News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest that all players will be given 1 year contracts only until expansion, thus giving new teams the opportunity to sign existing talent. Wether anyone would move is another story.

There is a big gap between grass roots, and successful league.
Once again, have a look at soccer. Massive participation at grassroots level, great national team (The Matildas), yet just 300 people attending national league matches.
No one watches Australian mens soccer either.

Soccer is the issue, not women.

What does a provisional license for 2018 actually mean?

Does it mean we will get a team IF the comp is expanded? At least we are in the queue when it happens, & definitely ahead of those that did not apply.

I'm also a bit suprised it will be a Feb/March comp, & not during through the main season. But I guess its all new so will be trial & error a bit.
They don't want to strip all the talent out of the local leagues, so it runs as a short season that lets the grass roots clubs keep going.

This is going to be interesting.

I can't see where the crowds come from, I can't see where the sponsorship dollars come from and I can't see a TV network getting high enough ratings to make it a success.

I hope I'm wrong because if it's a success it will be great for Woman's sport and great for the AFL.

A lot of posters on here seem to imagine the AFL is trying to create a copy of the men's competition as of next year. I haven't studied the program but I believe next year the actual program is very limited- a small number of games by a small number of teams in the off season. I don't think it is a disaster to miss out on next year. The interest is all about future potential and growth (players, members, supporters and sponsors) and I believe it is important that we are part of that through our planned academies in Melbourne, Wyndham and Tasmania. For example, I would guess that Mazda would be keen for us to have a women's team ASAP

While this may be the case for some (CSR is seen as industry best practice), it doesn't mean all social contributions are so cynically motivated. Depends a great deal on the people involved. In our case, as recent documentaries show, Peter Scanlon was keen for North Melbourne to get involved and to do it well, coming from a philosophical base. Yes, it has 'business spin offs', but it's also an end in itself.
It's not cynical at all. The club/business boosts its profile and makes more money as a result and the charity benefit from the contribution. That is win-win and not cynical in the slightest. Spin it whatever way you want but increasing revenue is ultimately the end goal of all CSR initiatives in any business and football club. For a footy club that revenue can be pumped into a football department to help win a flag.

Poster above who said that Pies & Blues were included to ensure there were two big Melbourne teams involved is probably correct and that's likely why you missed out. The marketing appeal of a clash between traditional rivals Collingwood v Carlton in the first season was probably too good for the AFL to refuse. They'll definitely play up that angle - it'll probably be the first game, if it's not Dogs v Dees. Hopefully you get a spot in 2018.

Poster above who said that Pies & Blues were included to ensure there were two big Melbourne teams involved is probably correct and that's likely why you missed out. The marketing appeal of a clash between traditional rivals Collingwood v Carlton in the first season was probably too good for the AFL to refuse. They'll definitely play up that angle - it'll probably be the first game, if it's not Dogs v Dees. Hopefully you get a spot in 2018.

like when Carlton and Collingwood thought their names would be enough to create soccer team. We're all still laughing at that one.:p

They don't want to strip all the talent out of the local leagues, so it runs as a short season that lets the grass roots clubs keep going.
That makes sense. I know one of the more successful womens clubs in Victoria has been working hard to align itself with this new comp &/or a club to ensure it both doesn't lose players & also benefits from the development of the Womens league.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In regards to women's sport and this is not a slur on women, but people generally like to watch sport at its pinnacle. This is why netball is relatively big and will be getting prime time free-to-air coverage next season. It is the highest level the sport can be watched. This is why cricket/soccer/basketball do not get the same level of interest with tennis being the exception.

It also helps that netball's participation rates are through the roof and this is what the AFL would be needing to achieve for this competition to have any chance of significant success.

A lot of posters on here seem to imagine the AFL is trying to create a copy of the men's competition as of next year. I haven't studied the program but I believe next year the actual program is very limited- a small number of games by a small number of teams in the off season. I don't think it is a disaster to miss out on next year. The interest is all about future potential and growth (players, members, supporters and sponsors) and I believe it is important that we are part of that through our planned academies in Melbourne, Wyndham and Tasmania. For example, I would guess that Mazda would be keen for us to have a women's team ASAP

I don't think that anybody is silly enough to think the AFL is trying to create a replica of the Men's comp.

I'd say Mazda would be delighted if we had a team in the comp but I don't think they would increase their investment as a result of having one. I also believe it's going to be a struggle to attract enough larger sponsors to make it cost effective.
The potential membership growth is attractive, however I don't think this will be enough on it's own.

Like i said earlier, I hope i'm wrong.

No one watches Australian mens soccer either.

Soccer is the issue, not women.
Well, I do watch australian soccer, and I am one of 20k plus Victory members.
Yet despite Victory's healthy supporter base, nobody watches their girls team, unfortunately.
Socceroos fill stadiums, but Matildas are lucky to attract couple of thousand, despite being ranked 5th in the world.

Yet despite Victory's healthy supporter base, nobody watches their girls team, unfortunately.
Socceroos fill stadiums, but Matildas are lucky to attract couple of thousand, despite being ranked 5th in the world.

This is not about viewer audiences or attendances or financial return at this stage. It's about females and their love of footy.
But there is also this issue for North:

"Daddy, Annabelle and Kate are watching the Collingwood girls this weekend. Their Dad asked me to ask if it is OK if I go with them? How come North doesn't have a women's team Dad? I think I want to barrack for Collingwood Dad".

I'm glad we have a provisional licence. We need a Women's team.
This is a critical member-protection imperative. We must make this happen in 2018.

I was keen but now it's happened I am looking at the winning licenses and thinking there is no way I am barracking for any team wearing any of those jumpers - so I assume other supporters would feel the same about a North women's team - and I'm not sure about the model. I watched the TV game but I am not going to the ground to support any of those clubs - and I am predisposed to support women's football. I'd just rather watch a local team than an opposing AFL team. When North is in, I'm in, and not before.

and this is what the AFL would be needing to achieve for this competition to have any chance of significant success.

Right now in Junior footy in Melbourne support for Girls teams is going nuts.

Isn't this just a case of professional sport previously being a man's domain and as the tide turns it will become more equal (or even women's sport may take over?

This is true in other professions e.g. medicine law etc. What we have now is that women now have a foothold that they previously didn't have. In 10 to 20 years time, their teams may be preferred.

I think it may start with competitions like this. Female pro athletes will likely become equal or more preferred with males, just as the pink collar workforce may replace traditional white collar roles

TLDR
Equality takes time.
Once equality occurs, women's sport may be the better spectacle.

Isn't this just a case of professional sport previously being a man's domain and as the tide turns it will become more equal (or even women's sport may take over?

This is true in other professions e.g. medicine law etc. What we have now is that women now have a foothold that they previously didn't have. In 10 to 20 years time, their teams may be preferred.

I think it may start with competitions like this. Female pro athletes will likely become equal or more preferred with males, just as the pink collar workforce may replace traditional white collar roles
How can you compare spectator sports to medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back