Preview North Melbourne vs Essendon, Docklands, 17/07/15 @ 7:50 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapping Steinberg for Giles literally has no impact on speed. That's a very strange comment.
You over estimate Giles speed and I was talking about the forward line and around the ground Vs Goldstein with the first sentence. It's not a direct swap and you know it.

Your impatience with Steinberg never fails to surprise me given your patience with many other kids.

Anybody want a couple of Tickets for tonight's game. i am a AFL member but unable to go tonight.. can have have them for $10 each pretty much what i paid for them with booking fee. Seats are on Level 3 Aisle 14 M . inbox me if anybody is interested.

You over estimate Giles speed and I was talking about the forward line and around the ground Vs Goldstein with the first sentence. It's not a direct swap and you know it.

Your impatience with Steinberg never fails to surprise me given your patience with many other kids.
McKernan will be playing forward more than Giles and he's definitely quicker than Hooker. There is a minimal impact on speed in the forward line and in general when making that change.

He's a 191cm key defender who is forced to play as a 197cm key defender because he lacks the agility to play as a 191cm defender. He's a good bloke and I hope he succeeds but he'll never be more than a good VFL player.

McKernan will be playing forward more than Giles and he's definitely quicker than Hooker. There is a minimal impact on speed in the forward line and in general when making that change.

He's a 191cm key defender who is forced to play as a 197cm key defender because he lacks the agility to play as a 191cm defender. He's a good bloke and I hope he succeeds but he'll never be more than a good VFL player.
You know this after how many AFL games? You aren't willing to see improvement because you've stated this on many occasions.

So McKernan plays forward and then where does Giles go? Giles won't be that great against Goldstein in the ruck, the last thing we need when we know we will be losing there is to give Goldstein an advantage around the ground too.

You know this after how many AFL games? You aren't willing to see improvement because you've stated this on many occasions.

So McKernan plays forward and then where does Giles go? Giles won't be that great against Goldstein in the ruck, the last thing we need when we know we will be losing there is to give Goldstein an advantage around the ground too.
He's had as many years in the system as Heppell. He has never shown tangible improvement in athleticism to play as a proper 191cm defender.

Giles goes into the ruck where McKernan usually gets smashed at the stoppage and tries to break even.Going in with 1 ruck against Todd Goldstein is just daft.

He's had as many years in the system as Heppell. He has never shown tangible improvement in athleticism to play as a proper 191cm defender.

Giles goes into the ruck where McKernan usually gets smashed at the stoppage and tries to break even.Going in with 1 ruck against Todd Goldstein is just daft.
Why on earth would you compare a speculative mid sized defender/forward against a highly touted midfielder?

All players develop at different rates. Steinberg also did not really come through the standard path.

He has played less than 10 AFL games. Your lack of patience is bewildering. I'm not saying that Steinberg will turn out to be a champion but I see improvement and think now is the time to give him a run at it. Where is the down side? We know what Giles will bring. We know what Hooker can do down back.

Giles of the one year of good form for GWS would be a decent prospect. Giles otherwise does not give us much more than one ruck and hampers us on the flip side.

It's not the ideal set of options to be presented with but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Giles out pointed Goldstein in the ruck previously when GWS played North.

Defenders take a while to hit their straps. A lot of it comes down to experience. I recall when guys like Gibson (Hawks) was hopeless. And it wasnt too long ago that Dons wanted to trade Hooker.

Give Steinberg a go.

He is a nice mark, reads the play well and delivers the ball well. And he is not slow. He is a team player.

Myers went head to head with Ziebell in the final and belted him.

Myers is recorded as spending the bulk of his time on Gibson in the EF.

Granted Ziebell's numbers were low that night but he played high HFF in the first half and deep FP in the second half. He did spend some time on Watson in the middle though at times.

Out of 12 possessions he had something like 9 score involvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myers is recorded as spending the bulk of his time on Gibson in the EF.

Granted Ziebell's numbers were low that night but he played high HFF in the first half and deep FP in the second half. He did spend some time on Watson in the middle though at times.

Out of 12 possessions he had something like 9 score involvements.

