Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'll be more than happy for Ben Brown to kick another 10 as well as Charlie Dixon to do the same.

North's sides were very different v Port in 2019 & 2020, and 2021 will be the same with 4 of the 2020 side delisted, and a couple of others who will likely get pushed out.

In: Corr, Stephenson, Cunnington, Thomas
Out (delisted): Hosie, Vickers-Willis, Wood, Williams

I suspect Turner or Mahony will also come in for Perez.

If we can break even with the Port mids, then we'll be in the game, but Port will rightfully start warm favorites. I personally didn't think we were that bad against Port last year, all things considered.

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
North's sides were very different v Port in 2019 & 2020, and 2021 will be the same with 4 of the 2020 side delisted, and a couple of others who will likely get pushed out.

If we can break even with the Port mids, then we'll be in the game, but Port will rightfully start warm favorites. I personally didn't think we were that bad against Port last year, all things considered.
Onya Snake :) you get a ribbing on here at times but I salute your optimism.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox

Realistically as the clear and deserved favourite's for the spoon, the Roos would do brilliantly not to finish bottom 4, most likely bottom 2, so if we don't put the Roos away easily it'd be pretty disappointing.

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Your new coaching panel is looking mighty fine. Will be an interesting ride.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How do you folks see the Port side lining up?

Here's my take and the matchups.

B: Corr - McKay - Ziebell
F: Butters - Dixon - Gray

HB: McDonald - Tarrant - Atley
HF: Rozee - ??????? - Fantasia (I suspect ??????? will be Georgiades or Marshall)

C: Polec - Cunnington - Hall
C: Amon - Boak - Duursma

HF: Taylor - Zurhaar - Garner
HB: Burton - Allir - Hartlett

F: Stephenson - Larkey - Turner
B: Byrne-Jones - Jonas - Houston

R: Goldstein - Davies Uniake - Simpkin
R: Lycett - Wines - Powell Pepper

I/C: Anderson - Scott - Thomas - Xerri/J. Walker
I/C: Rockliff - Motlop - ??????? - Ladhams

How do you folks see the Port side lining up?

Here's my take and the matchups.

B: Corr - McKay - Ziebell
F: Butters - Dixon - Gray

HB: McDonald - Tarrant - Atley
HF: Rozee - ??????? - Fantasia (I suspect ??????? will be Georgiades or Marshall)

C: Polec - Cunnington - Hall
C: Amon - Boak - Duursma

HF: Taylor - Zurhaar - Garner
HB: Burton - Allir - Hartlett

F: Stephenson - Larkey - Turner
B: Byrne-Jones - Jonas - Houston

R: Goldstein - Davies Uniake - Simpkin
R: Lycett - Wines - Powell Pepper

I/C: Anderson - Scott - Thomas - Xerri/J. Walker
I/C: Rockliff - Motlop - ??????? - Ladhams

If Will Phillips isn't getting a game ahead of some of those very average names you've listed in North's side then I'd be very concerned.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If Will Phillips isn't getting a game ahead of some of those very average names you've listed in North's side then I'd be very concerned.

The kid is a gun, no doubt, but I don't know if they will debut him in round 1. They have played him on a forward flank for sections of the drills and the word is that he looks a bit lost.

He is a pure inside midfielder, and he won't get a spot ahead of Cunnington, Simpkin, Davies-Uniake or Anderson at this stage.

frankiecow

Debutant
Jun 17, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

As an inside midfielder, he's unlikely to get a game over cunners, jy, ldu or jed at this current time. Unfortunately that's the only role he knows at the moment, so unless he can add another string to his bow between now and Rd 1, then it's unlikely he plays from the get-go.

As an inside midfielder, he's unlikely to get a game over cunners, jy, ldu or jed at this current time. Unfortunately that's the only role he knows at the moment, so unless he can add another string to his bow between now and Rd 1, then it's unlikely he plays from the get-go.

