Club Focus North Melbourne 2020 - Corr, Bosenavulagi, Stephenson, Young, Phillips, Powell, Lazaro, Spicer, Ford

AFL Club Focus

Do they need a priority pick in 2021?

• Yes

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Maybe next year

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

This version is purely based on footywire data. It cannot be manually updated.

Are North Melbourne all but certain to select McDonald or Tilthorpe with pick 2?

I'd be very very surprised if we pick Thilthorpe.

Three blokes we'd be planning to get lots of games into next year in Larkey, Xerri and Comben all play that forward/ruck role in varying degrees.

McDonald seems to be a different sort of forward so if available we could pick him sure.

Hollands I reckon if there.

Gotta pay someone to get to 95% of the cap. With Higgins and Brown gone, bringing in Stephenson for cheap picks was a smart move and they got Corr for free too.
If they snag McDonald at pick 2 they get a 10+ year KPF to build their forwardline around (Stephenson and Zurhaar make it instantly decent) then they can find mids with later picks.
Xerri will carry the ruck when Goldy retires so there's another piece they don't have to find.

Yep.

I'll get it on record here so I can be taunted with it later, but just when our going to the draft rebuild ends we'll have Cooper Harvey rock in as top five pick f/s too.

I'd be very very surprised if we pick Thilthorpe.

Three blokes we'd be planning to get lots of games into next year in Larkey, Xerri and Comben all play that forward/ruck role in varying degrees.

McDonald seems to be a different sort of forward so if available we could pick him sure.

Hollands I reckon if there.

I agree with Hollands but I like the role Thilthorpe would play. Goldstein only has a few years left and Noble has stated a number of times he likes the idea of two rucks. To put all our faith in 2 blokes that have only played a combined total of 4 games is a bit risky. It only takes an injury and we have no depth.

At the end of the day it should be best available. I think the more likely scenario though is a ruck with one of our last 2 selections.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

If McDonald is there I’d be very surprised to see North let him slip. If not then perhaps Hollands.

If McDonald is there I'll be interested to see what offers come in from other clubs.

Best mid fielder for #2, don’t care after that.

A fixed midfield helps everything else. It has been our Achilles heel for 10 years.

Agree. We need mids more than bigs.

I reckon there’s been a few already. Maybe you can snaffle something better on the night. I think though trading out of the top 5 could be a mistake.

Yeah early offers have been rejected. Let's see what shakes out on the night though.

Can you do three way deals on draft night?

Agree. We need mids more than bigs.
I have always been a firm believer that a club is more a chance to snag a good tall later on, than getting a quality elite mid later in the draft.

Lucky I’m not the one making the tough calls, as I am biased towards getting mids early.

I have always been a firm believer that a club is more a chance to snag a good tall later on, then getting a quality elite mid.

Lucky I’m not the one making the tough calls, as I am biased towards getting mids early.

McDonald and Thilthorpe are pushed up the order due to exposed form.

Back Brady and co to find a Vic tall who hasn't played all year deeper in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have always been a firm believer that a club is more a chance to snag a good tall later on, than getting a quality elite mid later in the draft.

Its harder to get quality key forwards later in drafts than quality midfielders.

I reckon history shows a majority of the gun key forwards are drafted early. It many come after the early parts of the draft. Saying that north have actually drafted Brown and Larkey late.
Definitely want a kpp with pick 11. At the end of the day, I would love any of the top 6 with pick 2. Big fan of Thilthorpe.

I reckon history shows a majority of the gun key forwards are drafted early. It many come after the early parts of the draft. Saying that north have actually drafted Brown and Larkey late.

Yep. Brown is really one of the few exceptions.

Key defenders are a lot different, in fact almost the opposite.

Moore, Weitering and Hurley were high picks but there’s been as many AA late pick defenders.

Agree with this. Gun forwards tend to be mostly first round picks and academy/father sons that would have gone high, whereas key backs can be found later.

I would be happy with either Hollands or Thilthorpe, so am hoping Adelaide takes McDonald.

Agree with this. Gun forwards tend to be mostly first round picks and academy/father sons that would have gone high, whereas key backs can be found later.

I would be happy with either Hollands or Thilthorpe, so am hoping Adelaide takes McDonald.
I feel if it’s hard to split in the rankings Adelaide will go Thilthorpe.

With all due respect (as North may be the best at it), but this couldn't be further from the truth in terms of key forwards.

In fact, these are the players drafted since 2000 that have kicked 500 goals;

1. L.Franklin - pick 5
2. N. Riewoldt - pick 1
3. J.Riewoldt - pick 13
4. J.Kennedy - pick 4
5. T.Hawkins - F/S (but would have gone top 5 in the draft)
6. J.Roughead - pick 2
That's it - lowest pick is pick 13. These are the guys that could/should get there
7. T.Walker - NSW scholarship
8. J.Cameron - pre-selection
9. T.Lynch - pick 11
(I've left out Darling and Gunston as more medium/3rd tall types)

In fact, the only player to be named CHF or FF in the All Australian team from 2000 - 2020 that was not drafted inside the top 20 is Brendan Fevola.
One player in 20 all australian teams, that was drafted 22 years ago!

By contrast, of the last 10 Brownlow medals (2011 - 2020), 6 have been won by players drafted pick 20+

D.Swan - 2011 (pick 58)
S.Mitchell - 2012 (pick 36)
M.Priddis - 2014 (pick 31)
N.Fyfe - 2015, 2019 (pick 20)
L.Neale - 2020 (pick 58)

and to be honest, you can probably add G.Ablett Jnr 2013 - (F/S) as he was never going to be picked top 20
(Also Tom Mitchell - 2018 went pick 21 (F/S) who I didn't count but is thereabouts).

Dusty and Cotchin are the only top 10 picks to win a Brownlow in the last 10 years.

With all due respect (as North may be the best at it), but this couldn't be further from the truth in terms of key forwards.

In fact, these are the players drafted since 2000 that have kicked 500 goals;

1. L.Franklin - pick 5
2. N. Riewoldt - pick 1
3. J.Riewoldt - pick 13
4. J.Kennedy - pick 4
5. T.Hawkins - F/S (but would have gone top 5 in the draft)
6. J.Roughead - pick 2
That's it - lowest pick is pick 13. These are the guys that could/should get there
7. T.Walker - NSW scholarship
8. J.Cameron - pre-selection
9. T.Lynch - pick 11
(I've left out Darling and Gunston as more medium/3rd tall types)

In fact, the only player to be named CHF or FF in the All Australian team from 2000 - 2020 that was not drafted inside the top 20 is Brendan Fevola.
One player in 20 all australian teams, that was drafted 22 years ago!
71410FE3-8594-4702-9564-8E1221C9E7A3.jpeg

Back