Fixture North Melbourne vs Essendon on Good Friday

Remove this Banner Ad

While raised in a Christian family I'm not a practicing Christian. I am not against Good Friday football but I probably won't watch purely as we've got the early game and I'll be doing things with my family. If we had the late game I'd probably watch at least some of it (as it turns out Port do so I'd say the Port supporting family will be). If I lived in Melbourne I doubt I'd go for the same reason.

The only issue I have is if the people involved in the day are practicing Christians and take exception to having to play on the day based on their religious beliefs. Footy is a business and won't care for that but it is what it is I guess. A minority have to work on Christmas day etc so the AFL will see this as similar, a minority will need to get up for footy on Good Friday.

I don't mind the odd day where there's not much happening or open. I think as a society we're constantly on the go like never before and days like Good Friday, Christmas Day and to a lesser extent New Years Day bring families and friends together as there's not much else to do. Whether it be a picnic in the park, a day at the beach, a lunch at someone's house, you see a lot more of those types of activities on these days than other days of the year.

Christmas and Easter public holidays are obviously brought about due to the Christian history of Australia since white settlement but people from other religions or atheists can use the day to step back from the hustle and bustle of our existence and take time out. People can take stock, reset, then wake up the next day and life goes on, but the opportunity to do that I believe is important.

https://www.economist.com/news/2008/12/16/why-wars-happen

I take it from this article and your obvious moral superiority that you also disdain and refrain from participating in democracy owning land, having and using money and other resources, enjoying nationalistic ideals such as ANZAC and Australia day, or enjoying self determination?

Because if not then that is a stupid link and reason to hate religion, seeing plenty of other things have caused plenty more wars than religion has.

But i suppose that wasnt really your point. You just wanted to take a pot shot at religion over the internet.
Democracy and owning land might start wars but at least serve a purpose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont know if we will be apart of it every year traditionally it seems too much all these 'big' games. Id rather share this one and keep the other games as more significant ie dream time and Anzac day.

R1 - vs GWS (Spotless) AWAY
R5 - vs Kangaroos (Etihad) AWAY
R6 - vs Collingwood Anzac Day (MCG) HOME

Id say in round 3 we will likely be travelling to Perth to vs Fremantle.

Edit: Collingwood Thursday week before anzac day vs Brisbane

Last edited:
While raised in a Christian family I'm not a practicing Christian. I am not against Good Friday football but I probably won't watch purely as we've got the early game and I'll be doing things with my family. If we had the late game I'd probably watch at least some of it (as it turns out Port do so I'd say the Port supporting family will be). If I lived in Melbourne I doubt I'd go for the same reason.

The only issue I have is if the people involved in the day are practicing Christians and take exception to having to play on the day based on their religious beliefs. Footy is a business and won't care for that but it is what it is I guess. A minority have to work on Christmas day etc so the AFL will see this as similar, a minority will need to get up for footy on Good Friday.

I don't mind the odd day where there's not much happening or open. I think as a society we're constantly on the go like never before and days like Good Friday, Christmas Day and to a lesser extent New Years Day bring families and friends together as there's not much else to do. Whether it be a picnic in the park, a day at the beach, a lunch at someone's house, you see a lot more of those types of activities on these days than other days of the year.

Christmas and Easter public holidays are obviously brought about due to the Christian history of Australia since white settlement but people from other religions or atheists can use the day to step back from the hustle and bustle of our existence and take time out. People can take stock, reset, then wake up the next day and life goes on, but the opportunity to do that I believe is important.

Being an Atheist, I use the entire weekend (Friday evening included) for chilling out. :thumbsu:

My predicted first 7 weeks (Already know 3)

R1 vs GWS (AWAY)
R2 vs WBD or Crows (HOME)
R3 vs Fremantle (AWAY)
R4 vs Carlton (HOME)
R5 vs North Melbourne (AWAY - Marvel)
R6 vs Collingwood (HOME)
R7 vs Melbourne (AWAY)

Edit: sounds like R2 and R4 could be swapped around ie Carlton in round 2

Last edited:
Since we have the long break afterwards we are no longer required to play Melbourne the week after.
No but other clubs may not be happy about us getting a long break before playing them so Melbourne is a fair chance.

This helpful chart demonstrates that were the AFL to have a brain in their head and make Good Friday the same two teams every year - as in now you and us - it wouldn't interfere with Anzac Day until 2025 (even then you'd still have a five day break).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back