I know you come in peace but that video want's to make me vomit :oops:

Why on earth would you compare a speculative mid sized defender/forward against a highly touted midfielder?

All players develop at different rates. Steinberg also did not really come through the standard path.

He has played less than 10 AFL games. Your lack of patience is bewildering. I'm not saying that Steinberg will turn out to be a champion but I see improvement and think now is the time to give him a run at it. Where is the down side? We know what Giles will bring. We know what Hooker can do down back.

Giles of the one year of good form for GWS would be a decent prospect. Giles otherwise does not give us much more than one ruck and hampers us on the flip side.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts on this eth-dog

Sorry, didn't see this.

It's not that I'm directly comparing them, it's that Steinberg has strengths and weaknesses, but his VFL game isn't transitionable to AFL due to his lack of size and athleticism. This week he can really only play on Aaron Black, but that's fraught with danger due to Black speed and agility to burn opponents.

Giles makes more structural sense due to the capabilities of the North forward line, you put Steinberg on any of the three key forwards for North and you'd be nervous, you put Hooker on Brown and everything fits into place from there with Hurley on Waite and Gwilt on Black.

Wow, I literally just heated up a pie for my lunch. Cheers.
resized_jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-you-re-welcome-192e01.jpg

I hope we line up more like;-

Steinberg Hurley Baguley
Hibberd Gwilt Gleeson
Stanton Heppell J.Merrett
Edwards Ambrose Zakka
Hooker Daniher Laverde

McKernan Goddard Z.Merrett

Langford Howlett NOB Ashby

Goldstein a HUUUUUUGE worry.....

Way too slow. Cannot believe how many people want Steinberg dropped after his best game to date. How many games at AFL level has he played so far FFS? Give the kid a chance to pick up the pace. He made some seriously good decisions last week on when to leave his man and help out. If you could not see his improvement then you are blinded by the past and far too impatient. We have more to gain than to lose this year by giving him a run at it while also seeing if Hooker is a good option up forward.
half a game, obviously. Everything else is outside the narrative and can therefore be ignored

Sorry, didn't see this.

It's not that I'm directly comparing them, it's that Steinberg has strengths and weaknesses, but his VFL game isn't transitionable to AFL due to his lack of size and athleticism. This week he can really only play on Aaron Black, but that's fraught with danger due to Black speed and agility to burn opponents.

Giles makes more structural sense due to the capabilities of the North forward line, you put Steinberg on any of the three key forwards for North and you'd be nervous, you put Hooker on Brown and everything fits into place from there with Hurley on Waite and Gwilt on Black.
Again, how do you know this? After less than ten games. Heppell was a completely irrelevant point that was comparing apples and oranges.

Would you agree that he was improved last week? What harm is there trying him for longer while he shows improvement? How will Giles help us going forward? We won't win the premiership this season, so plan forward and use the games to see what might work.

Structurally in the centre square Giles might help, but beyond that he will be a hinderance IMO.

In any case, I'm not dead set against Giles, but Giles doesn't automatically mean Steinberg gets dropped.

Again, how do you know this? After less than ten games. Heppell was a completely irrelevant point that was comparing apples and oranges.

Would you agree that he was improved last week? What harm is there trying him for longer while he shows improvement? How will Giles help us going forward? We won't win the premiership this season, so plan forward and use the games to see what might work.

Structurally in the centre square Giles might help, but beyond that he will be a hinderance IMO.

In any case, I'm not dead set against Giles, but Giles doesn't automatically mean Steinberg gets dropped.
Because I've watched him a lot more than most people on here, except maybe BrunoV and the other VFL watchers, I'd guess about 25 times in his career at the very least.

I would agree that he marginally improved last week, but the harm is that I'm 99% sure he won't make it because his game isn't transitionable to AFL level. Giles helps us going forward because we can see that McKernan at AFL level isn't great as a first ruck and it gives us the ability to assess whether he's better as a second ruck, and whether or not the Giles/McKernan combination is workable at AFL level for the next 4 years or so.

Structurally Giles helps all over the ground, completely disagree. You get your best key defender in defence, adequate support for Daniher and not allow him to play ruck because we get killed whenever he's in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back