Club Focus North Melbourne 2021 - Greenwood, Coleman-Jones, Horne-Francis, Goater, Curtis, Bergman, Archer

AFL Club Focus
North Melbourne club thread

Spreadsheet created by Lore and Taylor, using data from footywire and AFL Tables. Version above maintained by giantroo.

To check the draft order see the thread here.

Footywire says: "While we make every effort to keep up to date with player contracts, it is likely that our data may at times be out of date, incomplete or inaccurate. If you find any player contracts that need updating, please let us know using our brand new contract submission form."

Last edited by a moderator:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
me too but if we do then the results should deem a PP
I’m sure the submission from mark evans would have been more than purely the ladder finishing position.

He would have been trying this to club finances, survival, localuptake, promotion of inter generational fans, draftee go home factor, second tier competition quality etc etc.

north Melbourne seems to have many of those factors locked down already. So whilst it may not be fair that one club gets concessions and another doesn’t - If the submission was made for NM, I don’t think it would be comparable for all the off field reasons.

I know the sheet uses footywire data but updates are needed:

Lachie Young - Contacted until 2022
Kayne Turner - 2022
Perez - 2022
Comben and Mahony - 2023
Larkey - 2024

I know the sheet uses footywire data but updates are needed:

Lachie Young - Contacted until 2022
Kayne Turner - 2022
Perez - 2022
Comben and Mahony - 2023
Larkey - 2024
I can give you an editable version if you're willing to keep it up to date?

North have ruined Larkey and Lachie Young is terrible

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
North have ruined Larkey and Lachie Young is terrible
This is the reason why i don't subscribe to rebuilding teams needing to dump anyone that will not be around for the next flag.

Ben Brown could have played an important role in continuing the development of Larkey.

Oct 19, 2012
Minas Morgul
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If I'm north melbournes list manager I'm calling all the managers of Lipinski, Rhylee West, Lin Jong, Mitch Wallis, Toby McLean and seeing what I could shake loose.

None of these guys are going to get midfield time any time soon with the depth we have and would be really good support cast to LDU, Simpkin, Phillips etc going forward.

None of them would cost any picks inside the top 30 either. McLean in particular would be a fantastic pickup (and one I'd be devastated to lose).

North's rebuild can be fast tracked with some really smart trades that are on the cheap. But really how they dig themselves out of this is if/when LDU, Simpkin, Phillips and Larkey take a step to the next level.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
This is the reason why i don't subscribe to rebuilding teams needing to dump anyone that will not be around for the next flag.

Ben Brown could have played an important role in continuing the development of Larkey.
From the stands? What he be doing? Yelling out when to lead for the ball?

He needs be a 2nd tall. He would have kicked 12 for the dogs yesterday.

given his one goal was somewhat fortuitous after spilling a chest mark I doubt he’d have kicked 12.

He does need one or two senior kp players with him though.

Bruce kicked 10. That’s all the proof I need.

At Larkey’s age Bruce had kicked 50 goals despite starting as a defender in essentially a TAC Cup team. Larkey hasn’t kicked 50 career goals yet and at his current rate might not get there this season

There’s nothing to suggest Larkey will even be as good as Bruce.

edit- to clarify: 46 of Bruce’s 50 career goals by the year he turned 23 were in that year. Larkey has 42 goals total his whole career and is 23 in June.

Naughton is better than both talent wise and he got nowhere near 10 goals

Last edited:
no hyperbolic reply Wild Bill?

let’s face it. Bruce turned 23 in June 2015. That season he kicked 46 goals in a side that finished well outside the top eight.

Larkey turns 23 June this year and has eight less career goals in 10 more games than Bruce played in 2015.

you’d be laughing if Larkey ends up even as good as Bruce, but yeah Larkey would kick 12 because Bruce kicked 10.

come on son

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
no hyperbolic reply Wild Bill?

let’s face it. Bruce turned 23 in June 2015. That season he kicked 46 goals in a side that finished well outside the top eight.

Larkey turns 23 June this year and has eight less career goals in 10 more games than Bruce played in 2015.

you’d be laughing if Larkey ends up even as good as Bruce, but yeah Larkey would kick 12 because Bruce kicked 10.

come on son
You think Larkey has had the same opportunity to kick goals as Bruce? Check out the worst players in 2020. And the list was done by a dogs supporter.

Bruce was horrible last year. Played 1 good game and 16 bad ones. If you think that was ok then you have set the bar really low.

nobody is denying last year was bad for Bruce.

he’s kicked more goals already this year than he did the whole 2020.

again, Larkey being as good as Bruce looks best-case scenario for Larkey. But he’d want to get a move on because he’s shown far less at the same age.

it’s more likely Larkey goes the way of Sam Durdin

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

again, Larkey being as good as Bruce looks best-case scenario for Larkey. But he’d want to get a move on because he’s shown far less at the same age.

Shown far less? Have a spell I think.

Bruce was a bit part player in his first 4 years and had his breakout year at 23.

Larkey won the frosty Miller at 19 years of age and has proceeded to kick 1.5+ goals a game for his career except for last year.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

Bruce wouldn’t have had a possession playing for the Roos the other today. Good when it’s easy - horrible when it’s hard. Did you see bottom 50 for 2020?

Bruce wouldn’t have had a possession playing for the Roos the other today. Good when it’s easy - horrible when it’s hard. Did you see bottom 50 for 2020?

again. Are you actually quoting a bay 13 list in a proper discussion? You are surely taking ths

Shown far less? Have a spell I think.

Bruce was a bit part player in his first 4 years and had his breakout year at 23.

Larkey won the frosty Miller at 19 years of age and has proceeded to kick 1.5+ goals a game for his career except for last year.

Bruce’s breakout year was the year he turned 23. Both he and Larkey were born in June, so this year is Larkey’s equivalent in age.

he averaged more than two goals a game that year in a six win team, kicking more goals in one season than Larkey

as for being a bit part player, he was a pre-listed gws player who was playing as a defender. You can hardly compare him to Larkey based on goal stats.

If Nick Larkey ends up as good as Bruce (averaging 1.5 goals a game over his career) North will be happy enough.

Larkey’s not your answer. He’s Bruce/Chris Dawes at best

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
again. Are you actually quoting a bay 13 list in a proper discussion? You are surely taking ths

Bruce’s breakout year was the year he turned 23. Both he and Larkey were born in June, so this year is Larkey’s equivalent in age.

he averaged more than two goals a game that year in a six win team, kicking more goals in one season than Larkey

as for being a bit part player, he was a pre-listed gws player who was playing as a defender. You can hardly compare him to Larkey based on goal stats.

If Nick Larkey ends up as good as Bruce (averaging 1.5 goals a game over his career) North will be happy enough.

Larkey’s not your answer. He’s Bruce/Chris Dawes at best
It was harsh but fair. He was putrid last year and how he kept getting a game was amazing.

Here lies a genuine flaw in how people try to discuss/view football here.

Josh Bruce isn’t a star. But he’s a 200 goal key forward. He had a horrible 2020 but most reasonable judges could see there were some mitigating factors.

The western bulldogs didn’t trade for him to be prime Nick Riewoldt, they traded him to play a role. And now he’s fitter that seems to be working.

Now, north draft a kpf with pick 70 odd. They say things like “in xx team he’d kick 12, because if Josh Bruce can he can”. I can guarantee there will be consternation about Larkey being mentioned as a Bruce/Dawes type.

it’s bigfooty 101. A player is either a star or a dud. Each young player is going to be better than your duds.

Back