Surely getting some games into the lad is important.

Surely getting some games into the lad is important.

For a team in North's position, given the choice between playing Phillips off of a wing and trying to develop him at AFL level and maybe even add some strings to his bow as an outside mid, versus pissing away games on an old dud like Aaron Hall, I'm picking Phillips every day of the week.

I'm sure they've got kids tucked away somewhere who might have more of a future at AFL level than Shaun Atley and Kayne Turner too.

For a team in North's position, given the choice between playing Phillips off of a wing and trying to develop him at AFL level and maybe even add some strings to his bow as an outside mid, versus pissing away games on an old dud like Aaron Hall, I'm picking Phillips every day of the week.

I'm sure they've got kids tucked away somewhere who might have more of a future at AFL level than Shaun Atley and Kayne Turner too.

Absolutely makes no sense not playing that kid from round 1 if he’s fit.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I reckon the "getting games in to kids" mantra is one of the biggest fallacies of AFL footy. They're ready when they're ready.

Will would get frustrated playing on a wing anyway, he plays like a terrier and instinctively must hunt the footy. He's better off as a starting mid in the VFL if he can't crack it for round 1. He'll get in to the side and the clearance rotations soon enough, as Cunnington will be spending time forward and I suspect LDU will do the same.

Hall is the fittest he's been after post season surgery, and is flying on the track. If he can recapture his 2016-2017 form then he'll make a few sit up. He did have 40 disposals & 860MG vs the premiers in 2017, and he also picked up 37, 8 tackles & 636MG vs Port in round 8 of that year.

Dumont may miss the 1st round with calf issues, so I have put Hall in his spot for now.

Suit

All Australian
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
• UCI: MTS, LTS • F1: DR, CL, MV
C: Polec - ... - Hall
C: Amon - ... - Duursma

Two players that run all day in both directions, verse two that are renown for being soft one-way running players.

Putting their attacking abilities aside, surely you felt a bit dirty typing both Polec's and Hall's names?

Edit: Typo

Last edited:
I reckon the "getting games in to kids" mantra is one of the biggest fallacies of AFL footy. They're ready when they're ready.

Will would get frustrated playing on a wing anyway, he plays like a terrier and instinctively must hunt the footy. He's better off as a starting mid in the VFL if he can't crack it for round 1. He'll get in to the side and the clearance rotations soon enough, as Cunnington will be spending time forward and I suspect LDU will do the same.

Hall is the fittest he's been after post season surgery, and is flying on the track. If he can recapture his 2016-2017 form then he'll make a few sit up. He did have 40 disposals & 860MG vs the premiers in 2017, and he also picked up 37, 8 tackles & 636MG vs Port in round 8 of that year.

Dumont may miss the 1st round with calf issues, so I have put Hall in his spot for now.

So they get ready by NOT playing?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Two players that run all day in both directions, verse two that are renown for being soft one-way running players.

I agree they are very attacking creative types, so it depends which way the ball is going.

Putting their attacking abilities aside, surely you felt a bit dirty typing both Polec's and Hall's names?

Not in the slightest. Wing has been our achilles heel for years and they're both better than what we have had in recent times.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Creating a one dimensional footballer seems a bit counterintuitive.

Yeah, it hasn't hurt most of the guns in your side.

Will is a dyed in the wool clearance-stoppage player mate. How soon he starts will all come down to strength & fitness and if looks are anything to go by then it won't be long, as I have seen very few 18 year olds turn up like this:

1613361557993.png

Anyway, enough of the North side, what are thoughts on Ports starting 22?

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Yeah, it hasn't hurt most of the guns in your side.

Will is a dyed in the wool clearance-stoppage player mate. How soon he starts will all come down to strength & fitness and if looks are anything to go by then it won't be long, as I have seen very few 18 year olds turn up like this:

View attachment 1058287

Anyway, enough of the North side, what are thoughts on Ports starting 22?

There's an appropriate thread for that too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back