Preview North Melbourne vs St Kilda 30 July Sat at 7:25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I really like that Minch is getting a good run from the coaches. After so many years of VFL footy and then the occasional half-chance at AFL level he's finally getting a stretch of games to get used to AFL footy and build a career for himself. He hasn't been tearing games apart but he has tools we want; pace, skill, pressure and goal-sense. If he can lift his production levels up to something like 15 disposals and 1 goal per game he would be an invaluable player because he's lethal with the footy and his defensive pressure is excellent. Here's hoping it's just taking a while for him to build the confidence and get used to the tempo of AFL footy before he starts putting up some numbers like he does at VFL level.

I really like that Minch is getting a good run from the coaches. After so many years of VFL footy and then the occasional half-chance at AFL level he's finally getting a stretch of games to get used to AFL footy and build a career for himself. He hasn't been tearing games apart but he has tools we want; pace, skill, pressure and goal-sense. If he can lift his production levels up to something like 15 disposals and 1 goal per game he would be an invaluable player because he's lethal with the footy and his defensive pressure is excellent. Here's hoping it's just taking a while for him to build the confidence and get used to the tempo of AFL footy before he starts putting up some numbers like he does at VFL level.
Offers some genuine speed and something different in the midfield.
His 'meatball' size helps with pressure tackling opposed to Lonie

Thing is yes he's 22 but he's only played 20 games. Taking what he's producing now into account think how well hes going to play at 50+ match hardened games.
I think he's one of our best impact per disposal players we have.

In the paper the other day they had an article about the saints and how high we ranked for pressure acts within the league. I'm sure it said Minchington either ranked elite or well above average for pressure acts in the league. He's obviously doing exactly what Richo asks of him and when he does find the ball he is very dangerous. I'm happy with the changes and trust the couches have a plan to cover their tall forwards.

Would love the Saints to spoil Norths party. If the Saints keep the pressure up and get ahead anything more than a couple of goals watch out.

Reckon the way Dunstan has being playing is underplayed he has turned the corner and getting no love!

Not sure why everyone is bagging someone for saying they would take Goldstein, Wells and Tarrant over Steven. I think its a fair opinion.

Goldstein is the best ruck in the comp when fit. If North were a game clear on top he wouldnt be playing. Clearly carrying that knee.

Wells I would have below Steven but just last week Daniel ripped out a BOG game while apprently under an injury cloud. His best is game breaking.

Tarrant was a lock for the AA team 6 weeks ago. North's poor streak took some of the shine off but outside of Talia, McDonald and Rance (who hasnt been as amazing as the media claim) I cant think of another KPD that could be rrightly called All Australian.

And this all just makes it so much better when we kick their arses tomorrow night ;)

Watching last weeks game, up until 3 quarter time I thought that Dunstan was our second best on ground with the clearance and stoppage work that he was doing. Also Armo probably played his best game in like 2 months.

If these 2 guys can step up again this week and have an impact we will well and truly pants them!

Last edited:
Not sure why everyone is bagging someone for saying they would take Goldstein, Wells and Tarrant over Steven. I think its a fair opinion.

Goldstein is the best ruck in the comp when fit. If North were a game clear on top he wouldnt be playing. Clearly carrying that knee.

Wells I would have below Steven but just last week Daniel ripped out a BOG game while apprently under an injury cloud. His best is game breaking.

Tarrant was a lock for the AA team 6 weeks ago. North's poor streak took some of the shine off but outside of Talia, McDonald and Rance (who hasnt been as amazing as the media claim) I cant think of another KPD that could be rrightly called All Australian.

And this all just makes it so much better when we kick their arses tomorrow night ;)
Jack has performed in our best 3 in all but 1 game this year & would easily have 6 BOGs for the season already.

He's averaging:
~ 30 disposals
~ 12 CPs
~ 6 tackles
~ 6 clearances
~ 6 inside 50s

And has 13 goals from 17 games.

He's done it against the top teams as well as the lower teams.

Jack is guaranteed an AA spot, so for someone to come on here & say they prefer Wells, Goldy or Tarrant over Jack.... Not only is it disrespectful to this board, it's just a straight up wrong & shithouse opinion

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack has performed in our best 3 in all but 1 game this year & would easily have 6 BOGs for the season already.

