Preview North Melbourne vs Port Adelaide - Round 1 @ Marvel Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it one of the more cohesive arguments made by Janus.

North are a club that absolutely need to nail every single draft pick. Organic growth is all they have because they are just about the least attractive club to go to. A graders won't go there for money, so all they can rely on is over paying for B graders and Vic Metro mummies boys who have no other options. It is very difficult to see a club like North win a premiership. The AFL give a small Vic club a scripted fairytale every decade or so, but I can't see this happening for North any time soon unless they take the Canberra/Hobart carrot which they won't. Just a waste of a spot in the league really.

I have to admit to not having read it.

Trust me everyone calls norf norf whether you are around or not.

Just like essendrugs and colliwobbles and lolthorn and the puffers.

I legitimately don’t know who the Puffers are, but I guess they must have spent a lot of time on the bench press this off season.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Being North @ Marvel the one thing Port does not want to do is to fall into the trap of going in tall and slow. We know that ends badly.

backtozero

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 26, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Being North @ Marvel the one thing Port does not want to do is to fall into the trap of going in tall and slow. We know that ends badly.

New coach and really different squad. I dont think we should be too worried about what North did a couple of years ago.

davesnothere

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
New coach and really different squad. I dont think we should be too worried about what North did a couple of years ago.

We have form at Docklands/Marvel and it’s not good. I’d need a decade of solid performances there to feel comfortable about playing anyone there. Pace though the midfield with Rocky/Ollie and Slyce is a concern. I'd look at Rocky and even Slyce if Ladhams can hold down the Ruck which is something I never thought I'd ever say.

bringbackbucky

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The game looks different and less contested so far with the new rules. Wonder if this will help or hinder us?
We play such a contested brand. Wouldn’t surprise if a few blokes get left behind. Our best side could look very different by years end if run and carry are the keys to success...

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The game looks different and less contested so far with the new rules. Wonder if this will help or hinder us?
We play such a contested brand. Wouldn’t surprise if a few blokes get left behind. Our best side could look very different by years end if run and carry are the keys to success...

I'm still concerned with our penchant for locking the ball in our forward half for long periods of time for little to no action on the score board, eg a 5 or 6 minute period against the tingles last week when they got the ball over halfway only once and we scored a paltry 2 points from at least 5 or 6 genuine opportunities.
The better teams have made us pay for that inefficiency numerous times in the past and unfortunately I can see it happening again.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think it swings out way to get Butters, Rozee, Duursma, Motlop, Fantasia & Bonner into the game more and play to their strengths. I tend to think the new rules have gone in Bonner's favour to move onto a wing to exploit the change in game style that is predicted.

Amon especially becomes even more dangerous.

What do you guys think about this?

IN: SPP
OUT: Rozee (foot), Motlop, Jones, Farrell, Mead

F: Ladhams - Dixon - Gray
HF: Butters - Georgiades - Powell-Pepper
C: Amon - Boak - Duursma
HB: Byrne-Jones - Clurey - Burton
B: Jonas (C) - Aliir - Houston
R: Lycett - Wines - Rockliff
INT: Drew - Bonner - Fantasia - Bergman

Hammer, Marshall and McKenzie play SANFL.

gbear

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 27, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
What do you guys think about this?

IN: SPP
OUT: Rozee (foot), Motlop, Jones, Farrell, Mead

F: Ladhams - Dixon - Gray
HF: Butters - Georgiades - Powell-Pepper
C: Amon - Boak - Duursma
HB: Byrne-Jones - Clurey - Burton
B: Jonas (C) - Aliir - Houston
R: Lycett - Wines - Rockliff
INT: Drew - Bonner - Fantasia - Bergman

Hammer, Marshall and McKenzie play SANFL.

Like it, but there is some doubt over SPP being ready round 1.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Realistically as the clear and deserved favourite's for the spoon, the Roos would do brilliantly not to finish bottom 4, most likely bottom 2, so if we don't put the Roos away easily it'd be pretty disappointing.

Judging by the last two weeks I do not think North are outright favourites for the spoon I reckon there is a side that could well go back to back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back