty.

Have just discovered I'm blocked by Greg Davis (who writes for the Courier Mail - I had to search for his name after reading his NMFC vs Brisbane match report) on Twitter for politely asking why Ben Jacobs wasn't amongst his best players in last weeks game.

And I'm being genuine, it was polite:

"hello Greg. Can you please explain why Ben Jacobs isn't listed in your best for #AFLLionsNorth? Assuming you name best."

Remarkable stuff.

Have just discovered I'm blocked by Greg Davis (who writes for the Courier Mail - I had to search for his name after reading his NMFC vs Brisbane match report) on Twitter for politely asking why Ben Jacobs wasn't amongst his best players in last weeks game.

"hello Greg. Can you please explain why Ben Jacobs isn't listed in your best for #AFLLionsNorth? Assuming you name best."

Remarkable stuff.
Some people are way too sensitive.

Remarkable stuff.

You didn't start with capital 'H' in hello?

"hello Greg. Can you please explain why Ben Jacobs isn't listed in your best for #AFLLionsNorth? Assuming you name best. #hackjourno"

Remarkable stuff.

Are you really surprised with a hashtag like that?

You knobs need to realise that your golden boy Cunnington is a big problem if we want to win a flag. I a a big fan, but he goes missing all the time. Great example tonight when he gets 8 possessions in the first then disappears.

The reality is, if you want to put teams away you need Cunners and Ziebs getting 25+ Every week. You can keep blaming Gibbo and Hansen, but until that happens we are also rans.

It's NOT about 25+ possessions it's the quality disposal (to advantage) that's the difference. Zebs had a much better game against Bris compared to the junk disposals (least efficient North player vs Adel) even though he got 27 touches in R1.

The reality is that the defensive work rate needs to be up. Look at Waite. He applies tackles and chases the opponent forcing a turnover = leads to a North goal.

Pressure is the REAL STORY. The Dees have a young timid team with a few lazy bastards running around for them who have been insipid for complete quarters so far this season.
If North think that playing a lazy game is ok... it's gonna be a Dental Chair game. I prefer to North going in hard from the get-go and blowing them away with a big start.... that can happen only if everyone is 'switched on'.

The Dees are not a team to spook North but I'll be VERY dissappointed if North can't win by 70+. Have seen the Dees twice Live this season (working at the G helps) and I can say that insipid is what they serve up even without pressure.

The cut and paste is in defense that I thought he needed to mark the ball more (my opinion).........and it appears others (as in Carey) felt the same. Go through the threads where DarwinRoo and I had a heated debate regarding this > that I thought he needed to mark the ball more.

So in Rd 1 / last qtr where he went beserk >>>>> you wouldnt have seen a happier man when he does this. But years ago he found himself mid-game and the ball flying to him if he were out of position to take the mark he didnt try to tap the ball forward. He wouldnt or couldnt find a way to contest. That was part of his game he needed to lift. How many times did we see Petrie so deep, to be a target for our players kicking out of defense? These are the days when we had Hansen and Tarrant up forward or injured.......Petrie's hard running ( pre Waite) often is underrated but that's another story.

Can you remember about 4 yrs ago where there was a shot for goal against us after 1st qtr/halftime/3rd qtr time siren (I cant remember) where Goldstein was critisised in the Media ( AFL 360 I think/ David King ) where Goldy didnt find himself (Nth's tallest player) on the goal line to get a finger on it. This happened twice in a space of 5 weeks..........back then it was part of his learning curve > fair enough, he addressed it, learnt from those errors and goes forward to work on other parts of his game >> last year with contesting in the air and being a release valve with that kick out from defense.

I'm happy to be potted dont get me wrong.....Im big enough and ugly enough to do so. There's the physicality in Goldstein's game thats needs addressing......in a week where the explayers in the media were all frapping over Mumford and his "presence" on the park. Now we all know Goldstein's engine , tap work and general ability to get up each week is classes above Mumford's but this guy is a beast when it comes to hurting the opposing players. I'm happy to see Goldstein improve this area. I'm particularly interested how he goes the upcoming Hawthorn game.

We mentioned last week where we hadnt seen this playing group be so brutal in their tackling........we all loved it yeah ?? I want Goldstein to have some venom as well and hurt the opposition when he lays those tackles.....is this a crime?? He is our top dog , our protector/enforcer on the park.

Waite does it almost everytime he has the chance (and prior to him coming over to us) to dig that foot into that player who happens to be under him when flies for a mark. It's byplay of the game to hurt and reduce the opposing players influence on game day. I would prefer to see alittle from Goldstein.

Again on finishing....I do not dislike the man, I enjoy his efforts. When he plays well he gets my votes, when he doesn't, he gets "the soup nazi" treatment.
If this hurts your or anyone else's feelings, so be it. If thats denial, on a forum site.......well thats just laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back