He's averaging:
~ 30 disposals
~ 12 CPs
~ 6 tackles
~ 6 clearances
~ 6 inside 50s

Jack is guaranteed an AA spot, so for someone to come on here & say they prefer Wells, Goldy or Tarrant over Jack.... Not only is it disrespectful to this board, it's just a straight up wrong & shithouse opinion

I can understand why the average opposition supporter doesn't have as high of an opinon of Jack Steven as we do.

Because of our poor performances in recent years, we haven't had a lot of prime time games on free-to-air TV for the neutrals to watch.

We've only just started to come good this year, so a lot of supporters still won't bother watching our matches and thus won't see how far Jacky boy has come this year.

He is currently rated in the top 10 players in the competition and is only going to get better. It will take time for him to build up his reputation among the neutrals.

I can understand why the average opposition supporter doesn't have as high of an opinon of Jack Steven as we do.

Because of our poor performances in recent years, we haven't had a lot of prime time games on free-to-air TV for the neutrals to watch.

We've only just started to come good this year, so a lot of supporters still won't bother watching our matches and thus won't see how far Jacky boy has come this year.

He is currently rated in the top 10 players in the competition and is only going to get better. It will take time for him to build up his reputation among the neutrals.

If he done more media he would be.

Being picked straight away after a break, without having to her his spot back via the Zebras, could really be the vote of confidence he needs.

I read it as he would take Goldstein, Wells and Tarrant over Steven
Meaning, 3 of their players combined only just scrape in over Steven ;)

hope thre are just as many saints supporters there as north. Would be a great game with a full house given the context around the game. I've got a feeling about this one.

He's averaging:
~ 30 disposals
~ 12 CPs
~ 6 tackles
~ 6 clearances
~ 6 inside 50s

Jack is probably the second best player in the AFL on form this year. Danger probably the only one who is going better, realistic chance at a Brownlow, AA a shoe in and will possibly win a league MVP and coaches award. Goldstein is a very good ruck and probably still in the top 5 in the comp but not as good as last year, Wells is broken down and wouldn't be anywhere near the best 50 players in the comp anymore, Tarrant's brother was an okay footballer, he's kind of like Andreas Everett or Corey Mc Kernan's brother.

Jack is probably the second best player in the AFL on form this year. Danger probably the only one who is going better, realistic chance at a Brownlow, AA a shoe in and will possibly win a league MVP and coaches award. Goldstein is a very good ruck and probably still in the top 5 in the comp but not as good as last year, Wells is broken down and wouldn't be anywhere near the best 50 players in the comp anymore, Tarrant's brother was an okay footballer, he's kind of like Andreas Everett or Corey Mc Kernan's brother.

A few good players in competition to Steven for the 2nd best player! But yeah, Steven will probably go higher in the below list, if saints keep winning.

Interesting to note that apart from Gray at spot 10, all the other players (barring Steven and Shuey) are guaranteed to play finals. West Coast are a bit iffy, and it can be either of West Coast or North who will drop out. But if we are to take the AFLCA leaderboard as an indicator (probably a better indicator now than at the end of round 10), Steven should play finals this year!

2016 ROUND 18 AFLCA LEADERBOARD

85 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
80 Rory Sloane (Adel)
79 Dustin Martin (Rich)
73 Joel Selwood (Geel)
69 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
66 Luke Shuey (WC)
60 Jack Steven (St K)
59 Sam Mitchell (Haw)
59 Luke Parker (Syd)
56 Robbie Gray (PA)

Hope Brucey bobs up and kicks...10

Was just about to post about him. I also hope he bobs up and does something, does he need that glove that Travis Cloke had on the other week ?

Was just about to post about him. I also hope he bobs up and does something, does he need that glove that Travis Cloke had on the other week ?
Probably just needs 5 of the 6 blokes hanging onto him to stop hanging onto him :mad:

Everyone here chip in for a fine you reckon?
Goddard will dob him in for sure ...

Everyone here chip in for a fine you reckon?
Goddard will dob him in for sure ...
If Goddard got himself a nose like this fella, he'd then be able to use both his hands on the football ;)

site_1_rand_375871256_squiggle_101207_b_aap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back